“A pleaceful atomsphere”
Review of Hotel La Fortezza

Hotel La Fortezza
Ranked #21 of 137 Assisi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at La Fortezza during my first visit to Assisi in January 2012. This hotel is located right off the piazza del comune Easy access to everything. Hotel is quaint and the owner Stefano very helpful. They offer a complete audio guide on Assisi and Perugia, a tour book on Assisi, map and discounts card in stores and restaurants. Extremely clean, basic room with ceiling fan.
What an amazing accommodation this place is combined with the warm welcome offered by the owner, Stefano. You will not find better for your money I am confident of this. The accommodation is so well located right in the heart of Assisi where you'll find well appointed rooms. Excellent breakfast served on the rooftop that leads out to a balcony with best views again to the town and the countryside below, beautiful view, tea and coffee available all day.
Be sure to boom ahead and that way you won't be disappointed because you should make this your stop in Assisi. Enjoy and thanks to you Stefano.
Great location and Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Fortezza

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I must say that I'm confounded by the many glowing reviews of "La Fortezza" on this site. I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway in late January and was underwhelmed. The proprietor Stefano is a lovely, mild-mannered fellow who was very accommodating at check-in and check-out. His presence at breakfast to personally make and serve cappuccino to his guests was a lovely touch. And I am fairly certain that, had I had any difficulties during my stay, he would have been quick to troubleshoot. But as things were, I was simply looking for a cozy weekend retreat from the chaos of Rome, and La Fortezza was NOT the sort of 'comfort food' that I look for in a B&B. My room was just the sort of depressing, dingy budget hotel room that killed the mood for me in Assisi. The ugly floors; smudgy walls; ratty bed linens; dilapidated bathroom (with a low-pressue shower head that still managed to flood the room); and poor sound-proofing did not win my affection. On the plus side, the location right above Piazza del Commune is ideal. Overall, La Fortezza is a safe choice--but not an inspired one.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CarolineSmart20
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Thanks to my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers for recommending this hotel so warmly. We just visited Assisi last week and stayed at La Fortezza for two nights.

I would echo the sentiments of the positive reviews here: Breakfast was really nice, the afternoon coffee hour with free espresso, cappuccino, and pastries was a GREAT surprise.

The steps can be as issue if you're not in at least semi-decent shape-- it's I think 85 steps down to the Piazza or 36 up to the road behind. However, the steps are not terribly steep and the path is, as the photos show, extremely pleasant.

The touring kit that some of the other reviewers mentioned comes with a card that gives 10% off at many restaurants. We used the card at i Monaci and Pallotta with no issues.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Jenny, the hardest working woman in Assisi. She made our stay great and deserves a promotion!

I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in this lovely hotel in November 2011 for 4 nights, and I so enjoyed it, that I went back two weeks later with my son and again the hospitality and service were amazing..The steps to the hotel was not as bad as some said the view from the breakfast room beautiful, location perfect,lovely breakfast. Wifi always avaialble!Thanks to those who do take the time to write comments as it really helped me with my 40 days stay in Italy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Fantastic place- right in the middle of Assisi. Locally made cheese and yogurt with breakfast. Even though we were here over Christmas, the staff took care of us. Lots of stairs inside and out- but that is expected when you are in a mountain village. :-) So our gelato calories didn't stay around for long! Breathtaking views from the breakfast room.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This hotel is located right off the piazza del comune. Easy access to everything. Hotel is quaint and the owner very helpful. They offer a complete audio guide tour book, map and discounts in stores and restaurants. This wasn't mentioned in their explanation of services and it should be, it is a great help to first time visitors. Excellent recommendation for a restaurant nearby "La Palotta". The only negative thing I can say is the beds could be more comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at La Fortezza during my fifth visit to Assisi in October this year (2011). What amazing accommodation this place is combined with the warm welcome offered by the owner, Stefano. You will not find better for your money I am confident of this. The accommodation is so well located right in the heart of Assisi where you'll find well appointed rooms (mine had lovely views to the town and beyond). Breakfast is served on an upper floor that leads out to a balcony with best views again to the town and the countryside below. Be sure to boom ahead and that way you won't be disappointed because you should make this your stop in Assisi. See I was going to keep it all a secret but now I've shared it with you all. Enjoy and thanks to you Stefano and Jenny. Warwick

Room Tip: They may all have a view but I would ask for one as I did.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo