“Oh, wow!”
Review of Locanda del Gallo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gubbio
Locanda del Gallo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Oh, wow!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My daughter and I spent 2 nights in this amazing spot and wish we could have had more. We echo the comments of other reviewers about Paola and Irish's wonderful hospitality and Jimmy's excellent cuisine. Loved the walking paths around the area, side trip to Gubbio, amazing infinity pool and many other spa amenities. I hope to go back! The price is a bit higher than what I'd usually pay for a hotel stay, but well worth it. If you are considering a retreat or spa vacation in the hills of Umbria, look no further!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
guelph
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed in this lovely peaceful retreat in May 2013 for 6 days. Situated high in Umbria hills, spectacular views, & close enough for easy visits to Assisi, Perugia, Gubbio, Orvieto.
Property spotless & very comfortable + beautiful gardens. Room #2 with private patio suited us perfectly.
Owners Paola & Irish perfect hosts, nothing too much trouble & plenty of ideas for visiting local sreas. 4 course delicious dinners thanks to chef Jimmy, & great service by Giorgio.
"Honesty " bar for drinks, coffee etc very handy & very good idea.
Recommend Locando del Gallo highly - we will definitely make a return visit a.s.a.p

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dagenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I visited the Locanda on a yoga retreat. I had browsed the venue's website before travelling so had some idea of what to expect but nothing could really prepare me for the utter, utter beauty of this house and its surroundings. Seriously: this place is so stunning that you almost become immune to the gorgeous vistas, incredible (and I mean incredible) food and fabulous accommodation.

For the staff here nothing is too much trouble - they actively go out of their way to make sure that every detail of your stay is perfect. Chef Jimmy is a complete legend and I have many happy memories of eating his delicious food on the terrace under the stars, watching fireflies dance around in the lavender-filled garden.

This is one place that I would happily visit again and again. If you ever get the chance: GO!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LoobylouStaffs
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I was in two minds about writing a review of Locanda del Gallo. We enjoyed our time here so much, that we would like to keep it a secret and not encourage too many other people to stay here also just so that we can have it all to ourselves :-)
We stayed here for five nights in June 2013. Our goal was to find a place to relax after a busy week's site-seeing in the hot and bustling towns of Northern Italy. This place is little more expensive than we had budgeted for, but we do have "particular" requirements and after reading the reviews on Trip-Advisor and checking the Locanda's web-site, this place seemed to be just what we were looking for. We were not disappointed!
A beautiful Italian country house like the ones I admire in magazines and coffee table books but never thought I would get the opportunity to stay in. Large grounds and well tended gardens with panoramic views over the green hills of Umbria. From morning to evening a peaceful atmosphere - not a car in sight or earshot. The pool, spa and steam rooms are heavenly. Everything and I really mean everything is in tip top order, squeaky clean yet tastefully decorated and furnished.
Our hosts, the ever very friendly Paula and Irish tended to all our needs and wishes, whilst respecting our privacy. Jimmy, the master of the kitchen, not only accommodated my quirky vegetarian habits but produced tasty and unusual dishes day after day, while Georgio looked after us in a highly professional, friendly and open manner. Oh yes, I almost forgot the dog!
Unfortunately not every guest staying here seemed to be looking for the same type of relaxing holiday as we did, but this was no fault of our hosts and they did only stay one day. Another day, the sound of chain saws and trimmers from the surrounding countryside did spoil the peace somewhat, but we experienced this in other places in Umbria also, unavoidable in Spring it seems.
All in all, we had a wonderful time here and dream of returning. If you are looking for peace and relaxation in a great location, this is the place.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a very good road map of the area beforehand. We had some trouble finding the Loca...

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Paola and Irish offered us a warm welcome to their beautiful country house, which is a delightful place to stay. Set in it's own peaceful and well maintained grounds with panoramic views of the mountains, Locanda del Gallo is an ideal base for exploring surrounding places of interest.
We were not well prepared for this trip, but were given all the information needed, even where to stay when we left. They seemed to have time for their guests although they took part in the work in the garden, restaurant and kitchen.
Regarding meals, we soon felt as regular customers at a good restaurant. We also appreciated having the possibility to stay for lunch.
We stayed four nights (had reserved only three but were lucky to prolong it with one) and would very much like to come back, and will not hesitate to recommend this small hotel to friends and family.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have never been 'returners' - always preferring to find new places to try - BUT we broke the rule this time and returned here following our wonderful stay at La Locanda del Gallo last summer. Everything about the place is peaceful, yet luxurious. I swam every morning as the infinity pool is so serene and the views are beautiful. Paola and Irish are exceptional hosts - attentive - yet not intrusive. There are hardly any rules at La Locanda. The meals are delicious - Jimmy is a superb cook and Jorge a great assistant. Each time we have booked a massage and have not been disappointed. I would like to try the Yoga there one day. We became accustomed to seeing the feral cats and kittens up the road, and even saw a tame peacock just around the corner! This time, we also visited Renza - the very talented weaver who has a workshop (and B&B) a short walk away. She weaves beauitful cashmere and silk shawls and scarves - each unique. Gubbio is a fascinating city and only a short drive away, and we also loved Bevagna, Montefalco, Montone, Perugia, and Deruta (for ceramics). We also visited Perugia and Spello - a steep hill town where we stayed one evening to eat at Il Pinturicchio - a lovely family ristorante at a good price. We are already planning our next visit!!

Room Tip: We booked early this year and chose Room 2 which is a little 'cottage' set apart from the ma...
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I have been to the Locanda many times since 2001 - a few times as part of a yoga retreat and then a several times on my own or with a friend - and each visit was spectacular.
I recently returned with my husband and 2 children (ages 4 and 6) and though my vacation needs are very different with a family, it more than lived up to my incredible memories of the place!

Owners Paola and Irish have created a haven of peace and respite - whether you are looking to visit the region with its beautiful surrounding towns - Gubbio, Perugia, Spoleto, Assissi (to name only a few) - or to just kick back with a book, go on hikes, or relax in the jacuzzi/ swimming pool area - this place will resource and revitalize even the weariest.

The Locanda itself is beautifully restored and tastefully decorated with a mix of Indonesian furniture; the gardens and grounds are impeccable, but still unpretentious and inviting ;
the infinity pool has one of the most breathtaking views of the Umbrian hills, and a new well-ness center has a hammam and offers massages.
And last but certainly not least, Maestro Jimmy's extraordinary cuisine is more than the proverbial icing on the cake: Every dish is exquisite and delicious , made with fresh and local organic fare that changes daily. My children are finicky eaters and I am a vegetarian - yet Jimmy made sure that while my French husband was delighting in his meat-based dishes, I always had a tofu, seitan or a protein-equivalent in a delectable curry or vegetable sauce. Home baked breads, creative and aesthetic appetizers and entrées, and a wonderful selection of wines are all served with brio by Giorgio.

Many thanks to sweet 'Giacchen' the dog, who played with my children for hours as we reclined in the garden patio area.

I cannot recommend this place more highly: whether traveling alone, with a friend, as a couple, or as a family - whether used as a base to visit local towns or to stay put the entire time - the Locanda del Gallo is an oasis of tranquility and a feast for the senses.
GRAZIE MILLE PAOLA e IRISH!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gubbio
Castello di Petroia
Nun Assisi Relais & Spa Museum
Relais Dell'Olmo
Relais Dell'Olmo
#2 of 66 in Perugia

Been to Locanda del Gallo? Share your experiences!