“Very central and not expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of I Terzi di Siena

I Terzi di Siena
Ranked #65 of 120 Siena B&B and Inns
Geneva, Switzerland
“Very central and not expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This B&B is not expensive and it is in the very center of Siena. What makes it cheap is also the fact that the bathroom is shared among three rooms. However, the owner of the place is very welcoming (he does not speak much English) and he explains everything. There is a kitchen and the view from the balcony is amazing. The only problem is a parking that is very expensive (23 euros/day).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adriana_trips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was a last minute booking and totally 'spoilt' the stay at Siena. Reception 'service' consists of collecting all payment including taxes within 2 minutes of arrival. When asked if there is any assistance with local tours or information, was given an incredulous look, told ''you expect us to book tours? We only give reception service'' which was what I described above! You cannot book in a minute earlier than 3:30pm. 3 rooms to a shared bath room, mould in shower area and taps. Another guest 'flooded' the bathroom at about 6:15pm. There was nothing to dry the floor with' slippery tiles and all. Went to 'reception' at 6:30pm, not manned, locked doors, wet slippery tiles for the night. The noise from street with loud singing, partying, raucous laughter, etc lasts until about 4am, you can hear even with closed windows. If you want a cuppa, you have to boil water with gas stove, no electric kettle. Kitchen facilities designed to discourage usage. Breakfast meant some dry biscuits, we never touched it, again to discourage consumption. Lovely views but not worth the angst. I have stayed in better hostel or backpackers with better facilities, cheaper and better service. Do not stay in this place!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K W
elisabetta c, Proprietario at I Terzi di Siena, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m very very sorry about your experience!

Certainly you arrived in a very busy day, so at the front desk you haven’t had any help and I am liable as owner.
Certainly the fact that the guest of the other room did not leave the bathroom clean and dry is another negative aspect, but surely the noise of people on the street is a normal thing, in an apartment in the city center! If you looking for an accommodation in the center it must be clear that there are some festive evenings, if you need quiet, you have to book in the countryside!

However, I will consider every complaints and I assure the next time you visit us, you will have a better stay!

Thanks a lot,
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Liya's review (26 Sep 2013) pretty much captures it. I gave the hotel a slightly higher rating than she did, because it is good value for money given the location just up the hill from the Campo. But the absence of staff, and in particular the lack of responsiveness of staff to my text messages during my stay, was a real turn-off. Basically this is the kind of place where you get what you pay for and you don't pay very much. If you calibrate your expectations to that setting, I think you'll be happier than I was. Oh, and you'd better be a heavy sleeper.

BY THE WAY, although they have a self-catering kitchen, there are absolutely no utensils, plates, dishes, glasses, mugs ... what is the point?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

thank you for writing a review.
Each review make us grow, specially the constructive complaints.
Finally, I'm very sorry you couldn't find utensils, but they were in the kitchen counters!

We wait for you the next time, we'll try our best to improve us.

Sincerely yours,

Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

First, let me describe what this place is about. It is not a hotel and not a bed and breakfast (breakfast is NOT provided there), but a big mixed use building where Terzi di Siena occupies several rooms on the fifth floor and a one-bedroom apartment on the second floor. Contrary to hotels and most B&Bs, there is no staff on premises except for a few hours a day. This creates serious inconveniences: checking in outside of this few hours requires special arrangements, there is nobody to ask elementary questions like where the closest pharmacy is, how can you get from Siena to another town, any recommendations about restaurants and/or attractions, etc, etc. And if something does not work (fortunately, it did not happen during our stay), the only way is to call the owner's phone and hope that they come and fix the problem within a reasonable time. But what time is "reasonable" if you are in Siena for a couple of days only?

We stayed in the apartment on the second floor. The apartment itself is adequate, has everything necessary (although Wi-Fi was barely working and there was no view whatsoever) and the location is excellent: right in the heart of historic city. Unfortunately, here the good things end and the bad things start. First, the person who checked us in was extremely rude and arrogant. During this trip in Italy we stayed in 4 different places where all our hosts were either nice or extremely nice, and the contrast with this guy was simply shocking. In addition, he demanded us to pay for the whole stay in advance, which made it even worse (it reminded the cheapest motels where rooms are rented by hour).

