“Absolutely the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Siena
England, United Kingdom
“Absolutely the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

Go here-it is wonderful. We had superb, personalised service, a comfortable room with everything we needed provided, good travel and tourist advice, complementary bubbly and cakes on my husband's birthday and above all a very warm welcome from Elisabetta and Mario. The whole place is equipped to a very high standard and the spa is spotless and luxurious. I stayed in a very expensive five star hotel in Madrid the following week and it came nowhere near Aia Mattonata in terms of room comfort or food - oh and the custard dougnuts served at breakfast (!!) are the best - leave your diet at home.

Room Tip: ground floor room might be noisier.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank horacesmum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at Aia Mattonata for three nights and were really sad to leave. Mario and Elisabetta are the perfect hosts. They make you feel like a house guest instead of a hotel guest.They are warm and friendly and happy to answer any questions that you may have. Mario helps you plan your itinerary and provides you with maps and suggests scenic driving routes. Elisabetta observes your food preferences at breakfast and tries adjust the menu accordingly. For example, she noticed that I like the apricot filled croissants so she made extra ones the next morning and also made an apricot tart for breakfast the last morning I was there.
Our room was so charming and bright and cheerful. We had a large bathroom with plenty of space to put our toiletries. A bottle of water is provided on the night table next to your bed and drinks and snacks are provided all day in the kitchen for guests. In nice weather, breakfast is served outside on the patio with a great view of Siena.
Of the five hotels that we stayed at during our 10 day vacation in Italy, this was our favorite. I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you Mario and Elisabetta for making our stay with you so memorable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lja30
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

If it were possible, we'd give Elisabetta and Mario 10 stars for their wonderful accommodations and service. It was as perfect a B&B/hotel as we've ever stayed in, with everything clearly thought out ahead of time for the guests' comfort--from the plush towels in the bathroom to the constant choice of snacks and beverages in the kitchen. Elisabetta and Mario really mean it when they say they want their guests to feel like home (although I doubt many of their guests make their breakfasts at home as sumptuous). The two go out of their way to make sure Tuscany tourists see what they want to see, whether it's sites and restaurants in Siena or day trips to photograph the countryside or sample the wine--or even cooking classes in Lucca. And Mario prepares detailed maps to guide the way and get you back which is definitely where you want to be at day's end. A true delight.

Room Tip: Avoid the first-floor room next to kitchen.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

We love Siena and the Tuscan country side. This place deserves all the raving reviews here.
Mario and Elisabetta are such great hosts, friendly, helpful, warm and welcoming to all guests. The breakfast was abundant & delicious. The kitchen is full is snacks & drinks for the afternoon. The room is spacious & so elegantly decorated. We apprecaite the free internet. It has amazing veiw of Siena (just 10 mintues drive to town). We had a great stay here, and visit to Siena.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at Mario and Elisabetta's farmhouse last week. Talk about a perfect experience! We were welcomed by Mario as we pulled into the driveway. He carried our bags in and then proceeded to pour 2 glasses of Prosecco for us. We were led to an upstairs room, decorated beautifully in Tuscan yellow. The view from the window was amazing!

After we settled in, Mario told us of a little deli nearby to get some food that we asked about. We brought salamis, cheese, and wine back to the house. The kitchen is available all day long for guests' use. We opened the wine, got some utensils and plates, and sat on the patio overlooking Siena. We could have stayed there forever.

Late we met guests returning from day trips. We all shared stories, wine, and food. What a fun afternoon!

The next day we expereinced our first breakfast. Wow! Imagaine a long wooden table filled with fruit tarts, brioche, salamis, cheese, olives, breads, pastries, etc. It was lovely! The cappuccinos were incredible! We ate on the patio once again at bistro tables set with linen. A wonderful way to start the day!

Mario then answered every question we had about about our sightseeing trip into Siena. He even gave us maps and advice for the rest of the week when we left Aia Mattonata. His maps were better than Google Maps on my iPad!

Mario and Elisbetta walked us to our car on the day we departed. It was like leaving family...they are truly wonderful hosts!

I can't wait to go back. We stayed in 4 hotels during our 10 day trip to Tuscany. This is the only one I whole-heartedly recommend!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetodance418
Rogers, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

These people have it all figured out! Brilliant.

I've dreamed of visiting Italy all my life and seeing the beautiful Tuscan hills just outside my window would have sufficed, but these people greatly exceeded my expectations. You will feel like family before you leave this place.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

I had a wonderful time at Aia Mattonata. Thanks to all Trip Advisor reviewers who recommended this lovely hotel. I was impressed by both Elisabetta and Mario, the owners, months before I arrived at the hotel. They were very helpful and always responsive to my inquiries about the room and activities in Siena while I was planning the trip. Mario helped us book all wine tasting tours, recommended good restaurants and even made a reservation for us if they were the very busy ones. Though all my friends including Italians told me that I would need to rent a car to fully enjoy Tuscany and be able to stay at hotels outside Siena, Aia Mattonata is just 15 minutes away from the centre of Siena City by taxi and it costed only Euro12-15, depending on where in the city you get a taxi. I and my cousin could also go to the city with a public bus that stopped right opposite the hotel. Mario helped check the bus schedule for us to make sure that we didn't miss it. He even gave me a ride to the regional bus terminal when I left for Rome.

The hotel is a lovely farmhouse that was fully renovated and lovely inside. It has a wide backyard with swimming pool and a swing where I loved to hang out and enjoyed the stunning panoramic view of Siena. Breakfast is delicious and generous. We woke up every morning smelling the fresh baked croissants from the kitchen downstairs. There are complimentary wine, water, juice and fruit provided in the kitchen all day and evening for guests. There is food delivery service to the hotel for guests who don't want to go eat out in the city. Complimentary Internet service is available in the sitting room. I felt like staying at a friend's house rather than a hotel. The day we left, we wish we spared one day just to hang out and enjoy the hotel, the view and its relaxing atmosphere which was quite a treat. I want to tell everybody who is considering staying at Aia Mattonata to go ahead and book a room. You'll surely have a memorable stay there.

Mario and Elisabetta, sorry that it took me so long to write this review. I have been telling everyone I know about your hotel. The wonderful stay at Aia Mattonata enjoying your great hospitality and your lovely dog Runa is always a fond memory of my visit to Siena and Tuscany. I'll definitely go back to see all of you again. Tanti baci.

• Stayed August 2010