“A unique taste of Tuscany!”

Agriturismo Casa alle Vacche
Torino
“A unique taste of Tuscany!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Wonderful location to spend some time in a niche area of the Tuscany. Casa alle Vacche is run by a very nice family of excellent wine producers, the location is situated in a prominent area with a stunning view of the Chianti's Hill just in front of San Gimignano (5mins by car). Lovely rooms allow to re-discover the tipical taste of the Tuscan countryside. You can't miss if you come around, don't forget the award-winning 'Cinabro' wine!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MG_013

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stopped at this farmhouse on our way to Rome and we had lunch and wine tasting for at least 4 hours...One of the best experience we've had in Italy and this is our 3rd time in this beautiful country! Every single wine we tasted was world class and the food: "Oh my God". The chef (by hobby) made this rabbit dish that was "To Die For". It was like we were experiencing the scene from "The Big Night" movie...Excellent... We ended up buying also a 6 bottles of wine that lucky for us we were able to bring through US customs...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My Mum and I have been coming back here for about 12 years now. We absolutely love this place. It is relaxed, tranquil, peaceful, great comfy accommodation and incredibly friendly family who we have had the pleasure of getting to know over the years. The apartments are immaculate and the pool is beautiful and refreshing.
Casa Alle Vacche is in the heart of Tuscany between Florence and Siena and a stones throw from San Gimignano - perfect for touring so many of the beautiful towns and villages or just chilling out by the pool and reading a good book.
The wine is also exceptionally good. Many many happy memories of holidays here - and many more to come I am sure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Clare M
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The farm house is on a small hill in the middle of a big valley ,the scenery is
Beautiful and I guess very Tuscan.
Francesco the owner is very nice and gives good travelling advice .
We stayed at one of the two big apartments that have very big (6*8 m^2) porch .with the best view.
The farm house has a warm microclimate for the winter ,so it’s warmer then everywhere else we have been in Tuscany in March.

Room Tip: the big apartments have the porch.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2010

This was the Tuscan hillside retreat I had dreamed of. The road up is a little narrow and daunting, but the location is stunning - on a hillside amongst vines and olive trees. Casa Alle Vacche is a working vineyard and produces olive oil - we were offered wine on arrival, but sadly were so hot we opted for water! We were met by Francesco (? the owner's son) who spoke excellent English, which was a huge relief as my Italian is very rusty. We were too early in the season to use the pool, which was a shame, as it was very hot on our first few days there.

Practicalities - I would recommend getting hold of a street map of Certaldo. There wasn't one in our guide book and we never did find the local supermarket! Our sat nav found us the railway station to get the train into Florence. Certaldo is much easier to reach than San Gimignano - the road is better, although neither is far.

My sleep quality was only poor because I'm a light sleeper and I was always woken up by the dawn chorus! I'm sure anyone else would sleep like a log.

All the family were incredibly helpful - Signor helped us with blown lightbulbs and Francesco with a socket problem (sockets here are NOT the same as French ones, so our adaptor didn't work, but he had one we could use). One day, my partner went off to Florence while I opted to stay behind and relax - as I was sitting out in the sun, Signora approached me and handed me a plate of her chocolate and pear cake! It was absolutely delicious. Our stay was truly memorable and I was sorry to leave (even though by then it was chucking it down with rain).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Casa alle vacche is set in an area of rural beauty. The accommadation is simple, but splendid, the warmth if the welcome is genuine and unparalleled. Senora Nella speaks no English, but finds ways of communicating everything by gestures. The vineyard produces lovely wine and the most excellent olive oil, and eating al freco in the moonlight was delightful. Only ten minutes drive away is a sizeable town, with a beautiful and historic old section, perched atop a hill. Down below, busy Italian lives are lived.. The Co-op sells everything you could need for gourmet cuisine at home... but there also are local markets and a range of other shopping options.

There is a wealth of possibilities for days out. Florence is less than an hour's comfortable train jouney, and Siena is less - but watch out for the train times coming home - the last train from Siena is early evening and coming from Florence, a bus might be used for the last leg of the journey. Taxis are always available if you should find yourself stranded. Learning a little Italian beforehand is useful, although many Italians speak some English.

Driving is a bit stressful because of the Italian drivers' readiness with the horn at junctions, where there might be more than a dozen places listed on the signs. The place is laced with a spider's web network of roads, but once off the beaten track, you can meander along unspoiled lanes fringed generously with poppies... The scenery is glorious, and there are lots of similar vineyards to visit, some of which provide meals, although prior booking may be necessary, There are cafes and restaurants to choose from, but once we discovered the ice cream parlour in the town, we bade farewell to proper evening meals and feasted on frozen yoghurt instread...

Some of the hilltowns are difficult for parking - I use a wheelchair, so it was mandatory to be abe to drive right to a central spot. Parking permits are available by prior request, so if you have some walking dififculties and would like to visit hilltowns like San Gimignano, then try to organise the permit beforehand, or as soon as you arrive.

If anyone would like further information about wheelchair accessibility issues, then you can contact me through my website : www.helpforme.co.uk

• Liked — Clean, simple, good taste, very quiet, beautiful
  • Disliked — I use a wheelchair and there was a little gravel in the courtyard... but I was able to take the car right to the door, so it was not important.
  • Stayed May 2005