“A motel with great views”
Review of Hotel Alma Domus

Hotel Alma Domus
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I loved the view from this hotel. The room itself reminded me of a motel. It was clean and comfortable but the furnishings were cheesy. The staff was pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was adequate. The distance to the center of town depended on your stamina for hill climbing: you could either go down a very steep hill and then immediately up another steep hill or you could take a longer more sloping road. One way or the other you were no more than 10 minutes from the Duomo and the Piazza del Campo. The balcony was small with room for one chair.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms are all the same.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bjdoliber

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, we were enchanted....built in the 14th century this place is beautiful with it's terrace where you can bring your lunch or supper, have wine and enjoy the view of the city and the Duomo. The area is so quiet you wouldn't believe it. A few restaurants up the stairs or side streets. Located to visit everything by foot. Near bus station to visit nearby hill towns (San Giminiano, Monteriggioni etc..) Basic breakfast but very convenient; a little protein like hard boiled eggs of cheese would be nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FranceDesjardins
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and could not have chosen a quieter or better location for a first time visitor to Siena. Great view of Duomo from room, which was roomier than most and had updated bathroom. Staff could not have been more helpful with suggestions for restaurants and activities. Breakfast is basic but adequate. Overall a terrific value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank HoosierTraveler51
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at the Alma Domus a couple of weeks ago. The hotel was clean and for the price was okay. The lady that met us at the front desk was so indifferent about us being there I wondered if we had made a bad choice. I admit I'm not the smallest guy around, but the showers were ridiculously small - basically had to lean over into the shower because the doors wouldn't open enough to get in. I tried to take a tray of pastries back to the room at breakfast and for a few moments thought I was going to get kicked out of the hotel. Not even allowed to take coffee to the room. If I go back to Siena, I'll probably take my chances and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David G
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Belonging to Convent, this Hotel is renovated, has modern highlights, good bathroom, heater, no A/C, good elevator. Very clean facilities. Basic italian breakfast, just sweet and coffee. Very close to downtown. If you go by own car just can download luggage since Hotel is in ZTL area(protected only residents ad authorized). Parkings are available nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived there in the pouring rain and walked down the stairs to the reception to be greeted with a look from the receptionist as to why I was here. Im sorry I thought this was a hotel?
She then proceeded to take our passports give us keys (barely any information) and shuffle us out of the reception area as fast as we walked in.
The room was lovely to their credit. Good facilities and a nice breakfast. Also situated in an excellent position.
Dont bother asking for a map either. One the receptionist didnt seem to know what a map was and two you wont recieve any information about the town nor your position in the town so you will spend the next 20-30 minutes figuring out where to go and how to get there on the poorly photocopied map provided.
Recieved one friendly smile from staff and it was when we were leaving.
Would only recommend staying at this hotel for the price it costs if you have everything you need to know about the city already and dont require ANY help or local knowledge from the staff as they will probably just look at you and be confused as to why you asked a question.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt D
Alma D, Direttore at Hotel Alma Domus, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

I'm sorry if my colleague of the front desk was not up to the task, this is not excusable but as can be read from other reviews we all work hard to give good service to our customers, we also give everyone a map of the city and we give all the information about the city.

kind regards

Dr. Louis Locco

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I've stayed at Hotel Alma Domus for several days in the last four years. Every time I just feel "at home." If you arrive by shuttle or taxi, just tell them to take you to the San Domenico church. Then walk down the hill to the left of the church, follow it as it turns left, then take a sharp right down large stairs to the hotel on the left. I'm lucky I had been there before because our shuttle driver had difficulty with GPS since cars can't drive down that road!

The rooms are very clean, comfortable and quiet. The decor is a little different in each room. This year I had a proper shower with doors and did not have to shower over the toilet. I had asked by email to have a room with a view this year and was very disappointed not to get that. Somehow the staff missed that in my email. Fortunately, I travel with university students and our view-less rooms were more to our budget anyway. And truthfully, Siena is such a great city that I only go back to the room to sleep! Breakfast is typical and not memorable... breads, spreads, fruit, juices, coffee. The staff is helpful, knows your room number (they ask for you to turn in keys when you leave the premises), and some are friendly.

The restaurants just outside the hotel are terrific. We ate at San Domenico and Nonno Mede twice each! Can't wait to return again next year!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends