“Great restaurant, great atmosphere, great staff”

Ristorante Mugolone
Ranked #174 of 541 Restaurants in Siena
Price range: US$35 - US$59
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant hidden on Via Pellegrini one afternoon after some heavy duty sightseeing and shopping. We were welcomed by the hostess as though we were family. The meal that she recommended and the samples that she presented us with were beyond words. This is Tuscan food with a flair. Chef/owner Federico and his mom are the culinary artists. Needless to say, we returned the following night for a late supper. This is a must if you visit Siena.

1  Thank MMAnderson2014

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We recently had lunch here after a long morning of sightseeing in Sienna. This was one of the best meals we had while visiting Italy. The service was outstanding. The young woman who waited on us was very friendly and was very helpful with the wide range of questions we asked her. At first glance, the menu was a traditional Italian menu, however the food was much more unique than any we tried during our two week visit to Rome and Tuscany.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My Sister, two of her colleagues and I stumbled on this little restaurant last week when we were shopping in Siena. This is a truly a lovely restaurant which should be a lot busier than it was when we were there for lunch. The wait staff and the chef obviously care a great deal about their food - and more importantly, about how clients interact with their food! The Maitre d'hôtel gave us a complete interpretation of everything we ordered from the "amuse bouche" through dessert. Her attentiveness made four very tired, jaded and well-travelled ladies feel as if were guests at her home while maintaining an eye on the kitchen and her young waiters. The highlight of the afternoon (besides the delicious food) for me (and I should note that I am a vegetarian of 20+ years) was when a waiter (formally dressed even though were dining in the afternoon) came and set up a prosciutto carving station near our table. I have never seen anything like it in my life as he expertly carved thin, delicate slices off the hoof. Even though I could not partake of the feast that soon erupted at our table as my travelling companions gobbled up their prosciutto, I could appreciate the entire pageantry.

I highly recommend this restaurant and encourage my fellow tourist to support the fine work that is being done here. I would love to see this place succeed and reach the level of recognition it so well deserve! The service is impeccable, the food - delicious, and plenty of atmosphere galore.

.... Did I my Sister, friends and went back to Ristorante Mugolone for dinner!! :)

1  Thank Jasmine B
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We were recommended this restaurant by the hotel. The wait staff was attentive. The more senior waiter was stiff but the younger wait staff had great recommendations. We had the chicken with grapes and grilled vegetables. It was simple with a complex flavor. The sample platter of the area was a great end to our meal. I recommend this place.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Strangely lacking in atmosphere, with 80s American music playing and service that seemed somewhat non-plussed. Complimentary prosecco and appetizer was a nice touch - and all the food we had was without fault - but we had to ask fo the bill 3 times and no-one bade us grazie or buona notte! So a bit of a mixed bag and room for improvement