But it was not the worst thing. There is a night club across the street, and inside of the tall narrow streets of the old city the sound resonates and rises up to an intolerable level. During our first night in Siena the party was going on till 4am and the noise was simply deafening. It does not happen every day, but when it happens, the apartment becomes TOTALLY UNINHABITABLE. My recommendation therefore is to avoid this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iiya
Dear guest,

we made our best to make your stay here the best we could!

I'm sorry for the front desk guy, but you were one of his first check-in, and also he cannot speak very good english, so it may seem a bit rude.
My daughter woke up early in the morning just to help you with the TV, because you couldn't understand how to make it work, and she even gave you useful information as you asked for, also when you called in the evening, at 10:30 pm!
Since from the first day you complained about the front desk guy, she made sure every day that you were ok, and that you had everything you needed.
The noises of people on the street is a normal thing, in an apartment in the city center! If you are looking for an accommodation in the center, it must be clear that there are some festive evenings, if you need quiet, you have to book in the countryside!
Furthermore, since we are not an hotel, and we haven't a 24 hours reception, one of our rules is to pay the total amount in advance. This does not mean that we are a cheap motel where you can rent a room by hour! This could be a very offensive insult!

Each review make us grow, specially the constructive complaints, but yours was not constructive at all, as noticed also by the guest who reviewed after you, the 9th of October.

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Fantastic location right smack in the center of the gorgeous city of Siena, amazingly right there where I wanted to be, only three concentric-circle-streets away from the Piazza del Campo. I found it amazing to be "inside" this city, which is like being deep in narrow canyons made of red stone. If I am correct in how my mind seemed to find summerized North American correlations for everything (I was there during the heatwave of July), wherein Venice is the Southern Low Country--Savannah and Charleston with a little New Orleans French Quarter thrown in (bayous, dripping in humidity, shrieking insects and beautiful hidden gardens), Florence is Tijuana (filthy, sooty, mean crowded streets), but with an amazing cathedral and museums, and the Amalfi Coast is Big Sur, but with cute Italian villages hanging from the cliffs, then Siena is Sedona, Arizona, with a red rock canyon urbanscape. The central area may be small, but you can get lost in there, so buy an accurate map from one of the coin-operated dispensing machines you can find on the street; then you will love it.

To be in Italy for two weeks, I had to be a budget-accomodation traveler, and that may mean compromises, but when I think of the I Terzi di Siena, I really don't think I had to compromise all that much, if at all. Of course, there was that location location location, absolutely no compromise there, but the B&B, or apartments, or whatever they are called, while being a rather different kind of set-up, had features that some may find to be detriments, while others may find them to be assets.

The place is actually within a larger building that also houses other types of things (I don't know, a law firm, an advertising agency, some apartments, maybe even another hotel?), accessed through a big old door at the street level. Number 13. Warning, you're going to climb some stairs (125 is what I counted from the street to the floor of my actual room--I did this, because I wanted to brag to friends back home), but don't blame them if Otis hadn't invented his elevator company back in the 1500s. You CAN do it, and you earned yourself another helping of delicious pasta, or maybe, if you prefer, three more scoops of gelato! Unless you brought along more than two pieces of luggage per able-bodied person, or have some difficulty in walking or climbing several flights of stairs; then you will need to consider another place to stay. But the view up there will take your breath away; you will absolutely be above the glorious rooftops of Siena and what could be a better or more romantic place to be?

The set-up there is after you reach the hotel's floor, you go through a door into a common room that is essentially a combination sitting area and kitchen and dining area. Especially if you are going to be in Siena more than just a few days, you might actually want to buy some food to put in the refrigerator that you could then cook for some meals. I at least put a huge bottle of water and some Coke Zeros in the refrigerator, and I was very glad to have them.

Also I noticed on the landing of my room's floor a washing machine, which I am sure you could also use, if you want (but clarify with the owner). One reason I was traveling so lightly, myself, is that long ago I developed the habit of nearly every night hand-washing in the sink at least the underwear, socks, and shirt I had been wearing that day. In the bathroom that I shared with a person I never met and hardly ever heard, was what I think is a towel warmer, but I used it as a clothes dryer by hanging my washed things against it for the night. (My bathrooms in Rome and Amalfi had those, too, and I put them to good use there, as well.)

