“La Fortezza: Terrific!”
Review of Hotel La Fortezza

Hotel La Fortezza
Ranked #22 of 140 Assisi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Thanks to my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers for recommending this hotel so warmly. We just visited Assisi last week and stayed at La Fortezza for two nights.

I would echo the sentiments of the positive reviews here: Breakfast was really nice, the afternoon coffee hour with free espresso, cappuccino, and pastries was a GREAT surprise.

The steps can be as issue if you're not in at least semi-decent shape-- it's I think 85 steps down to the Piazza or 36 up to the road behind. However, the steps are not terribly steep and the path is, as the photos show, extremely pleasant.

The touring kit that some of the other reviewers mentioned comes with a card that gives 10% off at many restaurants. We used the card at i Monaci and Pallotta with no issues.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Jenny, the hardest working woman in Assisi. She made our stay great and deserves a promotion!

I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in this lovely hotel in November 2011 for 4 nights, and I so enjoyed it, that I went back two weeks later with my son and again the hospitality and service were amazing..The steps to the hotel was not as bad as some said the view from the breakfast room beautiful, location perfect,lovely breakfast. Wifi always avaialble!Thanks to those who do take the time to write comments as it really helped me with my 40 days stay in Italy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Fantastic place- right in the middle of Assisi. Locally made cheese and yogurt with breakfast. Even though we were here over Christmas, the staff took care of us. Lots of stairs inside and out- but that is expected when you are in a mountain village. :-) So our gelato calories didn't stay around for long! Breathtaking views from the breakfast room.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This hotel is located right off the piazza del comune. Easy access to everything. Hotel is quaint and the owner very helpful. They offer a complete audio guide tour book, map and discounts in stores and restaurants. This wasn't mentioned in their explanation of services and it should be, it is a great help to first time visitors. Excellent recommendation for a restaurant nearby "La Palotta". The only negative thing I can say is the beds could be more comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at La Fortezza during my fifth visit to Assisi in October this year (2011). What amazing accommodation this place is combined with the warm welcome offered by the owner, Stefano. You will not find better for your money I am confident of this. The accommodation is so well located right in the heart of Assisi where you'll find well appointed rooms (mine had lovely views to the town and beyond). Breakfast is served on an upper floor that leads out to a balcony with best views again to the town and the countryside below. Be sure to boom ahead and that way you won't be disappointed because you should make this your stop in Assisi. See I was going to keep it all a secret but now I've shared it with you all. Enjoy and thanks to you Stefano and Jenny. Warwick

Room Tip: They may all have a view but I would ask for one as I did.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Some hotels are very difficult do give a correct review. Some aspects with this hotel were just fantastic, but other wasn’t too good. Let’s start with what we did like. We booked a taxi through the hotel, which waited for us when we arrived at the train station. The taxi driver helped us with the luggage, something that is very important when you have to walk up/down the stairs to reach the hotel. When he drove us back to the train station, he only charged us for the last trip, the first trip did the hotel pay!
The cosy street (stairs) up to the hotel was very atmospheric, but what we liked best was to sit on the roof terrace in the morning eating breakfast while viewing Assisi and the Umbrian countryside. The breakfast was OK after Italian standard.
The room was big and we got bus tickets and an audio guide to help us exploring Assisi. But the room and the bathroom needed a refurbishment. We had no problem to stay there, but with this fantastic location, the owner could have made this hotel into a little paradise. But when we consider the price, we were glad we chose this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We have been travelling for over 7 months and would regard the welcome we received when we arrived here as perfect. We arrived in Assisi with no accommodation on what was a busy few days. La Fortezza could only offer us one nights accommodation but they telephoned around and found us another 2 nights at a different hotel - which they walked us to the following morning. Hotel Fortezza- extremely clean, basic room with ceiling fan, excellent breakfast on the rooftop, beautiful view, tea and coffee available all day, loan of book on Assisi and audio guide very much appreciated. Great location. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple