Aia Mattonata Relais
  • Restaurant
Hotel Arcobaleno(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$104
Palazzo di Valli(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$173
Hotel Garden(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$99
Agoda.com
Hotel Santa Caterina(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$188
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Alma Domus(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$105
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgerman shepherddog runawonderful hostsowners mariob bour honeymoonevery morningbeautiful propertytuscan countrysideinfinity poolminute driverestaurant reservationsexplore tuscanyoverlooking sienahighlight of our trippleasure of stayinggrazie mille
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a perfect base from which to explore the stunning environs of Central Tuscany! Mario & Elisabeth are born to be innkeepers...warm, inviting, professional, and helpful...they create the perfect and sparkling clean atmosphere to rest and recharge. The staff is equally as lovely. Stephano greets you with a warm and genuine smile and Roberta prepares a delicious breakfast daily! We could not have been more pleased and will look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mario_Olivo, Proprietario at Aia Mattonata Relais, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Amigamadre,
thank you so much for your wonderful comment about your stay with us and about all the team. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Aia Mattonata and we do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit in Siena.
Thanks again!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this place based on the outstanding reviews on this site. We chose between this place and one inside the city walls. In hindsight, we wished that we had chosen the one inside the city walls. Don't get me wrong; this is a lovely place to stay and would serve as a great base camp to explore the many hill towns nearby. But we were mainly interested in seeing Siena, and for that a place inside the city walls would have been a better choice. As for the room itself, it was lovely, and Mario and Elissabetta could not have been more gracious hosts. The breakfasts were wonderful and included eggs cooked to order. The only knock is that it is very noisy. Because the rooms are so close together (like being in the room next to your brother growing up), you can hear everything that goes on in the rooms next to yours. So if someone is an early riser, you will be too. Still, I would gladly recommend this place to anyone that is looking for a place outside the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mario_Olivo, Proprietario at Aia Mattonata Relais, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Rich G,
thank you for posting your positive feedback on the site and for recommending Aia Mattonata. It’s very important for us. We are delighted to hear your kind words about us and that you enjoyed the room, the view and our breakfast.
Reading with attention your feedback we imagine that something disturbed you early in the morning and for this reason you found the room noisy. We want to make sure that our guests are comfortable during their stay and we are so sorry if somebody disturbed you.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I just vacationed in Italy for nearly 3 weeks. We stayed at 6 different hotels. This was the one that felt the most relaxing and most like home. This is because the hosts - Mario and Elissabetta - do an excellent job taking an interest in there guests to make sure their stay is just perfect. I knew as soon as I first started emailing Mario in Fall 2013 that I wanted to stay here. He provided such good information and had excellent customer service skills. I was so impressed that Mario and Elissabetta would remember what we did the night before and ask about it or remember what city we were coming from and ask about our travels. They truely care about their guests and it shows. We loved the location. It is just 5 - 8 min from parking lot in Siena. It is close enough but also very nice to be in the quiet country. I loved the view of Siena from the garden. I also loved the garden. Beautiful roses. I am sure the pool would be amazing in the summer but it was bit cold when we were there. Mario offered superb restaurant recomendations for us. He also helped us with our route planning, day planning and helped make reservations for us. One of my favorites activities was a cooking class with Massimo that Mario set up. Loved it. So much fun and such good food. I can't wait to try and replicate the recipes. Mario even drove us to and from the cooking class. We had great conversations with Mario and Massimo over Limoncello and Dolce. Our stay in Siena was amazing. Everything about it was perfect. We loved the free beverages and snacks. This was nice because we didn't have to go shopping for these items so it saved us time. We also really loved the breakfast. They will make eggs for you upon request. But really..... there were so many other good things that we only got eggs one day. Good breads, pastries, croissants, cheeses, meats, usually a cold egg dish, olives, hard boiled eggs, and more. One part of breakfast really stood out.... the amazing freshness of the fruit. I love fruit. I was amazed at how well the fruit was with regards to freshness. It was def. all in season and fresh. Pineapple, watermelon, melon, strawberries and kiwi were all amazing. I spoke to Mario about this and he mentioned he strives for freshness and local. He tries to get fruits that area in season and local from Italy. It is clear the hosts case so much about their business. I was so impressed. I cannot say enough. I will most certainly return to this location. I can't wait to return. It is the one location of my vacation that I am certain that I will return. One last note.... is that we loved being able to interact with their dog Runa. We missed our own dogs so it was so nice to come across Runa. She is so nice, playful and very well mannered. Loved her!

