“Horrible Insulting Experience”

Hotel Certosa di Maggiano
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We stayed in this hotel last year during our Italy trip. We had heard great things and were very excited. My husband had even heard a lot about their restaurant "Il Canto' and had made a reservation quite a few days before. We had budgeted our hotels in the other cities so we could stay here as it is quite expensive. But sadly, the experience left a very bitter taste in our mouth.

Firstly, let me say they do have a great property and was it not for the owners shockingly rude and unpleasant behaviour, our experience could have been very different.

1) We were scheduled to have dinner the first night at Il Canto. After driving from Venice (which is a long drive) we arrived, tired but very excited. When we got ready for dinner, we were shown to a little room with a few tables which looked like the backend of a kitchen. There was nobody else in sight. When we inquired, we were told that Il Canto is shut on Tuesdays (I think it was a tuesday). And this after we had booked quite a few days before!!

2) We anyways ate our meal without saying anything and retired to our room. We realized then that the AC was not working. We called the manager at the time who tried to make it work. But was not successful. So she politely told us that unfortunately there was nothing she could do and this would only get fixed in the morning!! So we spent a night in the siena June heat without an ac in a reportedly 'luxury' hotel

3) All this was still ok and we would not have minded it. The worst was when I went to speak to the owner in the morning to appraise her of what had happened. She casually told me that as regards the restaurant, it is so famous that everybody knows it is shut on tuesdays!!! I mean, how would we sitting in Tokyo know that?? But she stood her ground that it was our fault that we had booked a Tuesday and not the hotel's that they actually confirmed the reservation and neglected to inform us that the restaurant is shut on that day!! Secondly, when I mentioned that the ac had not worked and we had spent the entire night in the heat, she just laughed it off and said that is something that could happen in even the Ritz Carlton in New York and it was nothing to even mention to her!!!! When I persisted and said that we have travelled all over the world and have never experienced this (as even if the ac or other amenities have not worked at other places, we have always been offered an alternative solution and the hotels make sure we are not inconvenienced) she said that it seemed that we were used to better places and that we should feel free to leave the hotel if we were unhappy with it!!! All we were looking for was understanding and an apology, instead we came away being insulted and almost thrown out.

I have never been so insulted and would recommend that if you dont want to be mistreated, please avoid this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kk_ak_10
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

Madam, first i really would like to express all my regrets for your negative experience. The Hotel Certosa di Maggiano is now within the Relais et Chateaux for 40 years and if I am saying this it's mainly for one reason that to be part of the Relais et Chateaux you must fulfill certain standards and you get regularly undercover inspections to see if you do so..which it means that if the Hotel is still part of the Relais et Chateaux after 40 years this means that something good they must do, and they do! The restaurant has been this year priced among the best 40 restaurants in the world and the Hotel itself is unique in all Siena for its authenticity, location and services provided, which makes the Hotel Certosa di Maggiano the most Relais et Chateaux Hotel booked in Tuscany. However, I am not here to find excuses, obviously your experience has been a negative one, therefore something must have been gone wrong and believe me i will check. However, I see that you are stating two different things within your review..at the beginning you are saying that you came last year and at the bottom of the review the date of stay appears to be June 2010, therefore for me to check i would very much appreciate if you could provide me with your exact date of stay and names so i will be able to review our records and understand what really happened.

Now, regarding the restaurant Il Canto, yes it is closed on Tuesdays, therefore i do not understand how it has been possible that someone has booked you a table when it is its closing day. However i agree that it s possible that they forgot to mention it to you when you made the reservation..human mistake which can happen, but i agree it is not supposed to. Now, what i am sure about it's that the room you mention to be the "backend" of the kitchen it is simply NOT existing at la Certosa. The property is an original XIV monastery and it is simply not having a room as you have described. The areas that are reserved for lunch and dinner are the main cloister, the adjacent "Emperors" room, the Chimney room or the restaurant room itself..but NO backends room..

Regarding the AC it is possible that a mechanical failure happened, but honestly knowing the property's policy i am a little surprised that they didn't offer you an alternative room (upgrade) and above all I am surprised the way you said they answer you, especially if we are speaking about the OWNERSHIP. This family it is 40 years that they are in the hotel business, they live the and for the hotel 24hr a day, you see them running all day long making sure everything is fine and guests feel like at home and happy and in 1 minute they would loose their mind and destroy all what they have achieved in 40 years? I agree, people might lose their mind sometimes but being within the property for many years now i have never and ever heard them being rude or getting crazy with no one. Are you sure it was the owner? are you not maybe confusing her with someone at the reception? if you remember her name this would help...

Said this madam, i really would be grateful if you could provide me with the information i have asked above and believe me i will take immediate action to check and come back to you with a full report. Thank you

Reviewed 6 July 2010

The food is the best, the service incredible. If you like small hotels, with impeccable service, this one’s for you. It is a great place to get away and relax. The only down side is no internet service in rooms, and no high def TVs. Internet service and computer are available, just not in your room. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FloridaDoctor1
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I came with my wife from Australia to visit Tuscany. Siena and its surroundings are very nice for a vaction experience. However, this hotel is terrible...next time I will go there I will look for another one.
Rooms are not clean...no air conditioning...very small inconsistent meals...too high price for the value received. The owner of this Hotel is also a very rude woman that doesn't behave very nicely... she answered very unpolitely to us and other customers for just asking about simple concerns or information.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bird775
CertosadiMaggiano, marketing manager at Hotel Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2010

Dear Sir,

before I start to reply to your review i would like to express all my concern about your negative experience...really... being within the tourism industry our goal is that you leave with great memories and just wish to come back..this is why we work..to serve you and make you feel happy.

