“Good place for local fare, very reasonable prices”
Review of L'Osteria

L'Osteria
Ranked #32 of 541 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This a simple, unpretentious restaurant on a quiet street. We enjoyed a very tasty meal. We started with bruschetta with grilled cheese, sliced pears and honey. We had never had bruschetta like this before and it was absolutely delicious! We also ordered the mixed appetizer plate--a popular selection for my family bc it has a little bit for everyone. My son enjoyed the various sliced meats, while my husband went for the chicken liver pâté. I enjoyed the olives, peppers, artichokes and cheese. For entrees, both kids enjoyed homemade pici -- a fat round spaghetti-like long pasta that was quite chewy -- one with garlic sauce, the other with cheese sauce. I loved the taglietelle with truffles, while hubby ordered the veal with rocket (arugula) and cheese. The entire tab for a family of four, including a small carafe of wine, was €71. A bargain for a delicious meal.

2  Thank hbkim62

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The decor is old-fashioned, with photos of 19th century Siena on the wooden walls and old farming and kitchen implements haphazardly hung on them. The table settings and cutlery are very simple, what you'd find in a simple home. There are tables outside on the narrow paved stree but we chose to sit inside, hoping it'd be cooler, however with the door constantly opening and closing the air conditioning is fighting a losing battle.
The menu offers a number of local special dishes involving wild boar, tripe and of course the famous Fiorentina T-bone steak. My son had pici (a kind of rough spaghetti-like local pasta) in a wild boar sauce and he nearly licked the plate clean.
We both had a fillet steak as we were told L'Osteria had a reputation for them and we were right. Although the (rather gruff at first) waiter seemed skeptical about my request for very rare meat, it did come perfectly cooked and the sauces (green pepper for me, tarragon for my son) were perfect.
My husband very much enjoyed his tagliatelle in truffle sauce - again, the waiter had seemed put out that he wanted it as a main course, but it did arrive at the right time with our steaks.
The house wine is very decent and prices are reasonable for what could easily be a toursit trap given its location - while we were there, a group of Japanese girls, a Russian family and two English couples came in - there was only one Italian table yet everyone was welcomed in the same casual but friendly manner.
We wanted to go again for lunch the next day but they're closed on Sundays - another time, as my son really wants to try the tripe!

2  Thank brancusirocks
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Having been going to l'osteria for 15 years I am never disappointed. What I normally eat is somewhat predictable: fried fresh porcini or bruschetta with gorgonzola and sliced truffle followed by wild boar or rabbit I can honestly say that the standard is astonishingly high and the price is very reasonable.The "posh" restaurants do not have a look in; you can't eat expensive table napkins nor does obsequious service make up for indifferent food. It is interesting to note that in the last 2 years at least 2 of the "top" restaurants have closed; not so l'osteria

3  Thank richardmilner
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We visited this tiny Osteria on a day-trip to Siena from our vacation base in Perugia. It had been recommended by friends who enjoyed it on their recent honeymoon. Though it took us a little walking to find it, I'm glad we did. It's a tiny place on a side-street in Siena, with umbrellas outside, and dark-paneled walls inside, hung with B&W pictures of Siena from a century ago.

Downside: Outside seating limited (not much more inside, really--this place is tiny!)

Upside: Good food, excellent house red, perfect level of attention from our server.

Overall, a very pleasant pranzo.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Charming local restaurant with tasty and hearty meal. We really enjoyed the wild boar and the pollo stews. Side dishes tasty too.

2  Thank Rulip