“Worth every minute and more”
Review of Ecco La Cucina

Ecco La Cucina
Ranked #11 of 26 Food & Drink in Siena
More attraction details
Owner description: The cooking classes are held in a 900 year old stone mill, lunch is under the pergola in the garden.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Worth every minute and more”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We recently spent a day with Gina for a cooking class while we were visiting Siena. I had a wonderful time - Gina provided great information on the history of the area and its food, as well as helpful advice on how to re-create the wonderful dishes we made together when we get back to the US.

The class began around 10am - we learned to cook 4 courses - including dessert - and Gina included wine pairings with each course. Our "classroom" was a kitchen in a 900 year old mill - Gina took the time to explain the history and evolution of this lovely building to us as we began to prepare our food. Everything was explained simply - and as a group, we had a great time preparing the food and enjoying each others' company while dining in the lovely garden at the end of the class.

Gina - thanks for such a great day and such great lessons in Tuscan cooking.

(PS - I had to look pretty hard, but I finally found a market that sells rabbit!!)

Visited June 2014
6 Thank Gigi629
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thanks so much, it was a lot of fun! I'm so glad you were able to find rabbit, I knew it would be available with a little looking. I hope it turns out as good as the roasted rabbit we made! Best wishes, Gina

• Korean first
Princeton, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best day of our Italy vacation”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We joined Gina for a one-day cooking class and had the best time learning from her and meeting new friends. We have tried the recipes again for other friends and each time, they bring back fond memories of that day. I had never made pasta from scratch before, but being a cooking newbie didn't really matter. Gina shared a lot of contextual and historical information about the Tuscan region, which rounded out the experience nicely. I would love to return for a week-long cooking tour at some point. This class was a welcome break from sight-seeing and a highlight of my two years living in Europe. Cheers!

Visited September 2013
8 Thank Alison C
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thanks so much for the lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed the class, best wishes and buon appetito! Gina
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Perfetto!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

When this vacation was no more than imagination, we surfed trip advisor and found Gina. The rest of the trip evolved from there, and it has been amazing. We spent Monday with gina, her sister, Mary, and three other couples learning, chopping, whisking, eating and drinking in 900 year old mill that has become a warm and roomy kitchen and then under an arbor in the garden on a perfect autumn day. We made sformata with roasted pears and shallots, spaghetti (handmade by us on a guitarra) arrabiata, rabbit with clementines and oil cured olives, and fresh apple cake. We did not eat dinner that night. Gina and Mary are both adorable, and we can't wait to see them again. We are grateful for a memorable day and the cookbook, which will inspire many more delicious meals once we get home. Grazie Mille!

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Mwaters821
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thanks M and J for the great review! Mary and I had fun cooking with you both, I hope you enjoyed the wine day tasting Brunello! travel safe and come back and see us again in Tuscany! Gina
St. Louis
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Gina and Ecco La Cucina: The Highlight of our Vacation!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We spent 4 days with Gina last October at Ecco La Cucina, and we have such wonderful memories of our tour. It was the highlight of our vacation (and this was a vacation that included Pompeii and a stay in Positano!). While there were other people who had signed up for the cooking class portion of the tour, it turned out that my husband and I were the only ones who had signed up for the full 4-day tour, and we were worried that it would be awkward with just the three of us on the tour. What if we didn't "click"? I'm not the most socially adept person, and I was worried that the dynamic would suffer with a dork like me as one third of the group, so I was definitely nervous. As it happens, we had nothing to worry about. Gina was the warmest, most gracious host - except she gave us grief for liking "Chopped" :). She took us to wonderful restaurants and wineries, and showed us around San Gimignano and Siena (we had visited both places on a prior trip to Tuscany, but didn't get nearly as much out of it on our own as we did with Gina). Her enthusiasm was contagious. We had two days of tours and two days of cooking class. The classes were so much fun, and I never knew I could make such delicious meals. During the class, we all participated in making a meal, with each of us trying our hand at making pasta, cantucci, and other wonderful foods. Maybe it was the wine, or maybe it was the location, but this was a tour that we will never forget. My only regret is that it took me so long to leave this review and tell everybody how awesome Gina's tour is. Thank you, Gina for being the highlight of our vacation! Eric and I are looking forward to the next time we can catch your tour - possibly Sonoma!

Visited November 2012
10 Thank MO_Girl_STL
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
D! Thanks for such a lovely review! I thoroughly enjoyed the week with you and E.! Remember when I tried to get everyone to sing along to "That's Amore!" at the wine dinner but no one knew the words?! Was thinking of you guys the other day, hope all is well and you think of me when you're in Missouri wine country this fall! God bless!
Marietta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful day in Tuscany!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Three of us participated in the one day cooking class on Sept. 13th. It was definitely time and money well spent. There were 12 of us in the class, all wonderful to get to know. Eleanor taught the class as Gina was on culinary tour in Bologna. Eleanor did a wonderful job....very personable and a wealth of detailed cooking instructions. Also wanted to mention Sira, the cute little lady behind the scenes.....she was wonderful, prepping, cleaning and helping. Everything we made that day was incredible, from the panzanella (Bread Salad), roasted rabbit with veggies, homemade pasta and the plum cake! We received Gina's cook book in the mail last week and cannot wait to try some of the recipes. I would highly recommend a visit here, just a short drive outside of Sienna. Definitely one of the highlights of our vacation!

Visited September 2013