“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Ottawa, Canada
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

My wife & I stayed at the Alma Domus in September 2010 for 2 nights and had a wonderful time in Siena. Accommodations are small & no frills, but the location and hotel rate cannot be beat. It is only about a 10 minute walk from Il Campo, so close to the action but also very quiet. We both recommend this hotel. In Siena, you have to try the Antica Pizzicheria al Palazzo della Chigiana (Via di citta 93/95) for the best sandwiches. Great quality and huge sizes, 1 can be shared by 2 people.

Pros: Nice courtyard; great location (10-15 minute walk to Il Campo); nice small balconies in some rooms; tidy & comfortable; excellent & friendly service; decent breakfast with nice espresso; amazing rates.

Cons: Sewage odor in bathroom twice during stay. Staff was very accommodating and offered to change us rooms but running the shower for 30 seconds took care of the problem.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Alma Domus in Siena for four nights. While it is a pretty basic hotel, we really enjoyed our stay there. We had researched the location and didn't have any trouble finding it. The desk staff was not overly friendly, but they were helpful enough. The breakfast was fine with OK quality and plenty of choices - but remember it's a European breakfast, meaning basic breads, jellies, pastries, and juices/coffee. The capuccino was a nice touch. The breakfast staff people were very pleasant. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the view was amazing. And we appreciated the terrycloth towels in the bathroom. No television was fine with us. We would stay there again anytime!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucca041
Taylors
Reviewed 28 October 2010

This is a working convent with a unique history. Although spartan in furnishings, the rooms had everything needed, except the bathrooms were very tiny. However be sure to request a room with a balcony for the view is fantastic. All of Siena can be seen from my balcony room. The included breakfast was monotonous and like the rooms, spartan.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Portland, OR
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We stayed two nights at the Alma Domus in October. The rooms and also bathrooms are *tiny*, but the views from the bath-mat-sized balcony are fantastic. The bed was very hard but that seems to be an Italian thing.
The location is good, although I was hoping to be slightly closer to the city. I have walking issues and did not realize that the hotel's "street" was actually a long flight of stairs.
The service was mixed, with the gentleman on the desk in the evenings being an awesome reference while the lady on in the day time was a sourpuss. Breakfast was fine. Italians don't do big breakfasts and I was craving something other than pastries and coffee by the time we got to Siena. They had yogurt, which was nice.
In all, for a budget hotel I think it was a fair value. Not great, but fair. In retrospect I think I would have been happier spending a bit more money to have a nicer place, but I don't regret staying there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Minervaa
Salem
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This was our second stay at Alma Domus and both times it was exactly as expected: clean, decent room with a view of the duomo and a decent breakfast. Staff were friendly but not overly so.

1 Thank scooter46
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Located in "Santuario Santa Caterina". Very simple, but clean and near the Piazza Gramsi, the principal bus stop to Firenze and other cities of Tuscany.
It´s nice to hear the sound of the bells in the morning.
A wonderful, incredible view of Siena in the balcony!
The breakfast was very good.

1 Thank MarciaFV
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I have read some of the September comments and must say....Did you not realize this was a convent converted into a simple hotel. What ever happened to simplicity? If you wanted the Ritz...stay at the Ritz. I would like now to speak to those who are prepared to stay in a "yes.... spiritual/historical" setting...perhaps appreciate being somewhere which is actually steps away from where Saint Catherine actually lived and walked and where you are able to view Siena from morning to night at your leisure (without tourists running about) because you are actually living within the walls of Siena. If you require staying in your room all day...then perhaps a lovely room in a very expensive/decorated hotel would be more suitable.

I, on the other hand, loved this Hotel. Yes...I have stayed at the five star hotels and yes...I have had amazing breakfast servings...but you are in Siena....your room is small, your breakfast is simple, the noise may be loud on a particular day or two every year...ok...this happens anywhere. If you are not religious/spiritual in any way and take offence to a spiritual surrounding (...then yes...stay in the five star hotels. If you are interested in working while on vacation and require access to several computers...then yes...stay at a five star hotel.

I woke up to church bells...I ate very healthy breakfast with simple yogurt, cereal, juice, fresh backed buns, etc......for some reason I did not crave greasy eggs and bacon. I woke up early and walked the quiet streets of Siena before the tourists arrived and late at night sat outside and looked out to the most beautiful setting. I am a solo traveler (drove to the hotel from Florence and traveled 1,800 kms all around Italy during Sept/Oct)...yes...I got lost finding the Hotel too....but I was not in any hurry....I respected these simple, gentle people and eventually found my way...(note...park across from the underground parking lot at the entrance to Siena..It’s free)...walk up the stairs by the Fountain and you are there.

All I can say is we are sometimes a little too spoiled and I think once in awhile you need to lay back a little....look at how lucky we are with all we have...and enjoy the difference of somewhere new....I find it unfair to rate this hotel so poorly. I never felt so peaceful while on vacation in my small simple room with simple rules and simple food. Funny...my upgraded Hotel in Sorrento was amazing...but I would go back to Hotel Alma in a moment....it only made me more appreciative of all we have and respeced the nuns who once lived there.

I hope you experience this Hotel...the location is perfect and the best!!!! Enjoy and relax a little...your on vacation!

Hamilton, Ontario