“Can't go wrong”

Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Houston
“Can't go wrong”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Great location near Church of St Dominic (Chiesa San Domenico) but a little hidden. Ask someone if you get lost- we walked right past without noticing it. If driving into Siena you have to park outside the walls of the city so pack lightly. You may have to drag your luggage a distance up and down hills.
Beautiful views, great price, good breakfast and service. Clean rooms with comfy beds.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank okitsme2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Get a room with a balcony for a breathtaking view of Siena (the duomo and battistero) across a valley to the next hill. The swallows dart about in the morning and evening, and it's lovely. It is well-located for arrival by bus (5 minutes walk) and for all city sites, with lots of good eateries nearby. The only drawback is incredibly thin walls. Our neighbours chatted with each other til 2:15 in the morning and we heard to every word til we bought good earplugs. Still, the historic origin of the site and the fabulous view pretty much make up for the noise. Bring earplugs and you'll be right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view/balcony.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MisterForbes
Dallas
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times on visits to Siena. It is very reasonably priced and in a good location. Many rooms on top two floors have excellent views of the Duomo and town with balconies. The rooms are basic (no television) but extremely clean and a great value. Excellent buffet breakfast included in price. Very friendly and helpful staff during all my stays.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank buddyebsen
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I just got back yesterday from 2 weeks in 4 different cities in italy, and i could not wait one minute longer before writing this review of hotel alma domus. I picked this hotel based on the rick steves recommendation and all of the positive reviews here and I was definitely not disappointed. It’s located just a 5 minute walk from the piazza gramsci bus station, right next door to basilica st. catherine, down a sloping cobblestone path. As soon as I passed through the amazingly cute courtyard onto the property, the gentleman at the front desk greeted me by name, with a pleasant “buon giorno”. I must have been the only person checking in that day for him to reference my name, but that’s great customer service. This set the tone for wonderful service I received there my entire 4 days. Since this used to be a former convent, the rooms are clean and functional. No tv and no radio, which was completely fine by me. Some folks on this forum complain about the rooms being too small, but the room was bigger than I expected, based on the reviews…and at the end of the day, how much space do you need? I spent my days in the town of siena, not hanging in the room. The view from the balcony was breathtaking…I found myself every morning standing on the balcony breathing the clean, fresh air…enjoying the stillness of the morning before the town fully awoke. Continental breakfast every day filled me up nicely before hitting the sights. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from il campo and the duomo. I even walked through the town, passed the “porta” into the “city” of siena and that didn’t take long either. Internet access in the quaint sitting room (1 euro for 30 minutes) kept me connected to my friends and family back home. As a single female traveller, I felt safe and secure here, and throughout the town. And to top it off, all of this for 45 euros a night!!! Im convinced you cannot find this kind of value anywhere else on the globe. If siena is ever in your travel plans, do stay at hotel alma domus. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank TheLastUnicorn17
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 April 2011

My niece and I spent one night at the Alma Domus. This was one of the accommodations recommended in Rich Steves 2011 Italy book. The rooms are clean and adequate for the price. The front desk staff was helpful and recommended a wonderful restaurant nearby where I had the best homemade pasta of our trip! The view of the Siena Duomo and the city at night was worth it. The city is hilly and the Il Campo is a 10 minute walk. Continental breakfast was included and getting warm croissants in the morning was heavenly. I will definitely recommend this to my friends and will stay if I every visit Siena again.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank FerretLover96
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We were amazed at the set up of the hotel, so many levels. As a former convent, the rooms were ample size, with a beautiful view of Sienna from the small balcony. From the hotel, we walked to all the sites from the hotel. The hotel staff were very helpful, answering our questions about the town, and calling a cab to get to the station. The breakfast was delicious, and very filling. We were glad that we took a cab from the station to the hotel, as the hills were very steep and winding to reach the hotel carrying a backpack.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traveler59012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 January 2011

A no frills quiet hotel with clean, basic rooms, great price, great location, beautiful view! Within a 10min walk of all major sights. Ask for a room with the view of the Duomo. I stay here every time I visit Siena.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple