“A slice of history”

Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Melbourne, Australia
“A slice of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

If you're after a (very) comfortable bed in a friendly hotel literally inside the historic for a reasonable price, then you've found it.

Great location tucked quietly away but only a few steps from the main path of Siena. Friendly, knowledgeable hosts. Good, typical breakfast. Sure, it's not 5 star, but everything you need is here.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank AreDeeDub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Our group of twelve had a great one night stay at Cannon d'Oro ans had good service for our stay. Our reservation was made for the following day by mistatke, but they were able to accommodate us for the day we arrived without issue. The rooms were large and contained more than enough beds for for each room. The bathroom was also of good size though shelf space is sparse. The wireless was excellent and free and the best we had in all four of our hotel stays in Italy. Some of the views from the rooms were fantasic and supplied some good pictures. The breakfast is just adequate and the capuccino is instant coffee out of a machine. However, it was fine for our needs and we just ate an early lunch. We didn't have an issue with noise but I can see that there might be more in the busy Summer season. I think if the hotel just put cushioned seals on the doors they could eliminate much of it. The value of the hotel was the best for our group in the four cities we stayed and since we were not in the hotel except to sleep it it was just right for us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
New Westminster, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Quite a lovely property with impressive historical credentials - having been converted to Hotel use from a previous private mansion. The floors are impressively marble and stone throughout while the doors are solid oak. Closing a door in the middle of the night causes echoes of noise to roll down the hall much like a cannon shot and perhaps this is where the name is derived!

Clean hotel, well located and close to transportation but when travelling, the one needed thing and likely all that a hotel should ensure, is quiet repose and slumber. Not at Cannon D'Oro.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard R C
Eagan, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in October as part of a two-week long cycling vacation in Tuscany. We chose Cannon d' Oro based on it's central as we needed to walk to sites and restaurants, etc. We enjoyed Siena tremendously, but this hotel was disappointing. It is in an ideal location as many reviewers have already written, but we found the sparseness of our room and the lack of air-conditioning a problem given the warm temperatures during our stay

If you want an ideal, central location at reasonable rates, this is your hotel provided you don't care about the noise. We could not sleep without a masking white noise. The walls and floors are all hard surfaces, plaster and tile. Nothing to absorb noise. Travelers clomped in and out all night both nights and we could hear every spoken word in adjacent rooms. If fact at precisely 3:40 am, we were awaken by an argument in an adjacent room, followed by obvious cries of orgasm during sex. I don't want to hear that much from a room down the hall.

Personally, I'd pass and walk further. Don't even think about renting a car by the way - there is absolutely no parking anywhere. Just a tip. We rode bikes and took public transportation. It's cheap and easy to get anywhere in Tuscany. You have to park outside the ancient walls of most of these hill towns, so think carefully before renting a car. We feel a car is a burden in this environment.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 26pt2runner

Travellers are raving about these Siena hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This place has a perfect location. It is right off a major shopping street. You can walk to the piazza fe campo in five minutes or the bus stops in two. We found it easily from the train station by taking a public bus. The directions said fifty minutes by bus. It was more like fifteen. The breakfast room was through a maze of hallways; but they had yogurt, cereal, a coffee machine, and typical bread breakfast. All the receptionists that helped us were friendly and gave good advice. The room was a nice size for three. The only fault was the shower. It's situated in the bathroom without a proper wall, just a curtain. We had read this in a review and were willing o put up with it. The last minute price was a nice one for city center. Good overall.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ginkiecat
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed for one night in September and were quite happy with the choice.
The hotel is indeed basic - yet the room was clean and not very noisy.
The breakfast isn't great - but the hotel is right in Sienna with plenty of bars and restaurants around it. So we just went out and had espressos and brioche elsewhere.
Overall: Good place to stay and start exploring Sienna (which btw is an amazingly beautiful city).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked the hotel via expedia for 85€/night - and was shocked when I arrived. The first room I was shown was a tiny gloomy room next to a huge noisy restaurant kitchen air-condition. Impossible to sleep there. When I asked for a calmer room, I was sent to the third floor (no lift) into a room that looked like a prison cell. The only window was placed in the hight of 2,5m in a niche. I felt like the Duke of Montecristo. Unfortunately, there was no WIFI which brought me to room no. 3. Noisy as well but at least with WIFI.

Needless to mention that all of these changes where accompanied by extremely odd discussions. I was told, I didn't know how to use an internet-connection - before another member of the staff admitted that the antenna for the third floor was missing. I was told that the extreme noise is what you find in a city (I live in Barcelona which is several times the size of Siena) The staff made no effort to hide that they where extremely molested by me.

When only an hour after my arrival, I said I would prefer to move to another hotel because obviously, none of the things I paid for - the WIFI connection, a nice, clean room - was offered, all I was said was, that the amount was charged already and that I could go but had to pay.

It was only the top of the list that later I found out, that on the Albergo's website the price of a single room was 40€, the one of a double room single use was 50€. I was shamelessly charged almost double as much - and no, there was no holiday, festival or whatsoever. They just did it because they could. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo