“The Emperors New Clothes” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Certosa di Maggiano
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Brooklyn, New York
“The Emperors New Clothes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Hotel is secluded, stodgy, unwelcoming and rigid. A big disappointment. While the grounds and rooms were very nice, there was something not welcoming about the place. We felt like we were in "10 Little Indians Murder Mystery" Il Canto was supposed to be a "gastronomical event" The dinner was filled with unedible "Chef Suprises". First was breadsticks and they wouldn't put butter on the table until the third course. Finally got pasta and fish, by that time we were all disgusted. And throughout the dinner, the "reknown" Chef was pacing back and forth to see our reactions to his food. Not good.
By the end of the 4 days, we were calling this hotel" Il Prigione" (The Prison)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Maria M
CertosadiMaggiano, Proprietario at Hotel Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear Madam,
it is clear that your comment has left us all really astonished and without words.
We have done our best to make your stay unforgettable, to make of your friend’s birthday dinner an unique moment and in several occasions you expressed your gratitude to me, to Irene and to the rest of the Staff.
You say that the hotel is secluded, stodgy, unwelcoming and rigid. What do you mean? You arrived at 7:00 p.m., you stayed four nights and for these four days you went out in the morning and came back in the evening. I do not know what you could have enjoyed of the hotel.
I am sorry also that you consider so bad your experience at Il Canto, after that we have prepared a birthday cake which we have offered you and the wine offered by your Travel Agent.
You all chose two courses and to make your dinner more pleasant we have offered you the hors d’oevre.
I would like to clarify that we do serve butter, but butter (however, unusual in Italy) is served with bred and bred usually comes after the pasta.
You expressed your satisfaction for your mafaldine directly to me as you all showed several times to the Chef and to me your happiness and now you say that “by that time we were all digusted”.
Moreover, the Chef is used to enter the dinner room, as you also stress, not to check the reaction towards his cuisine, but to verify that the service is working well.
Why did not you show your disgust instead of congratulate?

With my best regards,
Anna Claudia Grossi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

Let me start by indicating that I reserved a 1200 Euro executive suite somewhat spontaneously because i wanted to show my wife the town of Sienna in the most authentic Florentine manner possible. The actual hotel did not disappoint; the grounds are spectacular and the employees are in themselves good people, no malicious behavior or laziness. The problem is simply that as far as client appreciation goes they are clueless at the Certosa Maggiano.
When we arrived we were pleasantly greeted. We were brought to the suite but it(window and shudders closed) looked like we had been the first guests since the 1960's. Some of the rooms (i.e bathroom) did not have working lights and no effort was made to create a welcoming vibe. We overlooked the matter and spent a pleasant moment in the garden. We were informed well in advance that the hotel is a Michelin starred restaurant and that if we wanted a table for dinner we had to book in advance and so we did. Sadly the dining experience was a complete disappointment, worst still I got food poisoning. Accepting that the bigger problem was the limited menu I found it shockingly disappointing that only one type of food service is provided for guests. In other words if you are not a fan of their "Guide Michelin" cuisine" you will not eat in this hotel period. Not even a dish of pasta. Next day breakfast was supposed to be an exoneration but instead it too was a disappointment. They had no Earl Grey tea or soya milk. Remember this is a Relais Chateaux franchise. To put it into perspective the same thing happen in Capri at the Relais Chateaux and the next day the concierge informed us that the hotel went out and purchased the 5 dollar tea we sought as well as soya milk. This essentially was my biggest frustration. If the TV did not work we were told too bad, If we asked for a later check out time we were told impossible! At no point did we feel as if we were welcomed guests. This is probably the worst mind set a hotel can adapt and suicide for any establishment looking to create a international following. The hotel is a at best a shell of what it used to be and unless you are reserving at an extremely discounted rate easily surpassed by many other hotel establishments in Siena.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michael M
Dear Sir,
as first time let me thank you to have spent some of your time to write us about your dissatisfaction, although I would have preferred you to show it during your stay.
By this time I would like to reassure you that the Executive Suite that you booked was occupied the last time two days before your arrival and it was occupied again the day of your departure. This is the reason why we could not allow you a late check-out, considering also that the room is 120mq wide and should be cleaned for the new arrival.
The windows and the shutters are always closed upon arrival as in each hotel equipped with windows with shutters and this is the reason why we are pleased to accompany our kind Guests to their room: to open the windows, turn on the lights and show the room itself.
I really exclude the possibility that someone said we have a Michelin star restaurant, since our restaurant does not have any Michelin star!
Anyway, when you got up after the dinner expressing your appreciation directly to me, I did not have the impression you were disappointed at all!
Moreover, your wife ate a dish of ravioli and the pasta proposal in the menu were exactly three.
Unfortunately, only the following day you asked us not soya milk, which is always on the breakfast buffet, but semi-skimmed milk and we were not able to satisfy your last minute request. Maybe it is better to inform the staff upon arrival about allergies or particular alimentary requests, so that we have the necessary time to arrange the service.
When you called complaining about the not-working television, the receptionist has immediately come to your room and showed you how to use it and everything was working regularly.
That said, we take note of your disappointment and we will make good use of it to improve our service.

Kindest regards
Anna Claudia Grossi
Plaistow, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Let me start off by saying, this was one of the most amazing places to stay, in terms of the hotel itself (exquisite), the staff (beyond helpful) and the owner/manager Anna.

We drove up from Naples with a GPS that died 20 minutes outside of Siena. My husband and I have the worst sense of direction and we got lost. I called the hotel and Vivienne and Anna did everything they could to help us, including Anna getting on the phone with a local shop owner to understand where we were so she could provide us with EXACT directions. They were so kind and helpful to two wayward travellers and Anna's directions were perfect and we arrived in no time. We were greeted with smiles and warmth and the stress of it all melted away.

Then we saw our beautiful room and meandered the Certosa and the grounds. Absolutely stunningly beautiful. No detail has been left out and the history and beauty surrounding us was inspiring.

We had dinner at Il Canto and the staff was top-notch, attentive and friendly and the food was remarkable. It is not typical Tuscan food, but a delicious and unique experience using the freshest of ingredients and creativity. It was a gourmet experience that may not suit all people, but it was great for us (the ravioli melted in my mouth and I still dream about the dessert).

Watching Anna manage the evening's food service for all of the tables was like watching a fine ballet. And she was so compassionate when asking a patron who wanted to light up a cigarette next to a table with a pregnant young girl. The patron was a jerk and got angry, but it was the right thing to do and Anna handled it with such grace.

The next 3 days were more of this hospitality from ALL members of the staff... they simply could not do enough for us and provided information, insight, and recommendations that were spot on. Thanks to a Siena dinner recommendation by Anna, we were able to witness an Il Palio Contrada showing their colors—brilliant and fascinating, not to mention one of the best meals we had in Italy. And breakfast of cappuccino, breads, fruits, jams, cheese, and croissants made by the chef under a wisteria canopy was a delightful way to start each day.

Knowing how geographically challenged we are, Anna and the staff contacted our next hotel in Lake Como to get detailed driving directions and got us a map and went through the directions with us. Their concern for us was genuine and I am happy to report that we didn't get lost.

We were thoroughly enchanted and impressed with Certosa di Maggiano. A gorgeous hotel without a doubt. But it was the Certosa's people that made this a memorable and magical stay. For us, Anna and her staff rate a 10 out of 10 and are among the best we've ever experienced.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Rudgwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

This hotel exceeded all my (very high) expectations. The architecture is fabulous, the grounds well tended, the staff attentive - but it is the serene atmosphere of this wonderful, wonderful hotel that made it so perfect for our weekend away. Il Canto, the restaurant, served the four of us a dinner that was stunning in its originality - we all agreed it was an unforgettable experience (and we are no strangers to good restaurants, so that will hopefully put my comments into perspective). Another distinct plus about this excellent hotel is that they give you more than you expect - little treats keep appearing - I won't say what so as not to spoil it for you if you are savvy enough to book a comfortable room here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carnegiebrown
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Booked a standard room and where not happy as it was in a corner with just a small window.
After expressing our feelings we got a a very nice ( luxe ) room with beautiful view. So the staff was very helpful but you have to realize that was possible because it was off season! The location was beautiful. View on Siena and only a 5 min. drive from the entrance where you could park. The hotel offers a great park with pool, tennis etc. The kitchen was gastronomical and off course good quality but not our taste.... So I would not go back for dinner but this could be personal. For Breakfast ( continental/included ) applies the same.
So if the price is no problem and you like a high class service and property this is a very nice place.

Room Tip: Read my review and act on it.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robertbilthoven
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

A fantastic ralais in an old typical casale of tuscany. each room is a masterpiece, and the staff will make you enjoy each moment of your stay. very professional service! for the breakfast they serve a variety of breads and some local products.
the restaurant of the hotel is fancy and also perfect in every detail. it's not a cheap place for sure, but it's perfect for a special occasion or for people looking for high standars service. I hope to be back there for another lovely weekend... :)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

I can't believe this hotel is part of Relaix & Chateaux! The hotel looks TERRIBLE! It looks like they are going out of business. Money was stolen from my husband's wallet and the hotel manager did NOT offer any help or assistance. She actually told us it was our fault because his wallet wasn't on the safe! We wanted to fill out a police report and she told us the police wouldn't come to the hotel and if we wanted to do the report we would have to drive to the police station and we could do the report but nothing would be done! We had a total of 5 rooms and we all feel the same way! Hotel and service was horrible! We left one day prior to our departure date because of all the problems that we had!! I can't believe we paid Euros 650/night for this hotel!! What a rip off!! Very disappointed!! Will NEVER stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mi_vit
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Madam,

First of all I really regret that you had a negative experience, however I must admit that while reading your review, I felt a great animosity and a deep intention on your side to harm us as much as possible...and this, it's a pity...I can understand that you might have been disappointed or that the hotel didn't fulfill your expectations, but from there to express all this aggressivity maybe there is a middle way.

The hotel is now 30 years that is part of the Relais et Chateaux association, and believe me this would not have been possible if throughout all those years, we would not have fulfilled all the necessary standards imposed by the association itself. Said this, I have been informed about your money issue and I also understood that this money (50 euro) has not been stolen from inside your safe box, but from your husband wallet which was left unattended within the room.

No matter what, I agree with you this is not a pleasant experience especially when you are in a vacation. However, I have to contradict you when you are saying that the general manager did not give you any assistance at all because, as it's reported within your file, she was the one who first suggested you to call the police and to make a report ( which already proofs that there has been a real intention to help) and that only once you have accepted, she personally called the police station ready to make a report in your behalf. The problem has been within the police officer's response, as he simply replied that they would not come for such a minor issue but however if you wish, you would be more than welcome to come and make the report directly there.

If you really wanted to go to the police station you had the possibility to do so but if you decided differently, it's maybe that you was not really interested to go for 50 euros only, I don't know...however, what I do know it's that in case you would have formulated the desire to be accompanied, no one would have refuse it, the general manager in the first place.