“Just Shy of Great”
Review of Borgo Grondaie

Borgo Grondaie
Ranked #4 of 125 Siena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2007

Borgo Grondaie is a good property that could so easily be much better. We rented a 2-bedroom suite with kitchen. The rooms were a decent size, good bathroom, large kitchen. Heating was somewhat inadequate which would not matter if you go in summer. They have these dopey wooden interior shutters on the windows. The grounds are large and well maintained, lots of grass, flowers, and trees. There is an outdoor pool which was not yet open for the season when we visited. It is not far from the train station but forget about walking, it is roundabout and up a steep hill, just take a taxi. Reception was good, they will tell you where the nearby bus stations are to get into the city. Do NOT drive into the city, take the bus or a taxi. Obtain bus tickets from reception at cost. Make sure you validate them on the bus. There is a supermarket called COOP down the hill, which is great if you plan to do your own meals. The property has a restaurant which is supposedly good but we didn't try it. For 8 Euro pp/pd you can get breakfast, but what's the point in having a kitchen. We prepared our own breakfasts and dinners. They do not provide salt, pepper, vinegar, olive oil, napkins or paper towels, which I think is ridiculous, it's a kitchen after all, every guest will need these. Also they have this stupid policy where you have to haul your own garbage 300 meters down the hill and sort the recyclables and refuse. I'm on holiday, I understand you don't have housekeeping every day but at least give me a central and convenient area to dispose of the garbage. On the plus side they have free washing machines, but inexplicably no dryers, but free clotheslines, but not enough clotheslines. Though close to the train tracks, noise was not really noticeable, but the odor of diesel from idling engines was occasionally annoying when the wind blew it toward us. Traffic noise was actually worse, as the layout of the valley reflected the sound even though the property was not particularly close to the main road.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank FinNYC
There are newer reviews for Borgo Grondaie

Reviewed 23 May 2007

Our stay in Siena was for 3 nights-- with my mom, sister, and myself--I needed SPACE and most of the places to stay that I researched were very small. The apartments at Borgo Grondaie were perfect. I wouldn't say fancy, but true to the countryside-- very clean-- and plenty of room. Our apartment had a full bedroom and a sleeper sofa in a separate living room. The bathroom was the best bathroom we had on our entire 2 week trip! And with three women, that is important! It was was literally walking distance from the train station though best to take a cab with lots of luggage, and walking distance to the supermarket. The hotel sits on a hillside with charming views, private balconies and a really fantastic staff. The hotel manager, Gaia, was extremely helpful. From planning our trip to Montalcino, helping us hire a driver, and treating my mother to champagne on her birthday. We enjoyed the breakfasts which were top notch and the limoncello in the evenings. Not an inclusive hotel but I thought the rates were extremely reasonable and inexpensive. Gaia also spoke very good english, we always had a cappucino waiting in the morning and many pleasant people asking us about our stay. This is Italy not America's Ritz, and if you want to learn about the country and learn about the people of this gentle city, I would recommend staying here. Family owned and operated. I wouldn't consider any other place on a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank travelingcowgirl_FL
Reviewed 17 May 2007

We stayed at the Borgo Grondaie in October 2006. We spent two nights at the hotel and wish we could have stayed longer. On this trip we stayed in Lucca, Siena and Florence and this was our favorite hotel. It was absolutely charming. The hotel is more like a resort with a beautiful pool and olive trees dotting the grounds. Our room was lovely with a view of Siena in the distance from the window. The breakfast was wonderful and could be taken in the outdoor patio, weather permitting. It's a little difficult to find, but the information provided by the hotel was very accurate. Don't let the drive through the Coop parking area put you off. Once you are through it, you don't even know it's there...and it's a great landmark to find your way back. The hotel provided excellent directions to a good place to park outside of Siena, but be warned - get there early as spots fill quickly. They also provided a variety of wonderful dinner recommendations. We loved this hotel and would recommend it. We plan to stay here again next year and use this as a base for exploring the Chianti countryside.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Loots
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We stayed at eight different hotels during our trip in April 07. This was the highlight of our trip. We felt incredibly spoiled! This hotel offers apartment rooms with kitchens and a free community washing machine. They were very gracious. This would be a great hotel for honeymooners. The huge property is beautiful and quiet and the rooms are enormous! Our friend stayed in a different room and her bathroom had a jacuzzi tub! There is big grocery store (COOP) at the end of the driveway and we went shopping and ate several meals in our room. We had rented a car, and they provided great directions and parking information to get into the center of town. There is a restaurant and enoteca (wine bar) on the property, we didn't visit these, but they did give us coffee to take to our room one morning. There is a parking lot and they offer bicycles. They were very helpful in booking us a reservation at spa. I can't say enough good things about this hotel experience!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2007

