“Clean but too many problems (nice host, though)” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Centrale
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Siena
New York City, New York
“Clean but too many problems (nice host, though)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

You walk up five floors on narrow and steep stairs, When you get to the top you find a sign that says more or less: "Look don't even think about complaining. We sent you the contract with the conditions. We told you it was on the top floor and there was no elevator. No, we won't cancel your reservation." Frankly it's beyond the pale. I booked with Booking.com and I can assure that I did not see any warnings of that kind.
OK, it's clean. But my bathroom had a faint sewage smell. The shower stall is microscopic. You enter after sliding two half doors that meet at an angle. I am not a big big guy, but my butt and stomach rubbed against the door frames to get in and out.
One single micro packet (ketchup size) of soap. No shampoo. I had a double bed, but since I was alone they gave me only one pillow. Bizarre signs in even more bizarre English.
I got up around 7, I went to the breakfast area, the host told me no coffee until 8. OK, I had work to do with my computer (BTW, WIFI DID NOT WORK). The owner was putzing around. At 7.57 he asked me if i wanted coffee. He couldn't really make it half an hour earlier?
He is a nice guy, but frankly the deal is not for someone like me. Maybe for students, or young travelers on a budget, but I have past the phase when I can put up with hostel-level service and accoutrements.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank fkolingen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Zwevegem, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a budget hotel, well managed, helpfull staff (they provided me with everything you need to know about Brunello tour etc), I had a lovely little balcony where I had breakfast! Its central location is a big plus! OK there is no elevator, but it is stated in the reservation, so I don't see why people are complaining, parking same thing, you can park not far from the hotel, hey If you don't want to walk why come to Siena? I stayed here already 2 times and had no complaints what so ever! You get what you payerd for, want a bell boy, alas its gonna cost ya! Nice hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Kalamazoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had a great stay here. Our room was clean and comfortable. We had a room with a balcony which was great for enjoying a bottle of wine before dinner. Our room also had a mini refrigerator to store food. The staff was more than helpful in suggesting restaurants and activities. Breakfast was continental, pastry with choice of coffee. The hotel is situated on the top floor of a building with no elevator. 4 flights of stairs to reach the hotel. No problem here, since the added exercise let us eat even more gelato!! The hotel staff helped with the bags. I would definitely stay here again for the price and location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank azo2ord
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The location of the hotel is very good, but the hotel itself is nothing special. The hotel is on the 4th floor, but they have a pulley to assist bringing the luggage up. What bothered us the most was the parking situation, which we queried when making the booking. We were told it was 5 minutes away , which on arrival we were told 8-10 mins, when in reality it s a good 20 minutes with our luggage. Also to get to the parking was a mission as it is not anywhere near the city centre of siena via a vehicle. One has to park in the stadium. Just be awAre that if you are driving yourself a GPS is of no use in siena as the roads are very steep and one way roads. And often no cars allowed on the roads either. We had no issues with the staff, who were polite to us. Breakfast was average but enough.if you are aware that you are going by car, it would be better to get directions directly to the stadium car park as driving in the city is very stressful because of narrow roads and steepness. We never actually got to the hotel in our car.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Good morning, we have always advised our clients free parking confirm house that is always in the historical center of Siena (Viale Vittorio Veneto) next to the fortress. Parking is located 8 minutes from our hotel on foot. IMPOSSIBLE TO 20 MINUTES WALK LIKE YOU WRITES. Instead of thanking us that we have recommended the Hotel parking at no cost and you saved 25,00 € per night is also allowed to complain, believe it or not she is correct.
Remember that with a time of 20 minutes on foot turns around Siena, how is it that in her 20-minute walk from the car park and arrived at the Hotel, IMPOSSIBLE.
Furthermore, our breakfast is fresh and we prepare every morning, with a different choice, fresh croissants, sandwiches, sweets, chocolate, coffee is prepared as the best brands at the bar, like cappuccino is prepared at the bar, tea from the best brands, nutella , jam, yogurt, coffee, chocolate, cheese and salami fresh, I'm sorry but our breakfast and only to be appreciated only by our desire and passion to prepare breakfast every morning with fresh materials.
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Central but I'm not agree on its hedge.
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is its location. But it was very hard to enter the old city with our car and finding this hotel and then climbing to the 4th floor with all our bags and NO elevator. Another surprise was when we entered our room - no A/C in August heat....Awful! Breakfast was pretty poor as well as WI-FI signal in the room. I really don't understand what's all that excitement about in other reviews here... We'll definitely go to another hotel in our next stay in Siena.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Ms Lena we do not understand you,
you first book (Booking.com - Venere.com ect. Ect.) Has agreed to certain conditions including 1.) The absence repeat to be clear that there is no elevator, 2.) The hotel is located on the 4th floor, 3.) the absence of the conditioning.
Incredible accept certain conditions, and then complain, but as you can.

I can understand other unpleasant situations that were caused by our fault addressed to you, the client.

I'm sorry but you can not complain about conditions that knew before making a reservation.

We have worked professionally and with all due respect in his comparisons and that you has not been corrected against us.

But then how can it be said in his review these words .... (I do not understand what is all this enthusiasm in other reviews here). You must leave your review and don't worry for other people who read take the decision if book or not with us.
Iasi, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel because it is wright in the center, close to the square and the dome. The staff is polite and very helpful, they offered a map and gave advices.
The hotel is on the 4th floor of an old building,no elavator. But the room we stayed in was very nice decorated, with a big window, and clean too.
I loved the fealing of this ancient building, it is quiet and you can sense the true italian spirit.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
thank you very much for taking your time to write some beautiful words, we are very pleased that your stay with us was so special, for us is more than pleased to help you.

We also hope to host you again and again, for any information please contact us and follow us on facebook.

Thanks.
Rolling Hills Estates, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

In 20 years of travel to more than 20 countries, I have never encountered a hotel like this. Our family of four arrived a couple of hours early for check in, and were informed after pressing the call button that we could just drop our bags. We were fine with it and lugged our suitcases to the fourth floor. My daughter wanted to urgently use the bathroom and I requested if she could use one for a minute. The receptionist said that was not possible. As they were cleaning some rooms I suggested that she could use a bathroom in one for less than a minute since it was urgent and pleaded again. At this point one of the guys present, who might have been the manager went berserk. He tossed us out of the hotel by taking our suitcases to the door and shouted at us to leave. I said they would have to cancel our reservation then and not charge us and the man kept yelling at us and said this was not possible. My wife intervened and said she would complain about them and the man said to go ahead, violently thumping the desk all the time. My wife, who is a psychiatrist, says she has rarely seen such anger even among her most disturbed patients. We naturally left, fearing violence. We found a hotel around the corner. Forget their inhumanity in not letting a girl use a bathroom when she was in urgent need. Wouldn't you think someone in the hospitality business would have dealt with the situation in a slightly more civil manner? And was the unwarranted violent thumping on the desk to threaten my wife really necessary? If you look at previous tripadvisor reports, you will find that this is not an isolated incident. The violent-tempered man has been rude to other guests before.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kbk2013
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hello, my name is and I am a manager at the Hotel Rosario Central Siena, on this recinsione I can only say that the client has never've been inside the Hotel Central Siena. We contacted Tripadvisor and we were informed that you can not do anything. So anyone can write recinsione untrue and degrade a structure working seriously and with passion.
That is according to my opinion because the whole world is falling apart. The following is a response Tripadvisor that surely will not be published as hoteliers can write to us and to them all when it comes to truth can not write anything. Attention responsible for Tripadvisor recinsione you read this, I made ​​a copy and send to the proper authorities.

response Advisor

We conducted an internal investigation which revealed that the review in question is complying with regulations for publication on our site. Therefore, the review will not be removed by TripAdvisor travelers.
We encourage reviewers to take into account the overall assessment that emerges from the reviews of a structure. If most of the reviews are positive, travelers tend to interpret the negative review as a sporadic case.

If you have not already taken advantage of this opportunity, please use the replication direction that will allow it to respond to a review, and to make known to travelers for its opinion. The replica will be displayed at the direction of the review to which it refers, and this will allow travelers to know both points of view.
For more tips and information about our services, including replicas of the direction, visit the Management Centre: www.tripadvisor.it / owners