“Central but quiet”
Review of Hotel Umbra

Hotel Umbra
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Assisi
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is a charming hotel in a town which is basically too small for all the people who want to come and see the birthplace of Francis. However, this hotel is right at the center but tugged away just a bit below so you're one minute away from it but right there.
The Umbra is run by a very friendly family and you always feel very welcome. Rooms are small and charming. Breakfast is alright. Good choice for Assisi.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Umbra

Reviewed 4 May 2013

If this hotel had not been in a town overrun with tourists, it would have been unbeatable but it's center location means you are dealing with swarms of people every time you step out the doorway. And there is no parking. You must leave your car outside the city walls and take a series of escalators, followed by several blocks of walking up a steep hill. Driving to the hotel to leave luggage beforehand is not something that should be attempted by the faint of heart. We were unlucky and tried only to have the access blocked off because of a festival so had to lug our luggage up that hill as well. That said, the staff was very apologetic and even gave us a discount on our room. The views from the terraces were amazing but the beds were really uncomfortable. It was an unique experience but not one I think I would repeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel April 2013 and it was a pleasant stay. The hotel's greatest attribute is location and beautiful balcony views of Assisi. It is situated in the heart of Assisi directly in front of the main city plaza. It is family owned and they were very courteous and helpful. The breakfast was ok, but we understood why, since they did not have many folks staying at the hotel at the time we were there. The rooms were nicely decorated although furniture a bit dated and musty, but very clean. The bed was a bit uncomfortable and extremely low. If you are looking for a nice place with clean rooms, great views and a very reasonable price, this hotel is for you.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We had never been to Italy before and the Umbra Hotel was just what we needed. It was tucked away and quiet with an awesome view of the valley below in Assisi. The staff was wonderful and helpful and even helped us with the rental car in Rome. The breakfast buffet got us going in the morning with fresh foods and a warm atmosphere. The hotel restaurant was average and I'd recommend some of the local eateries in Assisi. The town was steeped in history and the people were friendly and open. We even saw a wedding at one of the local churches. Needless to say the cathedrals were amazing and worth the trip.

Room Tip: Get a balcony view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wes s
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I arrived at this hotel one evening in November after having booked in the morning from Siena. I was exhausted, wet and bedraggled after three days of disappointing travel and stays The staff was warm, welcoming and very concerned for my comfort. The room was lovely with old world furniture. The bathroom with its soaking tub was immaculate. The view from my window was lovely and after a very good night of sleep I extended my stay for a night I found the location perfect for exploring Assisi. That day I met the couple who owned the hotel who were as sweet as could be and told me that it was their daughter who had welcomed me the night before. I enjoyed the breakfasts and the lovely dining rooms. I would definitely stay at this hotel on a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 November 2012

No hotel could be better located in Assisi than hotel Umbra, on Piazza del Comune, across the Tempio de Minerva, a short walk to the bus stop and among some of the best restaurants in town. For four days my wife and myself enjoyed a big room with a nice view of Assisi medieval roofs, a very good beakfast and above all the allways friendly and helpful treatment from owners and staff. This is certainly one of the places to stay if you want to enjoy the Assisi atmosphere and San Francesco Basilica remarkable works of art.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The hotel is located just off the main piazza near the TI office.
Breakfast is included - but not what we North Americans are used to - not good, not bad, just different.
Staff were extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with - spoke excellent English.

Room Tip: Have a parking discount arrangement with most of the parking lots in Assisi.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple