“Great Place, Great People, Great Food!”
Review of Borgo di Carpiano

Borgo di Carpiano
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My fiance and I had a wonderful time at Borgo di Carpiano.
Riccardo e Marilisa are very good hosts and the whole staff is very friendly and professional.
We stayed 3 nights and every night the dinner was a different culinary experience. The food is delicate but full of taste. We felt like we were staying at some friends home.
The rooms are very cute and pleasant and the hotel atmosphere is simple stylish.
The road to get to the hotel is kind of challenging, but with a navigator and following the direction it should be fine.
The nature and scenery are very beautiful.
Look forward to go back again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ItalianinJapan
There are newer reviews for Borgo di Carpiano

Reviewed 5 November 2012

It is difficult to put a finger on something that simply hits the right note in every dept.
Its remote but a little secret as well.
The breakfast is enough. Its not a teaming buffet groaning with indulgence. The food is
good and local or hand made..its honest.
The rooms are bespoke and not for the corporate set. They are all different and have character.
The pool is down the hill a bit. A lovely spot which gets sunshine all day.
Wine is inexpensive or you can push the boat out on the more swanky super tuscan
or Valpolicella.
The staff are characters and are motivated out of pride. This humanity resonates in the offering.
So you could find fault...but it would be difficult.
I'm no expert but my colleague said the food quality was 1* Michelin standard
its very good lets leave it at that.
If you find a better place than this I would like to go to it.
It probably exists but it would take a lot of searching....an awful lot of going to places that aren't quite as good as this.
I rest my case.

Take my advice and stay here.

Room Tip: All have character. but budget options mean some rooms are bigger etc
1  Thank david j
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The place is beautiful and calm (in middle of the hills).
The cooking and the food are exceptional.
Definitely a place to stay to rest and to recharge one's battery.
We enjoyed the other guest company.

1  Thank FrHn
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We had a wonderful time at Borgo di Carpiano, the setting was idyllic and the food ranged from good to absolutely stunning. The owners and staff were all extremely nice people and, as a bonus for me, there were two gorgeous cats – a Siamese called Armstrong and a dark grey/white part-Burmese(?) called Louis.

This is a difficult review to write as we liked Borgo di Carpiano so much, and plan to return, but there were a few negative points. I do want to be fair by describing both good and not so good (there was nothing “bad”) although I don’t want to suggest than the minor negatives in any way spoiled our stay.

I was travelling with a friend. When we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by Elisa who brought us a glass of Prosecco on the terrace and then later showed us to our rooms while Riccardo fetched our luggage from the car. Marilisa, Riccardo’s wife, was tied up with a phone call when we arrived but as soon as she was free she came and greeted us like long lost friends. After unpacking we had tea and cake in the lounge during which Riccardo came and checked with us that what he had in mind for dinner that night was to our liking.

The property comprises a collection of buildings - some are linked, some not – on two sides of a sloping rocky path with steps. The surface of the path is uneven and some of the steps are steep. This path leads down to a delightful terrace where meals can be taken when the weather is right. Round the corner from the dining area is another terrace with sofas, armchairs, coffee tables and large sun shades. At the foot of the first path is another path leading to the pool. This path is made of gravel and quite steep. Anyone unsteady on their feet or who walks with sticks would likely have real difficulty negotiating these paths. A narrow dirt path leads down from the pool level to a gazebo in the woods. This entirely private area is where massages are carried out. The setting is really peaceful. We had a lazy day by the pool on our first day and the first noise we heard was a plane in the late afternoon. There is no traffic noise and little animal noise – no cocks crowing or cows mooing while we were there.

We had two rooms in a small cottage opposite the entrance to the lounge (ex-chapel) in the main building. I had the downstairs room with accompanying terrace. The terrace was delightful, facing east so it got the morning sun. My friend’s room had a fantastic view of sunrise being just a little higher up with a view over the trees. There was a table and four chairs on our terrace plus a comfy sofa where one of the cats came to join me one afternoon. The rooms were simply furnished. My room contained twin beds made up as a double. The bed was too hard for me but then hotel beds often are. There was one drawer for clothes with adequate hanging space in the wardrobe for one person. I think two people might have struggled to find space to unpack fully if staying longer than a couple of nights. There was also a small bedside table with cupboard and drawer plus a mini bar in the corner of the room. Prices were lower than many hotels but, surprisingly, there was no complimentary mineral water.