We were planning to spend 3 days in Siena this april to explore the city and drive around in Chanti area. The hotel is easy to find indeed and we were looking forward to our stay after reading the reviews on this web site. We were very disapointed with what we saw. The hotel overlooks the railroad tracks and high-rise appartment blocks. It's in the distance but still - this is your view. The drive to the hotel goes through a car park of a big supermarket. The room we were shown to was tiny and we were supposed to pay 145 euro per night wihout breakfast! The walled city was definitely 20-30 min walking. You won't want to drive to the walled city as parking is dificult to find and one of you won't be able to enjoy wonderful italian wine. So I won't recommend staying there unless you plan to spend only a day exploring Siena and then just drive around the countryside. We moved to a hotel which is just outside the walls - 5 min walk from the main square.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank marusha
caravella, Manager at Borgo Grondaie, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2007

Reading this review I’m more and more persuaded that my work is a mission: try to make people understand that good reviews doesn’t transform a 3 star hotel in a 5 star hotel.
The person who wrote the comment arrived at our hotel disappointed because we are not located in the centre. As he booked trough a booking online system with many reviews from previous guests it sound to me very strange that he didn’t notice this detail reading the comments. Even stranger if you consider that this online booking system provides map with location of all hotels.
The room that we have reserved for this guests didn’t meet guests’ satisfaction. We showed another one and we also suggested to see an apartment but he refused. After few minutes of discussion with his travel friend they decide to leave. We informed guests about cancellation policy and he threatened us saying that he would have written a bad review if we had charged the first night.
So, dear guest, I thank you for your sincerity but I prefer a bad review than accept your threat ….and just to underline that good manners are always welcome.
P.S.: breakfast is included in the rate of the hotel rooms; it isn't included in the rate of the apartments.

Reviewed 27 March 2007

Just returned home from Tuscany & 3 nights in the Borgo Grondaie. This place is a fantastic base from which to explore Siena and the hilltowns of Tuscany. Excellent location near the train station in Siena (perhaps not walkable with luggage, though). Easy to find after a day of driving around Tuscany (follow the signs toward the train station). Clean, attractive rooms with Tuscan charm. Beautiful courtyard and garden. Excellent breakfast with lots of yummy choices. Easy parking. Internet access. Washing machine available (no dryer though which is mildly challenging in chilly springtime weather). Close to the Coop Supermarket. Good hot shower! Friendly staff. Easy road access to get out and explore the countryside This place was great! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heliers
Reviewed 25 February 2007

I have been meaning to write for some time because I rely so much upon the reviews of theTrip Advisor members and I wanted to be sure to get this in for those planning a summer holiday.
I absuolutely loved the Borgo Grondaie! My family traveled from Venice to Florence and then to Siena in June, 2006. First thing to reiterate is that the Borgo Grondaie is not within Siena's city walls, but rather a short distance away. Our family had a car and that is how we got around from place to place. We parked in a shaded area at the Borgo and that was extremely convenient for us.
Having read previous Trip Advisor reviews, we were able to find our way without too much trouble-- just take your time and it can be quite easy, remember to look for the Coop supermarket,go slowly, and take it from there.
Check -in was a breeze; the front desk staff was friendly, helpful and easy to understand. This provided a sharp contrast to our hotel in Florence (Montebello Splendide) where the front deskstaff (though not the bellman) were uncommonly condescending and unwelcoming.
We booked 2 apartments on Venere.com., as my husband and I were traveling with teenagers and Grandma. I had been a bit concerned about Venere as I hadn't used it before, but needn't have been since it worked perfectly.
Our Apartments were immaculate, spacious, simply and cheerfully decorated, air conditioned and comfortable. We had a bedroom, kitchen, living room, and a new and spacious bathroom. I truly cannot overstate how clean the accomodations were, again in sharp contrast to the Montebello in Florence.
There is a washing machine with soap powder provided and I loved having a quiet moment hanging my laundry on drying racks in such a serene and beautiful setting.
Did I mention that the pool was also clean and lovely? Breakfast was particularly memorable. It was a generous buffet,(meats, cheeses, baked goods... ) replenished often, complete with coffee (fantastic) and tea. We took it outside on the patio each morning and no one rushed my sleepy teenagers even if they lingered too long. I am wistful right now just thinking about it.
We all loved the Borgo Grondaie, I didn't want to leave....

Stayed: June 2006