All reviews shared bathroom bottle of wine the bus rick steves breakfast terrace private bath other guests ceiling fan church bells wonderful view san domenico medieval city small hotel old town wonderful stay piazza del campo sink
Reviewed 23 September 2017

I paid 216 Euros for a three night stay, not including breakfast. A sink only in my room.

The hotel is to be found in the quieter back-streets of Siena, away from the visiting hordes at the Piazza del Campo & Duomo, both less than five mins walk away.. It's a five minute walk from to a bus terminal and about 15 from Siena train station.

I found the owner, Eugenia, to be very helpful and accommodating. Her English is as good as mine !! With the aid of a small tourist map, she showed to me where the sites of interest were and how to get there.

There is a lovey terrace, where one can sit and have breakfast, or indeed, an afternoon break enjoying a glass of vino. It has a lovely view across roof-tops, to the Duomo. Eugenia is happy for visitors to bring their own food and drink into the premises and there is a communal fridge to keep things cold.

My room was not en suite but did have a sink in it. The room itself was clean and tidy. I knew beforehand that I would be sharing a bathroom with other guests ....... but I didn't find a problem with it. There are two such bathrooms, so chances are one will be free at any given time.

I did have the buffet-style breakfast , which I found to be more than adequate for me.

Overall I think for what I paid I got very good VFM ( I then stayed one night in Pisa... nightmare ! ) and would be more than happy to return.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
BerniniSiena, Responsabile reception at Albergo Bernini, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Thank you so much for your time to write this message. We are really happy to see that you have a good stay from us. We hope to see you again in our hotel!
Thank you so much again and kind regards.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

Despite having friendly and helpful staff and a lovely terrace for breakfast, Albergo Bernini really is expensive for what you get. It's perfectly located, and yes, hotels are expensive in Siena, but really there needs to be some improvement (or a reduction in the price). We won't be staying again.

The reception is only staffed during the day, check-out is early, and the rooms are sparsely furnished with none of the useful things you might expect for €100/night - like a hairdryer for example. Or a safe.

The bathroom is tiny, barely room to manoeuvre in, and virtually impossible to have a shower without flooding the whole area. The 'towels' were made of what appeared to be poor quality tablecloth material.

Overall, a real disappointment. Even the breakfast looked disappointing - there's a lovely supermarket/deli up the road though where you can get some delicious pastries etc much cheaper (and still get the view from the terrace!)

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David W

We are really sorry that you have a bad stay in our hotel. We are a little hotel with one star so is not expected 24h opened reception, as it is written on reservation. Check out is in normal time, 10.30/11.00 in the morning, right for cleaning the room for the check in of the day that is going to begin. We ask you if you can specify which useful things need the rooms so we can improve our experience and improve our hotel, we don't have a hairdryer per room, at the moment, but in any case when a guest ask us about it we give it without problems. About the size of the room or of the bathroom, we are a little hotel located in an ancient Palace of 1400 in the historical centre of Siena, we are sorry that you have some problems with the shower, but the space that we have is this. The size of the rooms is not the same for everyone, there are rooms bigger than others. Maybe the one where you stay was too much small for you. We are sorry for the inconvenience. For the breakfast we have all things home made, sweet and salad. We prepared it avery morning but all of the guests can decide if they want to do it or not in the same morning. So if maybe you don't like what you see you don't need to do it, but we take care of everything that we served.
I try to answer to every problem that you explained and I repeat that we are so sorry for you bad stay. We hope that maybe you can change your mind and come again to Albergo Bernini, and give us another chance. Maybe you will have a better stay.
Thank you so much for your message and for your time to write it.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I would give a 3 point rating (average), but for the malfunctioning ceiling fan during the heatwave Lucifer, which lead to a night of no sleep. ... Good location and nice home. Small bathroom, and simple breakfast, but the view from the terrace is stunning. At sunset, and with a rising almost full-moon, it all but took our breath away. Unfortunately the ceiling fan was set on reverse, so pushed hot air down into the room rather than cool as it should. Not usually a big deal, but in the middle of a heatwave with temps in the 40s centigrade, it becomes an issue. Otherwise it would have been a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared bath, some have private bath.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your message! We are sorry for the fan, but we try to remedy as we can. We are really happy that you have a good stay from us.
We hope to see you again in our house!
Thank you again and kind regards.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

I booked this from booking.com so I have posted my review there but some times people look at TA also so I thought to share my feedback here as well. Also because my review (largely the same content as here) got a nasty response from the hotel within a day so I feel like I should make that known to travelers. They do not take kindly to people's opinions - even if said opinions are based on facts that even they couldn't refute.
Anyway here is my review:

It is a one-star place ...not a hotel, not a b&b since they charge 7 euro for breakfast. I trusted other reviews & Rick Steves when I decided to make my reservation. The room we had did not meet expectations based on the rate I paid. I don't want to nit-pick every detail but suffice it to say that one reviewer on TripAdvisor referred to this establishment as a hostel...may have been a typo but the word fits the bill but that's not what one expects for 100 euro /night. Front desk is not staffed unless one rings a bell (and not after 7 pm). In all of the rave reviews the one thing that comes up is the terrace. If that's what anyone is eager to pay for, then this is perfect. But as all of Siena is at one's feet, a partial back view of the dome of the Duomo is not a big deal for me. Rather, the necessities for a hotel room are reasonably comfortable mattress. Clean pillows. Soft towels. Tea/coffee making options (even if it's just in common area). Some noise insulation. Hair dryer... etc. The place is fine as it is, I suppose. It's the rave reviews that led me astray.
---
I'd like to add here that in her long response to me the owner Eugenia posted (among other things) the following admonishment:

"if for you a panoramic view of Siena (maybe one of the best panoramic terraces), S. Caterina, S. Domenico, Duomo,Tower of Piazza del Campo and everything else Siena can offer is not a big deal for you maybe next time you can skip our city and go somewhere else. Maybe you will find something more interesting".

So not only do they not give us the time of day when we are there, they also don't read my written feedback carefully enough before lashing out.

I was told that for the 100 / night and it being high season I got the best deal possible. Right now my screen is showing $82/night right here on TA. Go figure.

Siena was fine otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Eugenia and the rest of the family are very helpful and easy to communicate with. The location is close to where the bus from Florence drops you off. The outdoor terrace has a wonderful view and is a great place to sit. We spent most afternoons and evenings out there since it was too cool to do that in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple