“A tranquil hideout”

La Zuppa Inglese B&B
Ranked #45 of 141 Assisi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My friends and I stayed at La Zuppa recently and were truly charmed by this lovely little house on hills outside Assisi. Laura and Alessandro have done it up very tastefully and it feels like a real home. Ideal for those who want to get away to a quiet place and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds. Assisi is a short 10min drive. There is also a little stream that runs below the property.
The rooms are well appointed with lots of fresh light and air and beds are very comfortable. The running water in the bathroom has the smell of sulphur but it did not bother us at all. There is an interesting array of tea bags to choose from if you want a cup of tea in the middle of the day and the breakfast is delightful. I highly recommend this place...specially for a contemplative, quiet holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have stayed in many b&b's and I have to say this has to be one of the best. The location is absolutely idyllic, the house a dream and Laura is a treasure! The room was perfect and spotlessly clean, the location is so peaceful and tranquil and the home cooked breakfasts are truly wonderful. We had an exceptional welcome when we arrived and both Laura and Alessandro are so very kind and helpful we could not have asked for more. You will not want to leave!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Laura and Alessandro are the most welcoming of hosts. The accommodation is comfortable with the feeling of being in a private retreat.The breakfast spread was sensational and prepared for us with care...Laura is an amazing cook ... using fresh herbs and strawberries from their garden... and all locally sourced products.....we stayed three nights and really appreciated the peace and quiet of this beautiful house in the forest.
Our highlight was the beautiful three course dinner that Laura cooked for us.... heavenly flavours!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is probably the best accommodation I have stayed in anywhere in the world. Laura and Alessandro are kind and generous hosts and Laura is an amazing cook. We were treated to 4 course breakfasts both mornings we stayed and as I am coeliac, everything was gluten free - Nutella crepes, Apple cake, bacon and eggs and more. The setting is about 6kms from Assisi and worth every second of the short drive. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was good and there was a little sitting room across the hall that we could use. You won't regret staying here.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sonia S
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I recently stayed here for two nights on our travels through Umbria and Tuscany. What a gem! Laura and Alessandro could not be more charming and welcoming hosts. We were very much treated like family. Laura is a superb cook who let my daughter (a budding chef) help in the kitchen. The breakfasts were excellent and beautifully presented. The home and rooms were charming and tastefully decorated. The price was very reasonable.

Alessandro speaks perfect English and Laura is actively learning. Alessandro and I shared a lovely conversation well into the evening sipping on some of his homemade Nocino (almond liqueur usually served at Christmas). What a treat!

Just a few things one might note; this is located in the hills and woods about 15' outside of Assisi, so ask them about their other property if you prefer to be in the city center. The wifi is a bit spotty in the bedrooms, but we could usually get it to connect with a slight bit of effort. There are 3 bedrooms. My daughter and I stayed in the one with twin beds. I am just over 6 feet tall, and my feet stuck out over the end of the bed. This didn't really bother me and I still slept quite well In what was otherwise a very comfortable bed. However, if you are a little tall, you might want one of the other two bedrooms with a full-size double bed. That all said, I hope to return to Assisi someday, and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at La Zuppa for 4 nights for our honeymoon in August 2013. I cannot recommend this beautiful, calm sanctuary enough. It is everything and more you could wish for in a romantic, relaxing getaway. The house itself is fabulously restored, the rooms are all airy and Umbrian with exposed brick work and original features. Laura and Alessandro are so fantastic, nothing is too much trouble and Laura is such an amazing cook! We didn't feel like going into Assisi one evening and she seemed to effortlessly rustle us up a four course dinner, which was exquisite. Her spaghetti with truffle sauce is a local delicacy and it was so good! The cherry on this jewel of a cake that is La Zuppa was the 'Cascata' (Waterfall) practically at the bottom of the garden, in the forest, which we had to ourselves. We also got to go for a welcome swim and a spot of lunch at La Casa, just up the hillside on Laura's reccomendation. It's her friend's Hotel/Spa who are also lovely and welcoming. I can't wait to go back! Thank you Laura & Alessandro. x

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LaDolceVitaLeeds
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We spent three days here in awful weather recently. On our arrival we were tired cold and wet. Laura prepared a wonderful two course meal as we felt like staying put. As we follow a cruelty free diet ( vegan ) we were concerned that this might be a problem. However the meal was delicious as was every breakfast that followed.
La Zuppa is about ten mins drive to Assisi. It was nice to return to the greenness of the surroundings each day. ( even if it was usually raining ). Thank you both for your smiling faces and your warmth. X

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple