We stayed in this hotel last year during our Italy trip. We had heard great things and were very excited. My husband had even heard a lot about their restaurant "Il Canto' and had made a reservation quite a few days before. We had budgeted our hotels in the other cities so we could stay here as it is quite expensive. But sadly, the experience left a very bitter taste in our mouth.
Firstly, let me say they do have a great property and was it not for the owners shockingly rude and unpleasant behaviour, our experience could have been very different.
1) We were scheduled to have dinner the first night at Il Canto. After driving from Venice (which is a long drive) we arrived, tired but very excited. When we got ready for dinner, we were shown to a little room with a few tables which looked like the backend of a kitchen. There was nobody else in sight. When we inquired, we were told that Il Canto is shut on Tuesdays (I think it was a tuesday). And this after we had booked quite a few days before!!
2) We anyways ate our meal without saying anything and retired to our room. We realized then that the AC was not working. We called the manager at the time who tried to make it work. But was not successful. So she politely told us that unfortunately there was nothing she could do and this would only get fixed in the morning!! So we spent a night in the siena June heat without an ac in a reportedly 'luxury' hotel
3) All this was still ok and we would not have minded it. The worst was when I went to speak to the owner in the morning to appraise her of what had happened. She casually told me that as regards the restaurant, it is so famous that everybody knows it is shut on tuesdays!!! I mean, how would we sitting in Tokyo know that?? But she stood her ground that it was our fault that we had booked a Tuesday and not the hotel's that they actually confirmed the reservation and neglected to inform us that the restaurant is shut on that day!! Secondly, when I mentioned that the ac had not worked and we had spent the entire night in the heat, she just laughed it off and said that is something that could happen in even the Ritz Carlton in New York and it was nothing to even mention to her!!!! When I persisted and said that we have travelled all over the world and have never experienced this (as even if the ac or other amenities have not worked at other places, we have always been offered an alternative solution and the hotels make sure we are not inconvenienced) she said that it seemed that we were used to better places and that we should feel free to leave the hotel if we were unhappy with it!!! All we were looking for was understanding and an apology, instead we came away being insulted and almost thrown out.
I have never been so insulted and would recommend that if you dont want to be mistreated, please avoid this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Tuscany, 1 Km from Siena immersed in an uncontaminated countryside you find a XIV century Carthusian monastery, La Certosa di Maggiano turned into a Relais et Chateaux Hotel in 1978. An enchanting place, a light and natural luxury masterfully interpreted by the famous architect and interior designer, Renzo Mongiardino. A clear architecture with interiors rich in history dressed with impalpable silks and ornamental paintings & skillfully integrated within the natural and cultural environment. In line with this life born for silence and prayer, la Certosa di Maggiano offers today a set of services and activities aimed to improve your overall state of physical and spiritual wellness. A state of mind so well interpreted by the restaurant "Il Canto" and its Chef Paolo Lopriore, whose cuisine is another multi-sensorial journey which perfectly match our quest for life style, beauty & nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Certosa di Maggiano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Certosa Di Maggiano Hotel Siena
- Certosa Di Maggiano Siena