I mentioned the shared bathroom, which was large, very nice, and had a powerful, warm shower (and a bidet). The fact that there was one other person who also used it was not of the least bit of inconvenience to me, and I hope I was of equal non-inconvenience to him or her. We did not ever run into each other. So, the "bathroom across the hall" basically felt like it was just mine.

My room, itself, I lovingly call "the garret", not meant to be an insult (maybe I should have composed some music or worked on a novel at the desk, there!). It was at the top of the house, I think. Yes, I suppose it was "small", but I didn't need it to be bigger (there are photographs here that show it exactly). It actually had two beds, but I only needed to pay as the single that I was. I took me a while to notice that it did not have a window, per se...well, the window it had was on the ceiling, and it was cleverly operated by a remote control that lifted it open or lowered it closed, and also adjusted a shade that could be completely light-blockingly closed for sleeping. What I DID notice, most thankfully, was the fan. My previous hotel had neither air conditioning nor a fan. But his one had a fan, and it kept me cool. I think the structure of the house, itself, was insulating (those clever 1500 house builders!), so I didn't really feel too much of the heat. (But yes, I did have the fan blowing....)

At bedtime, there was a concert going on outside nearby, not on the Piazza del Campo, but in the very close Piazza Independenza--I had seen it getting set up when I happened to walk by on my way to eat dinner. It wasn't the kind of music that I liked (sort of a heavy metal/hip hop sounding combination of rock instruments), but while I could HEAR it while in my room, I wouldn't say that it was bothering me. I got a good enough night's sleep in spite of it. I do know that the mystery person sharing the floor with me had been out there enjoying it, because I heard him or her unlock their room door about ten minutes after the concert ended. I use that as a recommendation, as that was an example of one guest who apparently was GLAD for there to be the nearby entertainment. I would have been, too, if it had been a different kind of music, which it very well could have been. So, positives or negatives, it's all in what you happen to like or not like or what happens at the time you are there. The Piazza del Campo, itself, is known for having large numbers of people enjoying that outdoor space in the evenings and to see and perhaps participate in that is one of the main reasons to be there in the first place.

The owner of the house will correspond with you and answer all sorts of questions, which is extremely helpful. She recommended to me that with the choice of taking the train in from Florence or taking the bus, I should take the bus, which drops you off at Piazza Gramsci, from which there is an easy ten-minute walk down hill on Via dei Termini to the hotel. So I took the bus. (By the way, Siena was the friendliest and most helpful city I was in on this trip to Italy, so you will find your way from the bus stop to Via dei Termini quite easily even if you have to ask someone to point out the way.)

However, I definitely wanted to take the train to my next destination, Rome, and learned that even though the train station is a good distance away from the city center, there are two or three city buses for only a Euro or two that will take you to the train station from the very same Piazza Gramsci (buy your ticket at a tobaccanist). So it really doesn't matter, travel by bus or travel by train, being close to Piazza Gramsci gets you either one with ease.

In summary, this hotel met my needs and exceeded my expectations, so I would be very happy to stay there again next time I came to Siena!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

first of all thank you very very much for your words and the time spent working on it!
It was really a pleasure reading your review. Thank to you our next guests can have an accured description of our place, this is really helpful also because it comes from a top contributor as you are!
We will wait for you next time and we hope to have improved where we are not yet at the top.

Sincerely yours,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

No aircon so must sleep with the window open as it gets very hot at night, but there's a bar directly down stairs so barely got sleep from the noise. Wifi never worked in our rooms. No elevator. Don't understand why this b&b has such good reviews, haven't had any problems with other accommodation in Italy

• Stayed July 2013
elisabetta c, Responsabile reception at I Terzi di Siena, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Hi, I'm sorry that you stayed so bad at our b&b, in these days no one complained about anything. Since we are in the city centre, it's impossible to be a silent place especially during the summer time. Next time, I suggest you to choose a b&b not in the city centre.
Toronto Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

The rooms at this place are clean and a small step above the pack. But you've got to walk up six floors to get to your room. The upside is your view from the terrace. A church on the left and a church on the right. Down the centre it's all red tiled rooftops. And if it's greenery you're after just look beyond the buildings.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple