“Dreamwalking in a Tuscany”
Review of Walk About Italy

Walk About Italy
Ranked #3 of 27 Food & Drink in Siena
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: My name is Gianni. I am a PhD geologist, certified nature guide and tour operator. Let me show you around the undiscovered Tuscany and set up your trip. I organize active tours. You will be able to enjoy beautiful walks in the countryside and through small villages, interact with the locals and sample great food and wines in Tuscany and Italy. I am a 46 year old resident, so passionate about my country. Only private tours or small group joinable tours. No bus crazy crowds! Let me put together a great active and cultural vacation for you and your friends. Please read my reviews.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We just spent seven wonderful days in late July with Gianni, an amazing guide and an even more amazing person. He customized a walking tour in the Sienna area and in and around Montacino and Pienza, the heart of Tuscany. We walked through Chianti vineyards, down rolling country roads, in a forest to find a 500 year-old grain mill, and through postcard hilltop Medieval fortress towns. Gianni organized a cooking lesson at Ri.Me Restorante, a wonderful new Mediterranean restaurant in Sienna and a private vineyard tour at a micro-producer of incredible Brunellos where we bonded with the owner, sampled several prized wines and left on a cloud with no worries in the world. Gianni walked us through rolling wheat fields and vineyards to the Abbey of Sanit'Animo where we heard Gregorian Chants by the resident monks. He left nothing to chance, making sure that each hotel room had a good view and each restaurant offered something special.

Gianni and his colleagues are consummate professionals and caring human beings. We discussed Tuscan and Italian history, family, politics, philosophy, religion and Woody Allen, all threaded with great humor.

He steered us away from sites highlighted by guide books but busy with tourists. Instead, he took us to hidden gems off the beaten path. This was a full-immersion experience, guided by a very nice Renaissance man who has the expression "A good tour guide needs to know his/her chickens". We were honored to be his chickens.

All reviews
"wine tasting"
in 12 reviews
"own pace"

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Four of us spent a wonderful day with Gianni in June trip to Italy. He met us at a bus stop in Sienna, drove us out into the countryside, and led us on a walk down winding roads to the Romanesque abbey at Sant’ Antimo in time to hear the Gregorian chants within. The hills were beautiful, the air fragrant with Scotch broom and wildflowers along the way. We passed by vineyards, olive groves, and a few stone houses tucked away behind cedars and herb gardens. The abbey itself is a rare treasure, founded—so legend goes—in Charlemagne’s time, though the current church was built in 1118.

Afterward, Gianni arranged an incredible lunch in Montalcino (our favorite meal of our stay in Italy), and led us around that lovely hilltop town, famous for its local wine.

Gianni is a remarkable guide—a remarkable person, with a wide breath of knowledge and a keen sense of humor. He earned his doctorate in geology; he’s studied history, knows the landscape, and when he’s not leading walking tours, he’s a jazz musician. He can talk about the plants along the path, the history and culture of Tuscany, the highlights of Siena, Italian poetry—and, in fact, we did. In addition, he was courteous, thoughtful and flexible in all of our communications and planning.

I hope you’ll be lucky enough to schedule a trek with Gianni. I surely look forward to my next one

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My friends and I enjoyed 6 beautiful days in Siena and the surrounding countryside. This was in large part due to Gianni.The highlights of our stay were the day tours designed by Giana. He and his colleague, Sara, arranged for tours that captured the historical essence of each area that we visited. However, they provided much more than information.. Being from the area, they were passionate about Siena and the surrounding towns and countryside. Gianni and Sara taught us much about the culture and people of the area. This provided an added dimension to our tours that we considered priceless. They took the time to connect with us as people which made our time together so much fun in addition to interesting!

Gianni custom made each day tour for us insuring that we experienced exactly what we had wanted. This was my second visit to Italy and Gianni's tours were the best that I have experienced. I will only use Gianni's tour and travel services in the future when I visit Europe!!

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife, son, and I all enjoyed the personal walking tour around the Castle Brolio and vinyards in the beautiful Chianti wine country. Gianni was pleasant, patient, informative, accommodating to our needs, and good company. In all a great guide. The extra help and orinetation before the unexpected Polio warm-ups was a lucky bonus. For our next trip to Italy, we will certainly be tapping Gianni again.
(Salve, Gianni.)

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We spent two fantastic days walking with Gianni on 6th and 7th July. With a three week holiday in Italy and a range of activities, this was a highlight. On Day 1, Gianni organised a walk through farmland south of Castellini in Chianti, including a restaurant stop for lunch, and ending with a good look around Castellina. On Day 2 Gianni picked us up from a per-arranged location and drove us to Pienza. From Pienza we walked to San Quirico umd'Orcia. We had intended to walk back, but Gianni wisely organised a taxi. On returning to Pienza, he guided us around the town, before concluding the day with another short walk.
Gianni is remarkably personable, flexible and professional in every aspect of the service that he offers. We would certainly seek an opportunity to walk with him again in the future. His passion for Tuscany and his work is most evident. We greatly enjoyed his great sense of humour and his company!

1  Thank Rob and Anne W