“Clean bathrooms”

Camping Siena Colleverde
Ranked #6 of 93 Speciality Lodging in Siena
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a shared permanent tent for 2 nights. The tent had no lock and there are no lockers around so make sure you have locks for your bags to keep your gear safe. The bed I was in had not been changed from the previous guest which was a bit annoying and the tents are on a slope so you need to hold yourself up in bed to avoid sliding out.
The bathrooms are very very clean and well maintained and the supermarket on site is reasonably priced.
The campground is about a 20 minute bus ride out of sienna itself.
There's a pool and bar but be aware that you must wear a swimming cap in the pool.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We found it when we could not find anything else available and we were lucky. The boy who helped us at the desk was veery friendly, we rented a bungalow for four when we were only two and it was still a good prize cpmparing with that of the hotels. The bungalow had its own parking place, a little garden table at front, two rooms, two bathrooms and all necesary things, it was very comfortable and clean. The bus stop to go downtown to the piazza and all the magic of Siena, was a few metres from the camping entrance so we didnt have to use the car. We liked our stay very much.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Being honest, camping in Italy is a rather different experience from camping in France, though I have no doubt there are good and bad in both. Before coming here I had associated Italian campsites with small pitches, rather worn-out and rather under-provided facilities, and overcrowding. Camping Colleverde put my prejudices asunder and delivered to us the closest I have found to the French camping experience in Italy. The site is not overcrowded, the pitches are adequate, the facilities plentiful and clean and the pool a delight. As previously reported, the bus to the centre of Siena leaves from just outside the site. The bar is fine and the restaurant OK. We travel with our own camping outfit so I am not able to report on the chalets or the pre-erected tents which have attracted adverse comment in the other reviews, but for our needs this was superb.

Room Tip: Judging by the other reviews, this works best if one takes one's own camping kit.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed at many campsites in Italy, Colleverde had the best and cleanest facilities, bathrooms were cleaned twice a day and, unlike mentioned before, hot water was available throughout the day. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. Location good, right next to bus stop. Maybe a bit on the expensive side but would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was very surprised by some of the previous reviews. I have camped widely in Italy (yes Camping Tigre in Rome is superb) and I have experienced some sites that are appalling but Camping Colleverde in Siena (part of the same group as the Rome campsite) is one of the best.

I stayed for 5 days in a cabin at the end of June during a two week tour.

The site is very clean. The toilet blocks are spacious, tiled throughout, with excellent facilities and good hot water showers. They are constantly attended too by staff and always clean. They have washing machines and dryers, even a dog shower to the rear?
The restaurant was popular and had very good food and pizzas. You can eat both inside and outside and the al fresco seats fill up quickly. Sienna, and much of Northern Italy, is not a cheap place to stay or eat out and the price of the cabins and meals reflects this.

The market was always perfectly clean with a good variety of produce. Fresh bread and goods were delivered daily.

The large cabin we had was nearly new, spacious and clean with gas hob, pots, pans plates cutlery etc, a standard sized fridge and good shower. It was a trick to get the hot and cold just right because it had a sensitive mixer tap, but this is something I come across regularly on my travels.
There was no air conditioning and this was a disappointment especially as it was 35 degrees when we were there. But you must remember that this is supposed to be camping or even glamping. It had a large covered porch ideal for sitting out and taking the view.

The site is large and on a hill side with terracing for tents and level areas for plenty of campervans.
For the Palio it is ideal if you haven't booked a hotel room 10 months in advance.

I never had any problem with internet access and 4 euros for 24 hours is cheap.

The large pool is superb. Very clean and well maintained. A member of staff is on hand all the time in the pool bar. Yes you have to have a bathing cap. This is quite standard in Italy and for hygiene reasons. It's not a money grabbing opportunity. It's part of what helps keep the water so clean and free of hair and hair gel.

The number 3 bus goes every 20 minutes and the number 8 bus goes every hour both to the Town Centre via the Train station with a 1.10 Euro ticket.

I have been here twice in 5 years and would thoroughly recommend both it and Sienna.

Unlike other reviewers I found the reception staff very helpful indeed and very chatty if you engaged with them. They kindly made phone calls in Italian for me for my next port of call and they couldn't have been more helpful. They all spoke various languages and coped very well at this busy site.

We had a very pleasant stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

As per previous reviews reception staff are just not interested (get another job), young woman about as interactive as a postage stamp! But the real killer the showers were cold both night and morning. Given we had paid 36 euro’s (low season so why no hot water!) for a motor home site this was a bit rich.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I have stayed at several other camping villages in Italy. So far, I've been impressed by most of them, particularly the one in Rome. This camping village however has almost put me off the whole idea. I stayed in a bungalow, which cost 50 euro a night, far more then any hostel or BnB. The water in the shower in this bungalow seemed to have a mind of its own, jumping from hot to cold randomly no matter where the knob was. I bought a wi-fi card for 4 euro (not a bad price) but after bringing it back to my bungalow, I noticed that there was no wi-fi inside. When I brought these concerns to the front desk, they said AND I QUOTE "Impossible, not true". At breakfast, I went to the market underneath the resturant to find that the bread was rock hard and covered in mould. To round off this terrible experience, at 11:00 the day I was checking out, a woman came to my bungalow, banged on the window and shouted "Out! You, out!" When I tried to explain that I still needed to pack my things, she said "Time up, you out!"

I would recommend anyone staying in Siena to avoid this camping village at all cost. Which shouldn't be too hard, as only one bus in the whole city runs anywhere near it and that bus only comes once every hour.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo