From the moment we stepped in through the castle doors, I knew this was going to be an unforgettable experience. It was the best stay throughout our whole adventure across Europe.
We stayed 2 nights in early December in their classic room which was very clean and comfortable. It was in the main building where the reception and dining rooms were, so definitely very convenient. I love that the room had kept most of its rustic charm and yet it comes with every modern amenity that one would need today. On arrival, we had iced grapes and hot chocolate, much like a fondue as a welcome gift…perfect for the cold weather.
The views from the castle were simply breathtaking. The colours of the valleys meeting the mountains with the mountain peaks touching the sky…just heavenly. Take time to explore the grounds in and around the castle…it is well worth the slight trek.
The owners and staff were so warm and helpful throughout our stay. They were ready to give us tips on towns to visit, directions to/from the hotel.
Last but not least, i must mention that the food was amazing…definitely one of our best meals throughout our trip. We had dinner in the castle on both nights and had tried both the degustation and ala carte menus and they were both just as good. It's what you would likely get or even better than any world class restaurants. Service was impeccable and the ambience was perfect with the fire place and old world charm.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone travelling up to Perugia and would love to return here again in a different season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Midway through the ancient road that links Gubbio to Perugia, stands on the horizon the severe and majestic Petroia Castle. A path through woods and meadows leads to a huge gate, beyond which Petroia opens in all its beauty.The origins of the Castle of Petroia are to be found between the IX and X century, on the 7th June 1422 was born in Petroia Federico da Montefeltro, the most famous Duke of Urbino. The Castle of Petroia is composed of medieval buildings enclosed within the Castle's walls. The three buildings that make up the Castle welcome guests in spacious rooms: The ancient and authentic rooms are carefully furnished to create an elegant setting and a welcoming atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Castello di Petroia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Petroia Gubbio, Italy - Umbria
- Castello Di Petroia Hotel Gubbio