Said this, the Hotel Certosa di Maggiano is within the hotel business as a Relais et Chateaux Hotel for the last 40 years, and to be part of the Relais et Chateaux it means that you must fulfill high and severe standards, therefore there is no big space for mistakes or surprises if even accidents might happen. In addition to this, as you have underlined by yourself, the property lives within the hotel and is 24hr a day involved within the hotel life and management giving their best to offer you the best experience possible.

Now regarding air condition I do not understand exactly what happened, because every room has air condition and this from many many years already.

About the cleanliness if even the rooms are cleaned every day and checked twice a day, yes.. accidents as said earlier might happen...what it is important it's that they are not repeated. I really would like to know what unsatisfied you about the cleanliness so I can make sure this will be fixed and not repeated again.

About the restaurant I believe it is a question of taste, the restaurant "Il Canto" is run and managed by one of the most known chefs in Italy, Paolo Lopriore, who in 2009 got the highest recognition from the most famous food guide in Italy (Il Gambero Rosso) with a score of 18,5/20

Again..i really appreciate your comments and believe me they just are a great motivation for us to do better and improve ourselves in order to satisfy the great amount of repeated guests we have every year. Hoping you will come back to visit Siena and its region, i would be very delighted to welcome you personally, for a drink, for a dinner..no matter..but this time I will make sure you will leave with sweet memories and peaceful thoughts.

Reviewed 3 November 2009

First, a disclaimer: I can't be entirely objective about Certosa di Maggiano. The hotel helped arrange for us to get married in Siena 16 years ago. This was before destination weddings were a trend, and before the internet made things easy. I'll always be grateful to them, and those memories are priceless.

But in a way, the hotel had an impossible task when we returned to Siena this year: how could it possibly live up to romantic memories and 16 years of nostalgia?

I'm happy to report that the hotel is as spectacular as ever. The rooms and the grounds are perfect in every detail. The place is serene and quiet, but not at all stuffy or needlessly formal. The staff are warm, friendly, and always ready to help.

I've read some mixed reviews about the restaurant and am sort of mystified. We found the meal to be just great: fantastic flavors, interesting presentation and with warm, attentive service. The chef is ambitious, and we liked what he's doing.

Pros: Gorgeous property, beautiful rooms, serene atmosphere, note-perfect staff and great food. Easy access to drive anywhere in Tuscany from here. It's hard to imagine a more beautiful hotel.

Cons: Walking to Siena is possible, but it's a bit of a walk and the road is narrow. You'll need a taxi, but they're not expensive. Or, drive and park at the huge parking lot in town.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tom_Takes_Trips
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Stayed two nites early October, 2009. Far enough from Sienna to require a cab. Room was OK but with non functioning air conditioning. Grounds are beautiful and well maintained. No wireless internet. The one station the hotel had for guests was broken and "should be fixed in a week or so". The staff was polite and helpfull, the breakfasts included were good, We had one dinner that was the most pretentious, overpriced, and odd collection of food one could dream up. Some diners seemed to be going for the illusion that if dinner costs 100 euro each and the staff is stiff and pretentious the food must be good. It is a good thing that they served bread with the meal it's all we ate. It was the only edible part of the dinner. They must be out of their mind to keep the chef.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MEtravelers2
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2010

Sir..i know..i respond late to your review and I apologize..The Certosa di Maggiano is exactly located 1km from Siena's entrance that you can either reach by cab, by foot or even with your own transportation...the fact that we are surrounded by 6 hectares of land just 1km off town, i honestly, find it a plus..a luxury in today urbanization and this what makes also la Certosa the special place it is. THERE IS NO hotels in Siena that are immersed within nature just 1km off Siena's city. It's true..there is no wireless connection but however we have an internet point..which in fact is located within the monastery library and it is also equipped with a printer machine..regarding the restaurant and its food i believe it is a question of taste. This year Il Canto restaurant has been awarded among the best 50 restaurants in the world..i believe this means something, after you know...i personally do not love all Picasso's paintings but this doesn't mean that he was not talented..just a question of personal taste...

Reviewed 2 September 2008

It's more than a month that I am leaving in Italy and, since the beginning, I was looking forward to spending a couple of days in Siena.
My friends suggested me to stay at the Certosa di Maggiano for the weekend. We did it and really we cannot complain about anything it is a great property hosted in a 13th-century Chartusian Monastery ... the restaurant was fantastic as well.
I must say thanks to Lohan and Minnie (our friends who pushed us to book here) ... I have a present for you guys!!!
At the hotel we had an unforgettable break, drinking tuscan wine by the pool and staring at the beautiful surroundings. The staf at the hotel was very heplful, discrete and polite ... furnishings, fabrics and in-room facilities are those of a 5star accommodation. Common areas were well kept and clean, few words to describe the whole setting: luxury environment and friendly staff!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank WatsonR
Reviewed 29 July 2008

This converted monastery provides the perfect setting for a beautiful hotel. Its proximity to Siena and the breathtaking Chianti area makes it a great base for touring from. The hotel made the most of its setting, using the cloisters as a unique dining area. We did not eat from the full menu but the lunch and dinner we had at the hotel were both of a very high standard. Breakfast included freshly baked rolls, quiche, pastries and fresh peach juice; it was served in a side garden. All the staff were very eager to please and nothing seem to be too much trouble.
The only downsides were no WiFi and the parking. If you come here in a big car, expect to find the entrance to the car park a challenge! It is very narrow, up a slope and curves round, if you get it wrong you are likely to hit the gate.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family