“One of the better places to eat in Gubbio”

Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca
Reserve with
Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 112 Restaurants in Gubbio
Price range: US$22 - US$41
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca, in the heart of the ancient city of Gubbio, offers a setting perfectly in line with the external environment: typically medieval, with a variety of dishes for all tastes very well presented, where his majesty the truffle is the undisputed master.
Italia
“One of the better places to eat in Gubbio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We enjoyed a good fish menu - antipasti and secondo - friends tried the pasta as well ...
The atmosphere, service and overall experience was very nice. It is a little dated in the decor and a bit too formal for many...but all in all we enjoyed the meal and the food was tasty and nicely presented. Wines are quite expensive for Italy and the menu is a touch overpriced at €12 per course...but would and have returned since. Could be better if they could move with the times a bit more and lighten up the atmosphere and formality. For me though, the important bit - the food, they got right!

• Visited June 2013

• Polish first
Milan, Italy
“Super good lunch, and great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Recipes are from the tradition, but with a bit of sophistication making them just awesome.
Pasta is high-end, modeled with gold-plated equipment; pumpkin ravioli were definitely to die for, the best of my life.

Definitely recommended to those who whish to try some local recipes with a good service and presentation and in a refined environment.

A plus: prices are very reasonable when compared to the quality of ingredients, preparation and service: my wife and I shared one dish of ravioli (aboundant although shared), each of us had a main course. The bill, including cofee and water, was around 50 euro for the couple, and amount you would normally pay at a lower level trattoria

• Visited August 2013
NYCARCH01
“Excellent Umbrian Cuisine in an Elegant Dining Room Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

On each of two prior visits to Gubbio, I had dined at Porta Tessenaca. That I went back not just once, but twice on this three day visit is recommendation in itself. For a start, the dining room is stylishly elegant in an historical, vaulted room and the tables are not crowded close together, so privacy is assured. But the food is the main reason for going.

On this trip I ate lunch there with a friend, and returned two nights later for dinner by myself. Both meals started with a complimentary serving of a creamed carrot soup containing nuggets of deep-fried pecorino cheese, served alongside a small cube of spinach and prosciutto flavored quiche spiced with Rosemary. The tiny portions were intensively flavored and set the pace for both meals.

At lunch I started with a salad of raddichio and basil mixed with slices of pear and shaved pecorino and some chopped walnuts, all drizzled with a honey-flavored dressing. So good was this salad that I ordered the same starter two nights later at dinner. For the lunch meal I followed with a dish of chopped nuggets of rabbit served in a pecorino and cream sauce. For the evening meal two days later, I followed the salad with a wild boar served in a reduction of Sagrantino wine sauce, together with a side dish of roasted potatoes served with a drizzle of olive oil and Rosemary. The boar was succulent and very memorable.

In both instances, I had Colpetrone Rosso Montefalco 2005 which is available by the glass.

Even in Umbria, where a high standard of cuisine is the norm, Porta Tessenaca stands out as an especially fine dining experience. I will certainly return to this excellent restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

A fantastic meal in a charming setting. The location is convenient but a little obscure. There is a terrace but it was a little cool the September evening we visited so we ate inside in a tasteful and elegantly decorated stone vaulted dinning room. There were several fixed price menus available and we chose the regional tasting menu at 35 euros per person. While not cheap the quality of the food was exceptional and we considered the meal a very good value. There was an amuse bouche of carrot soup. The center piece on the table was an arrangement of the thinnest bread sticks we've seen: about the size of fedelini. The first course was a porcini sformatino, followed by tagliolini con tartufo, then tagliata di vitello on grilled radicchio with a delicious desert to finish. We were able to make a selection of a moderately priced sagrantino from an extensive Umbrian wine list. Service was impeccable. Altogether a memorable dinning experience.

• Visited September 2012
Barrington, NH
“Can't rave enough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Our group of five stumbled upon this restaurant while walking the streets of Gubbio. From start to finish it was a fabulous experience. The waiter was a sweet young man, extremely helpful in wine and food selection. I had the salad with pear, pecorino, almonds and honey (fabulous) and the Pumpkin tortelloni with broccoli and roasted almonds in a light but creamy sauce (to die for). This is NOT the pumpkin ravioli we get at home. It actually tasted like fresh pumpkin. I'm sure I'll try to replicate this dish in my own kitchen for years to come and never come close. My companions raved about their meals as well. Wine selection was very good. We stuck to local whites and the rosato. Desserts were incredible. I had no room left but couldn't pass up the lemon sorbet (made in house). We ate outside and had the impression it was a small and nicely appointed restaurant. When we ventured inside after the meal, we were surprised at how large and elegant a restaurant it is. If you are going to Gubbio (and you should, especially if looking for pottery) then this is an ideal place for lunch.

• Visited August 2012