The bathroom had a very stylish but oddly-shaped suite. Both the toilet and bidet were very long and narrow. The walk-in shower was spacious and contained both a fixed overhead shower and separate hand-held shower (I always prefer the latter). I’d have liked a grab rail as the marble floor was a bit slippery. My basin had no plug. (Not a problem though as I always travel with one.) The toiletries supplied were gorgeous. A nice touch was the addition of a jar of cotton wool balls and a pack containing a cotton make-up remover pad, cotton buds and emery board. I couldn’t see a spare toilet roll anywhere which surprised me as it would have been embarrassing to have to ask for one. I didn’t notice a sewing kit but I dare say if we’d needed one we could have borrowed one. There was a hairdryer in a bag on the hook on the back of the door. There was a box of tissues in the bathroom but not in the bedroom. The water pressure was excellent. The only water problems we had were when the boiler broke down one night and we woke to find there was no hot water for a morning shower. The staff were very apologetic though and it was fixed in time for a hot shower after an afternoon by the pool.

The rooms were equipped with both heating and aircon although we didn’t need either during our stay. The lighting was okay but a reading lamp would have made a useful addition. I had a wireless router in my room. The internet was slow and had a tendency to drop out from time to time but it was adequate for picking up e-mails and checking the weather forecast. I couldn’t access the internet on my iPhone from the terraces or pool area. I didn’t try my laptop other than in my room. The Vodafone Italy signal I got varied between pathetic and non-existent in my room. I did manage to get through to my husband on one occasion but he could only hear one word in ten. So, don’t rely on keeping in touch with the outside world although Borgo di Carpiano is such a relaxing place why not just chill and enjoy the solitude?

Each bathroom contained a radiator-type towel rail. Given that the rooms were doubles and we were each paying the standard B&B rate for a double, I thought it a bit mean to provide only one bath towel in each room. There were no instructions about what to do if you wanted fresh towels and when we both received fresh towels the first morning we assumed they would be replaced every day. I did receive fresh towels twice more but my friend’s towels weren’t replaced again during a five night stay. I’m sure fresh towels would have been provided had we asked but it was slightly frustrating not to know what the system was. My pillowcases were changed once but the rest of our bedding didn’t appear to have been changed at any point during our stay. This wasn’t a problem, just a little surprising for a luxury-class property.

I found no bugs in my room but my friend found a bug on her pillow the first night and between the bed covers on another occasion – not bed-bugs, I hasten to add, but rather something which had flown in from the garden. She also regularly found wasps crawling on the inside of the bathroom window. We mentioned to the owners we thought there might be a wasp nest in the roof space.

Breakfast was served in the dining room between 08:00 and 10:30. (This was in October. I believe it is served on the terrace in the summer). On offer were a selection of freshly made pastries, fresh fruit – the pears were perfectly ripe, tinned peaches and pears, a variety of breads (which could be toasted by guests using the toaster in the dining room), cheese, various types of salami, pear juice and something labeled ACE (this seemed to be a mixture of orange, carrot and possibly grapefruit juice). Eggs were available, cooked to order. Yogurt (possibly home made) was offered every day. Most days it was plain. One day it had been sweetened with vanilla sugar. Coffee was excellent and freshly made for each guest. Latecomers could always find pastries/cakes and the means with which to make a hot drink in the lounge.

Lunch, for those who required it, was served on the terrace. Riccardo asked at breakfast time what we would like for lunch. We had an excellent salad nicoise one day with the best tasting olives I’ve ever had anywhere. Another day we had a beef salad with wonderful cheese.

Dinner was nominally at eight each evening but Riccardo explained the Italian guests are always late so it was seldom much before nine that we moved into the dining room where a lovely log fire was burning. We were very impressed with the food on the first night (Sunday). While we were enjoying a glass of Prosecco in the lounge Riccardo brought us an amuse bouche – a delicious puff-ball concoction made with egg white with a slice of black truffle on top. This was followed by a porcini mushroom salad, the most amazing pasta filled with aubergine and baked, pork cooked in red wine and the most delicious strawberry mousse I’ve ever tasted. After dinner we were served a glass of dessert wine, biscotti and a chocolate truffle with a melt-in-the-mouth texture - much better than anything we tasted in Perugia at the chocolate festival.

Whilst Sunday’s dinner was amazing, Monday’s was stunning. The amuse bouche was two small squares of bread sandwiched with mozzarella and then deep fried. This was yummy. The appetizer was a piece of cod fillet served in, I think, fennel and leek soup. Excellent! The next course was ravioli in a delicious sauce – not quite up there with Sunday’s pasta dish but still very good. We were a little surprised to find the main course was another pork dish but it was very different to Sunday’s and extremely good. The dessert was to die for – a pistachio parfait drizzled with a gorgeous chocolate sauce, not too sweet and served at the perfect temperature (ie not straight-from-the-fridge cold).

Other food highlights included artichoke tempura, zucchini millefeuille and risotto with sausage. Over the course of our stay, there were only two dishes which failed to excite me: tagliatelle with salmon and beef olive stuffed with aubergine. The first lacked depth of flavor and the second had a texture which was not to my taste.

When I remembered we were paying only €25 per person for dinner, I realized what amazing value for money dinner was. (Our rate was part of a special package. I believe the ad hoc rate is €35 but even that would have represented excellent value.) It is clear that both the chef and the owners are dedicated to bringing delight to their guests. My only slight criticism, and I feel a bit awkward in saying it because everything was so good, would be that there was rather more repetition of ingredients over the course of the week than I would have expected. Other reviews have mentioned the great variety of dishes and, whilst it is true all the dishes were different, pork did feature in four out of five dinners, aubergine twice and beef twice. But perhaps I am being unfair. Given that the chef is catering for relatively small numbers of people and that Borgo di Carpiano is remotely located perhaps one should expect that ingredients need to be used up whilst they are fresh and so some repetition is inevitable. When pork was served as the main course three days in a row we did start to wonder if they had taken delivery of a whole pig just before our arrival. I must though compliment the staff in taking note of the personal preferences I had mentioned in e-mail correspondence many months before our visit and for creating delicious alternatives to the spinach dishes for my friend who doesn’t like spinach and for avoiding lentils for me. I’ve never stayed anywhere before where such care was taken to ensure guests’ tastes are taken into account when meals are being planned.

Borgo di Carpiano is remote. Plan on having dinner at the property every evening. It’s not close enough to Gubbio for it to be practical to just pop out to the shops or for a meal and you are unlikely to want to have to drive after dark on the unlit narrow roads. And, of course, if you do drive to a restaurant you can’t sample the delicious local wines – the legal limit is lower than in the UK. In any case, the food is so good at Carpiano why would you want to eat elsewhere?

The property is located some distance from the road – I hesitate to call it a “main” road as once you leave the E45 none of the roads are what city dwellers would think of as main roads. They are just about wide enough for two cars but the edges are often uneven, dropping away to steep slopes in places. Many of the roads have potholes and uneven surfaces. Public road signage is very poor to non-existent although Marilisa and Riccardo have helpfully posted their own signs. The instructions on the Borgo di Carpiano website will lead you to the property without any difficulty if you pay attention to the landmarks but I would strongly recommend arriving in daylight. Be warned, the last few kilometers are a narrow dirt track with significant ruts. If you meet anyone, one of you will likely have to reverse some considerable distance. The track is probably unsuitable for sports cars – ask first before arriving in one. We hired a Fiat Punto which just about coped although I did miss the 4X4 which I drive at home. Whilst I would recommend hiring a small (ie narrow) vehicle, try and get one with a larger engine size than the basic 1000cc so as to better cope with the steep slopes. If rain is likely to feature during your stay you might want to consider a 4X4. We didn’t see any rain while we were there but I imagine during a storm it flows like a river through the ruts in the track.

**********************************************************
If you visit Perugia, park in one of the large car parks by the mini-metro stops and take the mini-metro into the centre. Don’t bother with the chocolate festival though. I had been planning to go to Eurochocolate ever since I first learned of its existence over 15 years ago. I left it too late. Clearly the festival is not what it once was. We saw no evidence of chocolate tasting or judging or any of the competitions which flourished in its early days. It is now merely a commercial venture with dozens of tented stalls lining the streets selling their wares. Many of the vendors were offering free samples and novelty items such as a USB stick in the shape of a chocolate bar. We did have a wonderful cup of hot chocolate at one of the stalls.

Room Tip: I suspect all are good but I'd suggest asking for one with a private terrace.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BlackAmber
Reviewed 15 October 2012

After 4 weeks of travelling through Italy we were needing a recharge when we arrived at Borgo di Carpiano. We are still congratulating ourselves on being clever enough to find it! We were warmly welcomed by Marilisa and Ricardo and their wonderful staff, who obviously love what they do and take pride in every detail. Restoring the buildings would have been a huge undertaking, and the rooms and cottages are very private and have a charming blend of rustic comfort. The food was by far the best we had in Italy, from the home baked cakes and tarts to the sumptuous 4 course nightly feasts prepared with the best fresh ingredients (I spent one very pleasant afternoon in "la cucina" watching dinner preparations). Pre dinner drinks in the stunning chapel with the other guests was another highlight, providing a relaxed and social atmosphere, and you all feel like you are sharing something special.
It is a great base for exploring the Umbrian countryside and towns like Gubbio, Perugia and Asissi, but really is a tranquil destination in itself. We hope to make it back to Borgo di Carpiano one day - it is one of those special experiences you want to share with family and friends.
Robyn and Michael Nielsen
Canberra, Australia

1  Thank Robyn N
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My wife and I were looking for somewhere special to spend my 40th birthday and our good fortune led us to Borgo di Carpiano. It was a truly unique and memorable experience. Hidden away in the Umbrian countryside, Borgo di Carpiano has been lovingly restored and developed by its owners, Riccardo and Marilisa Parisi, who take special care, in a way that I have never seen anywhere else, to get to know personally every one of their guests and to make sure that each stay is special for each guest. The intimate atmosphere of the Borgo and warm welcome of the owners means that, almost uniquely, it is unavoidable to get to know and socialise with the other guests.

The owners have built a strong gastronomic following over many years with the establishments they have built and run around Italy and also in Antigua. Borgo di Carpiano does not disappoint in this respect either. Homemade cakes, yoghurt, pastries and other delights for breakfast, lunch if you require it, tea and cake available all afternoon and the highlight: a four course dinner each evening including all the elements of a classic Italian meal: antipasto, primo, secondo and dolce. Wines are fairly priced and there is also a wide selection of liquors. The dishes change each evening and special dietary requirements are accommodated without fuss.

The rooms themselves have the right combination reflecting the historic character of the Borgo with modern amenities.

There is an infinity pool with views across the Umbrian countryside and massages are available in a standalone room with just the sound of nature and a gentle wind outside.

Definitely worth a visit off the beaten track to such a unique place!

Room Tip: There are only 9 rooms in the Borgo and each has its own unique character.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alistero
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We travelled to Borgo di Carpiano with 14 close family and friends for our youngest daughter Stacey's wedding on 3 September. We were very impressed with the setting, the history and the quality of the renovation. The rooms were exquisitely furnished and spotlesly clean. I cannot find enough superlatives to adequately describe the wedding breakfast. From the table setting to the unbelievable cordon bleu culinery extravaganzas and the wonderful local wines; everything was quite wonderful. The service was impeccable and the staff the kindest and most helpful we've ever come accross through our extensive travels. We were then amazed to find that every meal was as excellent as the wedding breakfast. we stayed for 3 days and the food and service remained excellent. Ricardo and Marilisa, who own and run the Borgo di Carpiano are 2 of the most pleasant warm and welcoming hosts we've ever met. Elisa a young lady who waited on us was also unbelievably efficient and helpful, as were all the staff. Sadly the weather was not kind for the wedding it rained torrentially which was a great shame. Our daughter was also unwell on the day. Ricardo and Marilisa were kindness itself and altered quite a few arrangements to accommodate some glitches in planning. They really did pull out all the stops to make our daughter's wedding day a very special and memorable occasion. My husband and I are planning to return to visit the Borgo di Carpino for a more relaxed and restful stay in the future. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who would like a restful, relaxing break in a luxurious venue.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank esinedharry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gubbio
Castello di Petroia
Borgo Dei Conti Resort
Borgo Dei Conti Resort
#1 of 1 in Boschetto Vecchio
Le Silve di Armenzano di Assisi

Been to Borgo di Carpiano? Share your experiences!