“Charming rooms”

Ranked #73 of 122 Siena B&B and Inns
Hopewell Junction, New York
“Charming rooms”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Excellent location right near all the attractions we cared about.

We had a junior suite to accomodate our family of four. The family room served as the second room with a double bed pull out couch. The rooms were well decorated that made it all feel quite charming.

Everything worked, including the airconditioning. The shower was, however, incredibly small and there was no elevator. They are in the process of installing one. The continental breakfast was average.

The only true negative was with parking. There is none so you need to park in one of the municipal lots and then walk back quite a distance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Note: This hotel is closed until July 16 for renovation - they are getting an elevator. We were one of the last to check out of the hotel before they closed for renovation. The hotel itself is charming, and in a building built in the 1400's. This was perfect for a one night stay in the city; clean and comfortable, the room looked out over the neighboring terraces and towards the Piazza Campo. We were given a good recommendation from the most excellent staff for a medieval dinner in this medieval city (Gallo Nero - very good and within easy walking distance of the hotel). Wifi signal was good from the third floor. Parking is far from the hotel (hourly parking outside the city walls, a 15 minute walk) as the city does not have a large number of garages or visitor parking. The breakfast room was very cute with pastry selections, cereals, and yogurt. The selection itself was fine, nothing memorable or interesting, but satisfying and free.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We read up lots of Tripadvisor reviews and chose this Locanda, and were looking forward to the breakfast. We were not disappointed! Place was clean, and location very central.

Staff: I've read conflicting comments from reviewers regarding pleasantness and helpfulness of staff. We stayed for 3 nights and have experienced both ends of the spectrum. We (son,18; daughter,20 and me) had the junior suite -- 2 bedrooms with a separate bathroom. The 2 single beds were made up as a double bed. I went and asked the maid (Elenor) if we could have the bed separate. I said if she gave me the sheets, then we could do it ourselves. Returned to the room, son and daughter had started to move the two beds apart. Maid was very rude to them. I apologised on my children's behalf and asked if I could help her. She was very rude to me, pointing a finger at the door and said "Signora, fuori!". We managed to put this behind us and not let it spoil our holiday.

Other staff were less surly, some seem indifferent but we found the evening receptionist Vanessa definitely most helpful and pleasant.

AIR CON: If you need air condition like me, you may have problem at the Junior suite. Only the room with the two single beds has air con (and not very powerful, it doesn't go below 18C, so it would take a while to cool the room down when you return to the hotel in the afternoon). The other bedroom (with a double sofa bed) when I stayed doesn't have air condition. At night, I basically sat in a chair under the air con in my children's room till the early hours of the morning when the temperature in my room with windows wide open has cooled down sufficiently. Still, the view from the windows is wonderful -- definitely worth walking up the stairs to the fourth floor!

One other thing: I originally booked for 2 nights, then changed into 3. Got email confirmation from the Locanda. However, when we arrived and were met by a rather surly receptionist. After giving him my name, I was told I had arrived one day early. I explained and said I had an email confirmation but he simply said no. In the end, I had to dig out my email (good job I had it printed) to prove myself. I expected an apology but I didn't get one. So, make sure you have all your documents, just in case!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We were in room 402 and looking out across to the fortress and above a quiet street. Staff were very helpful, especially in restaurant suggestions (can't remember it's name, but it was right then left then left again, just down from the supermarket. Plazza is very near.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2010

My daughter and I stayed for 3 nights. Hotel is charming, we stayed on the top floor with wonderful view overlooking Siena. Staff very helpful and obliging, carried bags for us as no lift. Breakfast excellent, croissants and pastries very tasty. Excellent location. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Seemed like most of the hotel rooms have been going thru renovation, and they were doing the work at 1st floor when we were there. We were lucky to stay in a renovated room. We stayed there 3 nights. The staffs were very helpful and friendly. We had a room at the top floor facing the street, but we almost didn't hear any traffic noise. The room was very spacious in Italian standard, with a sofa also. The room was clean and comfortable. The only drawback is there was no elevator (but the staff helped us
to carry our luggage to the room.) The breakfast was quite good with freshly braked croissants and cereal & lunch meat etc, but no other hot items. The location was good with just a short walking distant to the square. With the price we were paying, this was definitely a great deal. The restaurants recommended by the staff were very good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This is one of the rare occasions that I don't agree with the other reviewers on TripAdvisor. I wouldn't go back to this hotel and I think it was a bit overpriced. The shabby chic look does not work in a hotel where you need transparency of cleanliness. The paintwork was chipped and it did look a bit grubby. When I opened my shower screen a couple of screws and nuts fell down on my head and the door fell off it's railing. I pointed it out to the cleaning lady but nothing was done to fix it over the next few days. The soap holder was also hanging loose and was ineffective.

The room was quite a good size but the wi-fi signal was patchy, although another guest told me you could use it in the breakfast room. It would be nice if the management could admit that the signal is not good and make these suggestions. I'm not sure if I was not using the heating system correctly but the thermostat was showing 30deg and wouldn't go any higher but it didn't feel more than 15deg. I was wearing two jumpers at one stage as the weather in Siena was very cold at the time.

The breakfast was pretty good and the croissants nice and crispy and the bedroom was fairly quiet at night. The location of the hotel was good - not too close to the centre but an easy walk straight into the Piazza with no chance of getting lost in the laneways. The staff were very helpful and friendly and spoke English. However, these pluses don't outweigh the negatives. I think the management need to make a bit more of an effort as there are plenty of other accommodation options available in Siena.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo