“Good, but Spartan”
Review of Hotel Alma Domus

Hotel Alma Domus
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Reviewed 8 June 2011

If all you're looking for is a place to park your carcass each night in Siena, you can't go wrong with Hotel Alma Domus. It's a good, basic hotel, clean and safe. The staff are polite and helpful, and the location is relatively convenient to Siena's historic centre, though certainly not in the heart of it.

However, if you're looking for those extra touches that make a stay memorable, you won't find them here. The hotel is owned by the church and it shows; the rooms reminded me of monk's cells in some respects. The bathrooms have those showers that are only enclosed by a curtain rather than a complete separate stall--so you can expect to get the entire floor of the bathroom wet when you shower. The views are okay, but not breath-taking.

In other words, this is definitely a step up from a hostel, but a step down from most other hotels (though not, I grant, in terms of cleanliness or safety). Whether you enjoy your stay depends on what you want from a hotel; if it's just the basics, you'll be perfectly satisfied; if it's something more, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
1  Thank Ron S

Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband and I, along with another couple, stayed at Hotel Alma Domus in April of this year. The rooms were very clean, decently sized, with their own bathrooms. The hotel was quiet and clean, tucked away beside a large church. The staff was incredbibly helpful and welcoming. Curfew is 1, which was wonderful as we managed to get lost our first night in Siena. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others. The price, location, and comfort of the rooms can't be beat.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank asoh2011
Reviewed 6 June 2011

It is a simple hotel. Clean, comfortable and quiet when it counts. We pushed the singles together and towards the balcony window so we could easily enjoy the view of the Duomo from bed. The view we had of the Duomo and Siena was a gift each day that we savored and took WAY TOO MANY pictures of. Breakfast was a nice selection of pasteries, breads, yougurts and cheese and nutella. Juices and fruits and the coffee which I found to be very good. The woman who served breakfast and cleaned our rooms was warm, friendly and smiled a welcome to us each day. The front desk offered great suggestions for dining, both of which we took and enjoyed. Shower is on the smaller side for a tall or broad person but doable. I liked the closet with shelves which made it easy to keep things neat and in order. I'd definitely recommend room 25 or any along that side on the 3rd floor. Best view in and of Siena.

4  Thank HappyStop
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Great location near Church of St Dominic (Chiesa San Domenico) but a little hidden. Ask someone if you get lost- we walked right past without noticing it. If driving into Siena you have to park outside the walls of the city so pack lightly. You may have to drag your luggage a distance up and down hills.
Beautiful views, great price, good breakfast and service. Clean rooms with comfy beds.

3  Thank okitsme2
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Get a room with a balcony for a breathtaking view of Siena (the duomo and battistero) across a valley to the next hill. The swallows dart about in the morning and evening, and it's lovely. It is well-located for arrival by bus (5 minutes walk) and for all city sites, with lots of good eateries nearby. The only drawback is incredibly thin walls. Our neighbours chatted with each other til 2:15 in the morning and we heard to every word til we bought good earplugs. Still, the historic origin of the site and the fabulous view pretty much make up for the noise. Bring earplugs and you'll be right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view/balcony.
1  Thank MisterForbes
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times on visits to Siena. It is very reasonably priced and in a good location. Many rooms on top two floors have excellent views of the Duomo and town with balconies. The rooms are basic (no television) but extremely clean and a great value. Excellent buffet breakfast included in price. Very friendly and helpful staff during all my stays.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank buddyebsen
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I just got back yesterday from 2 weeks in 4 different cities in italy, and i could not wait one minute longer before writing this review of hotel alma domus. I picked this hotel based on the rick steves recommendation and all of the positive reviews here and I was definitely not disappointed. It’s located just a 5 minute walk from the piazza gramsci bus station, right next door to basilica st. catherine, down a sloping cobblestone path. As soon as I passed through the amazingly cute courtyard onto the property, the gentleman at the front desk greeted me by name, with a pleasant “buon giorno”. I must have been the only person checking in that day for him to reference my name, but that’s great customer service. This set the tone for wonderful service I received there my entire 4 days. Since this used to be a former convent, the rooms are clean and functional. No tv and no radio, which was completely fine by me. Some folks on this forum complain about the rooms being too small, but the room was bigger than I expected, based on the reviews…and at the end of the day, how much space do you need? I spent my days in the town of siena, not hanging in the room. The view from the balcony was breathtaking…I found myself every morning standing on the balcony breathing the clean, fresh air…enjoying the stillness of the morning before the town fully awoke. Continental breakfast every day filled me up nicely before hitting the sights. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from il campo and the duomo. I even walked through the town, passed the “porta” into the “city” of siena and that didn’t take long either. Internet access in the quaint sitting room (1 euro for 30 minutes) kept me connected to my friends and family back home. As a single female traveller, I felt safe and secure here, and throughout the town. And to top it off, all of this for 45 euros a night!!! Im convinced you cannot find this kind of value anywhere else on the globe. If siena is ever in your travel plans, do stay at hotel alma domus. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo