“They've got the location; that's about it.”

Trattoria degli Umbri
Ranked #13 of 247 Restaurants in Assisi
Price range: US$22 - US$42
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife, 2 young kids & I dined here. They are receptive/helpful for families, which is nice. Their location is key, being right in the heart of Assisi. You can people watch or just look at the piazza.
The food was OK at best. The caprese was unremarkable, and my veal (recognizing I ordered "medium rare") was almost cold when it was brought out. My wife didn't like her main course, either. For 3 mains plus an appetizer we spent ~€60 which (given the location) was OK, I guess.
I wouldn't eat here again, nor would I recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,518)

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We ate at this restaurant on a hot July afternoon in Assisi, and were really taken aback at its excellence. The food is very straightforward, as is the style in Umbria. Everything was fresh and delicious, and the service was very friendly and professional. The house wine is very good and quite inexpensive. The location on the Piazza del Comune is absolutely perfect. I highly recommend this trattoria—it was one of the very best meals we had on our 10-day trip to Italy!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

There are a lot of restaurants in Assisi and they are no bargain, but you don't mind paying for a wonderful dining experience. I became friendly with Francesco, the owner of La Bottega Dei Sapori in Assisi, the "slow food store" on the Piazza del Comune. He taught me about black truffles, my first experience, and encouraged me to go to this Trattoria, a family owned local establishment. They opened at 7 pm and by about 7.20 it was full and we were fortunate to get a table. The service was excellent, even with a full house. Our meal was perfect. I had the fresh pasta with truffles and my partner had the pasta with vegetables and olives. It was lovely, as I had to try it. The house wine was fine and the view was a lot of fun, watching the crowd around the fountain and walking in the Piazza. Try it. It is great value for the food you will experience.

1  Thank phototripper
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Once again thank you Andrea and Roberta for a lovely lunch. At least once during every visit to Italy we must drive to Assisi for lunch at your lovely restaurant. For those that must have a quick lunch or dinner this may not be the right place. But when you want a buon pranzo or cena, Italian style, this place is a must visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We travelled to Italy in 2011. During that trip we were recommended to the Trattoria degli Umbri for a meal and have never forgotten about it. That trip was 4 days with two dinners and this trip in May was also 4 days in Assisi and two dinners at this restaurant. This is Umbrian food. Hearty soup, fresh and tasty dishes, we recommend it all. Don't go if you are not prepared to wait while your dinner is being cooked! This is not a fast food North American eatery. The food is excellent and it takes time to prepare each plate and meal. The owners have a restaurant because they want to. Yes they have friends and customer that frequent their establishment. Don't be offended when the may take time to talk to their neighbours. These people are Italians, meaning social people, to all if you give them a chance and don't prejudge based on bring values from somewhere else in the world. Enjoy the fine food, enjoy the ambience, enjoy the people. But don't miss it.