Room Tip: There are 5 rooms in total. I believe all of the rooms would be good. We had upstairs room. We did not have view of Siena but the view was still good. If you cannot do stairs then request the 1 downstairs room. All rooms will be quiet.

Dear Kariensea,
It’s hard to find words to thank you enough for your outstanding review! A million thanks for your kind words, for the detailed description of Aia Mattonata and our services, including our breakfast and the company of our sweet Runa!
How delightful to read that you liked every aspect of your stay with us and that you felt like at home, this is our goal: to let our guests feel welcome in every moment of their stay and “at home far from home”.
It was a great pleasure to take care of you and we do hope to welcoming you again in Siena in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

What can I say that has not already been said about this wonderful hotel right outside of Siena? Staying at Aia Mattonata was hands down the highlight of my wife and I's ten plus day trip to Italy. The room was warm, inviting, comfortable and so authentically furnished and breakfast was always delicious and so well prepared. Each day we took time to admire the beautiful grounds of the hotel as well as the expansive and crystal-clear view of Siena and Tuscany. Truly, truly, truly a dream come true. In addition, as countless other reviewers have mentioned before, the wonderful experience of staying at Aia Mattonata is only amplified by the thoughtful attention to detail of its gracious owners Mario and Elisabetta. From the moment we arrived, my wife and I absolutely felt as if we were staying in the guest house of family. There wasn't a moment that went by that we didn't feel right at home thanks to these two superb hosts. We can only hope to have the chance to stay again in the future. There should be no debate when deciding whether or not to stay at Aia Mattonata. If it's available, book it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mario_Olivo, Proprietario at Aia Mattonata Relais, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Cory W,
thank you so much for your positive review and for your kind words about Elisabetta and me.
We are pleased that you had a memorable visit with us and that you enjoyed the room, our breakfast and the view!
So nice to read that you felt at home and that you would like to return, thank you again.
And so we will be very glad to welcome you again in Siena.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Highly recommend this picturesque setting with excellent accommodations and outstanding hosts for your visit to Tuscany. Aia Mattonata was recommended to us by friends who had stayed there, and we were not disappointed. Stayed six nights. The accommodations were very comfortable, and the breakfast, prepared by Rosa and Stefano, was varied, delicious, and accommodating. The relais is a short, scenic 10 minute drive to the city of Siena. We found Aia Mattonata to be centrally located in Tuscany. It is of beautiful architecture and beautifully tended landscape. All of these wonderful features paled, though, in comparison to the care and attention of Mario and Elisabetta. They truly care about their guests! We valued the expert travel advice Mario provided for our daily travels - maps, town names for the GPS, and scenic routes, not to mention parking advice for the cities. Both Mario and Elisabetta were delightful and truly committed to the satisfaction of their guests!
We highly recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed in an upstairs king room with adjoining living room. It made for a large dressing room which was nice for a long stay. By the way, spa services were available, but we did not use.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mario_Olivo, Proprietario at Aia Mattonata Relais, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Janice S,
thank you so much for your beautiful review on the site.
We are so glad to read your wonderful words about Aia Mattonata and that you highly recommend our little gem, thank you so much.
It was our great pleasure to meet you and to look after you with some advices.
We do hope to welcoming you once more in Siena in the future.
Warm regards.