“Good enough” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 72 Hotels in Assisi
Covina, California
“Good enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Convenient location near Santa Chiara. Not a five star hotel, but very few are in the old historic parts of small Italian cities. We stayed three nights in the annex accross the street from the hotel lobby and restuarant. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. the food was very good and personnel very friendly. Overall an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for the several days surrounding the Feast of St. Francis. Although the hotel is indeed centrally located, I saw several others on our wanderings that would have been much quieter. The town is so small that, unless you really have difficulty walking, you can get anywhere with ease. The food was terrible, the "amenities" consisted of a miniscule piece of soap, the shower was so small that I (5"1") felt cramped, and the ":pillows" were lumpy and unusable. I ended up using my airplane neck pillow to sleep. We are urban people so the street noise didn't really bother us but I could see it being an issue for others. The food quality was shockingly bad by any standards but especially for an Italian hotel. Overall, the most disappointing hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Travelyn103
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

We spent one night at Hotel Sole. Rooms were clean. The walls were paper thin and we got a lot of noise off of the street.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

We got room 40 for the first four nights we are there absolutly amazing. vualted birck ceiling and so quiet at night it felt like we were the only people in the hotel. we liked assisi so many things that we extended our stay and had to move rooms. a little louder and no vualted ceiling but no price change. the staff makes ever attempt to communicate as well as possible and they usually have at one person working who speaks english expet some mornings.
My only regert was that we only ate at the resturant one time in the evening, the food was hot and absolutly fantastic.
I highly recomend this hotel. I have noidea if it is common practice but when we left they gave us a discount and a few small gifts to take with us.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Hotel Sole is located in the heart of Old Assisi on the main road, just a block from Piazza del Comune. The rooms are clean, spacious, and the hotel staff is reasonable enough. Our room was on the top floor, so it was a bit of a hike after a long day of walking around, but it wasn't unmanageable. Our room had an air-conditioning unit in it, however we could never figure out how to turn it on. But the nights were cool, so we just opened the windows, and were fine.

However, for the joy of being in the middle of this absolutely beautiful, historic town, you can't beat it for the price!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Sole in Assisi in late October while on one of my regular jaunts through Italy. My room was located on the top floor of the annex across the street and had a small window that looked out over the roof and into the beautiful countryside beyond. Bed was comfortable in this small room. As is typical, the floors were tile and the furnishings very simple. The shower was not separated from the rest of the bathroom by a door; the water drained into a drain in the floor. Again, not unusual for Italy and accommodations of this price (e45 a night). This was not an issue for me, but might be for some. Quiet. Breakfast was extra. I opted to purchase some things at the market the night before. The staff is not unfirendly, but not warm, either. They were busy and getting my passport back to me after check-in was not a priority.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jsctraveler
Bordentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Where else does the owner say "welcome home" when you check in? OK, this was my 6th year staying at this wonderful hotel. They always save the room at the top of the stairs for me - tremendous view of Santa Chiara from the bedroom window and San Rufino and the Rocco from the balcony. The staff, the physical comforts, the restaurant could not be inviting. I rate all other places I stay in terms of the peacefulness I experience here - they come close but only close! See you next year!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business