“A wonderful Tuscan experience”

Walk About Tuscany Tours
Ranked #6 of 26 Food & Drink in Siena
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: My name is Gianni. I am a PhD geologist, certified nature guide and tour operator. Let me show you around the undiscovered Tuscany and set up your trip. I organize active tours. You will be able to enjoy beautiful walks in the countryside and through small villages, interact with the locals and sample great food and wines in Tuscany and Italy. I am a 46 year old resident, so passionate about my country. Only private tours or small group joinable tours. No bus crazy crowds! Let me put together a great active and cultural vacation for you and your friends. Please read my reviews.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Dayton, Ohio
“A wonderful Tuscan experience”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thanks to Gianni our family enjoyed 2 wonderful tours in Tuscany last week. Our walk in the vineyards was a great alternative to the bustling of Venice and Milan. Gianni's extensive knowledge of both land and culture really enhanced this hike. This was followed by a delightful lunch at water's edge. He also arranged a half-day Siena tour with Elena who taught us so much more about Siena than we would ever have learned from a guidebook. How lucky we were to have her with us! And then to add to all of this was a fun cooking class (even though my pici was not even close to our chef's perfect ones!). To top it all off Gianni treated us to his musical talents on the flute with "Ave Maria". I just couldn't have asked for more!!

Visited September 2013
WalkAboutTuscany, Owner at Walk About Tuscany Tours, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Ciao Peggie,
walking together, cooking together, playing music for you... it was not difficult at all. :-)
Hope to see you and your nice group again and again.

Wilmington, Delaware, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing Walks through Tuscan Landscapes”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I just spent a wonderful 7 days in the company of Gianni; walking wonderful paths, eating the most delicious local foods, drinking astounding Tuscan vintages, and most importanty, laughing. We travelled through the most amazing landscapes and village-scapes, learning the customs and heritage of Tuscany. Our trip started in Siena, passed through Montalcino, and finished in Pienza, but encompassed so many other sites along the way. Hidden gems that Gianni has discovered and shared with us.
All of the accomodations that Gianni booked for us were excellent (and with excellent views - actually, unparalleled views, in my experience). Food choices were local, seasonal, and uniformly delicious - from simple picnic food to restaurant sit-down meals that never failed to impress. Gianni works tirelessly "behind the scenes" to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. I would not hesitate to recommend his services to others wanting an authentic experience of down-to-earth Tuscany. Bring your hiking shoes and prepare for fun.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Paul C
Dear Paul,
I particularly loved your "behind the scenes" and "authentic experience of down-to-earth Tuscany".
This is exactly what I do and I am happy that you enjoyed your tour.
Please come back again and we will tour other areas.
Ciao!
toronto
“Walking, Laughing, Learning ... and then the Wine Tasting”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Dottore Gianni provided the most absorbing hike through the hills outside Radda-in-Chianti. He had all 20 members of our extended family/friends group so thoroughly enchanted with local stories, history, cultural hints, geological facts that we were sorry to see the hike end. But then...his friends at Casanuova di Ama provided the most wonderful wine tasting (their 2009 Chianti Riserva was so worth purchasing) and lunch. The bruschetta...we are still trying to replicate it back in Toronto. Buonissimo. Tutto. The entire day was one of the best we have had in our travels in the region...we would heartily recommend it to all - walk, laugh a little, then end it with the best Chianti has to offer - wine, bread, wine, cheese, the sopresatta, the wine!!! do your family and friends a favour and book Gianni now.

Visited June 2013
Dear Baffinisle,
your happy group of 20 people was very easy to please.
I enjoyed your company and I enjoyed that 2009 Chianti Riserva as well! :-)
I hope to walk and taste wine with you again!
Scarsdale, New York
“Dreamwalking in a Tuscany”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We just spent seven wonderful days in late July with Gianni, an amazing guide and an even more amazing person. He customized a walking tour in the Sienna area and in and around Montacino and Pienza, the heart of Tuscany. We walked through Chianti vineyards, down rolling country roads, in a forest to find a 500 year-old grain mill, and through postcard hilltop Medieval fortress towns. Gianni organized a cooking lesson at Ri.Me Restorante, a wonderful new Mediterranean restaurant in Sienna and a private vineyard tour at a micro-producer of incredible Brunellos where we bonded with the owner, sampled several prized wines and left on a cloud with no worries in the world. Gianni walked us through rolling wheat fields and vineyards to the Abbey of Sanit'Animo where we heard Gregorian Chants by the resident monks. He left nothing to chance, making sure that each hotel room had a good view and each restaurant offered something special.

Gianni and his colleagues are consummate professionals and caring human beings. We discussed Tuscan and Italian history, family, politics, philosophy, religion and Woody Allen, all threaded with great humor.

He steered us away from sites highlighted by guide books but busy with tourists. Instead, he took us to hidden gems off the beaten path. This was a full-immersion experience, guided by a very nice Renaissance man who has the expression "A good tour guide needs to know his/her chickens". We were honored to be his chickens.

Visited July 2013
Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Four of us spent a wonderful day with Gianni in June trip to Italy. He met us at a bus stop in Sienna, drove us out into the countryside, and led us on a walk down winding roads to the Romanesque abbey at Sant’ Antimo in time to hear the Gregorian chants within. The hills were beautiful, the air fragrant with Scotch broom and wildflowers along the way. We passed by vineyards, olive groves, and a few stone houses tucked away behind cedars and herb gardens. The abbey itself is a rare treasure, founded—so legend goes—in Charlemagne’s time, though the current church was built in 1118.

Afterward, Gianni arranged an incredible lunch in Montalcino (our favorite meal of our stay in Italy), and led us around that lovely hilltop town, famous for its local wine.

Gianni is a remarkable guide—a remarkable person, with a wide breath of knowledge and a keen sense of humor. He earned his doctorate in geology; he’s studied history, knows the landscape, and when he’s not leading walking tours, he’s a jazz musician. He can talk about the plants along the path, the history and culture of Tuscany, the highlights of Siena, Italian poetry—and, in fact, we did. In addition, he was courteous, thoughtful and flexible in all of our communications and planning.

I hope you’ll be lucky enough to schedule a trek with Gianni. I surely look forward to my next one

Visited June 2013