We recently spent four days at the agriturismo Il Vecchio Maneggio and it was a wonderful place for our family of four to stay on our first visit to Tuscany. Hostess Tziana and her husband make you feel like family the instant you arrive and it will remain that way throughout your stay. Tiziana loves children of any age and goes out of her way to s/mother them with affection which made our two teenagers feel very at home and happy. We wanted our kids to have cultural immersion during our two and a half weeks in Italy and France and this was exactly the kind of experience we hoped to have.
The 13th century walled town of San Gimignano is clearly visible on a hilltop across the valley from IVM and Florence, Siena, and Volterra were all about 45 minute drives away making IVM a convenient base for visiting major Tuscan attractions. Tiziana and Elisa are always ready and eager to help you plan your day trips.
A breakfast buffet and multicourse dinner are part of your stay at IVM and the food was unbelievable. While the breakfasts are terrific, the dinners, starting promptly at 800p each evening, include outstanding freshly prepared local cuisine including out of this world pasta dishes, main courses, cheese and IVM-produced honey, deserts and wonderful (and unlimited!) IVM bottled wines. Tiziana is renowned for her expertise on growing and cooking with saffron and we were fortunate enough to have saffron rice during one of the dinners (another evening we had the greatest lasagna –EVER!) The dinners are served family-style and we enjoyed delightful conversation long into the evening with not only other house guests but also dinner guests from neighboring agriturismos.
The bedrooms with private baths are clean and comfortable. The pool is large and refreshing. The family had a fun ride on IVM horses through the forest and vineyards. The kids caught fireflies after dinner. I was able to wander through the IVM vineyards and study vine pruning and trellising to apply to my own grapevines back home in the US. Tiziana can give Italian cuisine and cooking lessons. Overall, our stay at IVM was the highlight of our entire trip to both Italy and France! It would be wonderful to be there in the fall to experience the saffron and grape harvests and wine bottling. Next trip!
There may be agriturismos with greater panache and elegance, but if experiencing the charm and energy of Tuscan farm life, eating delicious regional foods and dishes, sleeping in the peaceful countryside after daily visits to hectic tourist-filled cities, and making new and warm friendships are what you seek in your travels, you’ll find them all at Il Vecchio Maneggio.
Thank you Tiziana! Carol, Clara, Ethan, and Larry
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming typical farmhouse, whose name could not be different from "Il Vecchio Maneggio" (the old Horseback Riding Centre), set on top of a hill, enjoys lovely views over the Tuscan countryside. The Pieraccini family, the owners of this organic farm, have always lived here, working the land, rearing horses and keeping bees. The old farmhouse, which has been recently restored retaining the original features of this typical Tuscan country house, today can accommodate guests in the family-run agriturismo "Il Vecchio maneggio," which offers 5 comfortable rooms; the fully equipped kitchen where Tiziana, an experienced and excellent cook, transforms the farm products and other local specialties into delicious meals, served in the large dining room whose patio doors enjoys lovely views of the medieval town of San Gimignano and of the surrounding countryside. Guests are free to discover the activities and the daily life at the farm such as harvesting, picking the olives, extracting honey, feeding horses and other animals of the farm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Studio Scivoletto S.r.l. so you can book your Agriturismo Il Vecchio Maneggio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agriturismo Il Vecchio Maneggio Hotel San Gimignano
- Agriturismo Il Vecchio Maneggio San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy