We just returned from a 2 week vacation in Italy and we are still talking about the incredible food and hospitality we received at the Borgo. Though the drive there is a challenge (and breathtaking the whole way) the destination is worth it. Deep in the Umbrian hills, Ricardo and Marilisa have lovingly restored a centuries-old property to a perfect combination of character, history and modern comforts. Each evening begins with drinks and an appertivo in the comfortably restored nave of the old church. We then proceeded to the dining room, where we enjoyed a four course dinner that exceeded anything else we had on our trip. The food was a delight to the eye and palette and you could tell that Ricardo took much pride in literally everything that came out of his kitchen. While the food and dining room were exquisite, the atmosphere was never stuffy, and there were plenty of opportunities to enjoy the company of the other guests. My parents stayed in a cottage room with a private patio that had all the comforts you'd expect. I enjoyed the unique bell tower room, that sits below the old church bells and is an astounding use of space - cozy, creative and the most memorable and fun room I've ever stayed in. Ricardo and Marilisa are the perfect hosts and have hired an incredibly friendly and competent waitstaff, especially Elisa, who served us two of the days we were there. Overall, I would highly recommend staying at the Borgo. Be sure to plan to have at least 3 nights there, as it's quite a trek to get there. And it's worth taking at least one day to totally unwind, and enjoy the simple pleasures of the house, the owners, the staff and the grounds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ancient castle of Carpiano is among the hidden treasures of beautiful Umbria. This small hamlet is located at only 12 Km from the medieval town of Gubbio and 22 km from Perugia. In this pleasant place simplicity, elegance and warmth of genuine hospitality are ideally combined. The Borgo is surrounded by secular olive trees and lush woods in a pristine valley crossed by the Ventia stream. The three stone buildings that comprise it are perched on a spur of rock that ends with an infinity pool of salt water overlooking the valley. In the main building, the old church has been restored keeping the original frescoes and has been now converted into library and conversation room hosting classical music concerts and events. During the winter months meals are served in the large dining room in front of the warmth of the old fireplace while in the summer are served in the small square with breathtaking view over the valley.Home made bread, cakes and biscuits, vegetables from the vegetable garden and a search of quality ingredients, all strictly "seasoned with our own olive oil" ....The Borgo has only eight rooms all renovated respecting the original architecture and materials of the time. Get lost in the woods, plan to do very little, get accustomed to the silence are recommended activities!Borgo di Carpiano is also an ideal setting for an exclusive place to celebrate with your friends a special occasion. In house wine, cheese and olive oil tasting, cooking classes, therapeutic treatments and relaxing massages can be arranged. Horse riding, golf, rafting can be found in the nearby surroundings. The Borgo is in a strategic position to visit all the major Umbrian towns. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Borgo di Carpiano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Borgo Di Carpiano Hotel Gubbio
- Borgo Di Carpiano Gubbio, Italy - Umbria