Hotel Alma Domus
US$164
Hotel Garden(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$122
All reviewsformer conventyogurtthe bussmall balconysan domenicogreat view of the duomosingle roomhotel entrancetop floorfantastic locationcommon roomincluded breakfastconvenient locationminute walkcakespiazza del camposuperior room
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This was our second stay at Alma Domus and both times it was exactly as expected: clean, decent room with a view of the duomo and a decent breakfast. Staff were friendly but not overly so.

1  Thank scooter46
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Located in "Santuario Santa Caterina". Very simple, but clean and near the Piazza Gramsi, the principal bus stop to Firenze and other cities of Tuscany.
It´s nice to hear the sound of the bells in the morning.
A wonderful, incredible view of Siena in the balcony!
The breakfast was very good.

1  Thank MarciaFV
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I have read some of the September comments and must say....Did you not realize this was a convent converted into a simple hotel. What ever happened to simplicity? If you wanted the Ritz...stay at the Ritz. I would like now to speak to those who are prepared to stay in a "yes.... spiritual/historical" setting...perhaps appreciate being somewhere which is actually steps away from where Saint Catherine actually lived and walked and where you are able to view Siena from morning to night at your leisure (without tourists running about) because you are actually living within the walls of Siena. If you require staying in your room all day...then perhaps a lovely room in a very expensive/decorated hotel would be more suitable.

I, on the other hand, loved this Hotel. Yes...I have stayed at the five star hotels and yes...I have had amazing breakfast servings...but you are in Siena....your room is small, your breakfast is simple, the noise may be loud on a particular day or two every year...ok...this happens anywhere. If you are not religious/spiritual in any way and take offence to a spiritual surrounding (...then yes...stay in the five star hotels. If you are interested in working while on vacation and require access to several computers...then yes...stay at a five star hotel.

I woke up to church bells...I ate very healthy breakfast with simple yogurt, cereal, juice, fresh backed buns, etc......for some reason I did not crave greasy eggs and bacon. I woke up early and walked the quiet streets of Siena before the tourists arrived and late at night sat outside and looked out to the most beautiful setting. I am a solo traveler (drove to the hotel from Florence and traveled 1,800 kms all around Italy during Sept/Oct)...yes...I got lost finding the Hotel too....but I was not in any hurry....I respected these simple, gentle people and eventually found my way...(note...park across from the underground parking lot at the entrance to Siena..It’s free)...walk up the stairs by the Fountain and you are there.

All I can say is we are sometimes a little too spoiled and I think once in awhile you need to lay back a little....look at how lucky we are with all we have...and enjoy the difference of somewhere new....I find it unfair to rate this hotel so poorly. I never felt so peaceful while on vacation in my small simple room with simple rules and simple food. Funny...my upgraded Hotel in Sorrento was amazing...but I would go back to Hotel Alma in a moment....it only made me more appreciative of all we have and respeced the nuns who once lived there.

I hope you experience this Hotel...the location is perfect and the best!!!! Enjoy and relax a little...your on vacation!

Hamilton, Ontario

2  Thank plananditwillhappen
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Clean, small room but adequate. We had a room with a view! It was WONDERFUL to look out on the city and hear the church bells ringing in the morning & at night. Really good value. We'd stay here again.

1  Thank JandK-Sydney
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Our two night stay in Siena started off with a slightly confusing walk from the train station, but the locals were quite helpful. Clearer directions on the hotel website would be appreciated. The front desk staff was curt but performed the basic tasks of giving us our room key and referring us to a nearby restaurant for dinner. The room floor was dirty and needed to be swept. The bathroom was clean, but very small with no division between the shower floor and the rest of the bathroom floor (= very wet bathroom). And breakfast was the most spartan and least appetizing of any of our hotels in Italy.

Although the subsequent event wasn't the hotel's fault, some warning should be given to guests. We later learned that it is quite common starting in August for the local youth/young adults to throw parities nearby. To say that it was noisy is a radical understatement; the walls and beds were shaking. The noise was unbearable even with earplugs (and I live next door to a club at home in the States where the earplugs do their job well). The windows/doors to the patio were not double-paned unfortunately. I could hear the lyrics to Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Song quite clearly even with my hearing disability. Sometimes, girls just wanna go to sleep. The music ended shortly before 2am. When I went down to the front desk at 1am to inquire about the noise and when I reported it to staff the next morning, all I received was a "yes, those parties do happen." Again, some advance warning and a sincere apology would have been helpful.

The highlight of our stay in SIena was interacting with the other hotel guests that we met on the outdoor patio. For that, I thank the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family