“The visit lifted my spirit”

Complesso Museale Santa Maria della Scala
Killing Cangrande Mystery Tour in Verona
Ranked #8 of 153 things to do in Siena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum complex, which houses the National Archaeological Museum of Siena, began as a pilgrims' hostel and orphanage, then served as a hospital from the 10th century to modern day.
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Museale Santa Maria della Scala's summary in a guide book caught my eye. Seeing that my husband and I are in the medical profession, we visited.
It is a beautiful museum, the painting are amazing.
And it humbled me to realise the dedication that existed to care for people in need.
It lifted my spirit and gave me hope.

1  Thank Sophia V

Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Steve McCurry exhibit is a must - remember that unfogettable face (eyes) on the cover of National Geographic of the girl from Afghanistan (finishes November 3rd).

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Wonderful exhibit but most of it was not translated into English. Very frustrating to have such rich history in front of you and not understand what you are looking at. Many of the museums we saw only had French or German translations.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I love this museo. The ancient ruins. The neo classical paintings. The layout....and best of all was the brilliant curation of the steve mccurry show. It ranks as one of the best curated photographic shows i've ever seen, anywhere in the world..

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I'm sure the rest of the museum is lovely but sadly I was a bit short on time and only saw the McCurry exhibition - which is stunning. Even if you haven't heard of him you've probably seen his photos in National Geographic or similar magazines. Well worth the entry fee and the definitely worth making the effort to see it before it moves on. The photos, particularly the portraits are simply stunning with such vivid colours the originals are so much more impressive than even the best reproductions.