“Best restaurant for sure!!!”

Locanda del Cantiniere
Ranked #1 of 117 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Cork City
“Best restaurant for sure!!!”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We arrived late in that restaurant but were offered to select our table anywhere. Two glasses of Prosecco were offered by the house. The food was delicious with local and homemade food (all different kinds of bread...) the staff (the owners essentially) were very attentive and dedicated.
At the end of the dinner, we asked if we could take our coffee outside on the terraced they opened the door straight away to let us enjoy that fresh evening outside.
When we went to pay, we were again offered two homemade digestives of our choice: try the chocolate one, although it sounds weird, you will not be disappointed !!!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Claire E

NYCARCH01
“Very Memorable Umbrian Cuisine”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I visited the Locanda del Cantiniere at the recommendation of a friend (and budding gourmand), who lives in Umbria. As the name 'Locanda' suggests, the setting is a simple, rustic interior. There are some additional tables outside. Although the atmosphere is casual, the food is of a much higher standard than one might expect from the exterior.

I ordered the four-course Menu Degustazione which started with a mixed platter of local cheeses and meats. Some of the usual suspects (prosciutto, copacallo, etc.) were included, but also other items I was tasting for the first time. The best of the cheeses was a melted one wrapped in a bacon/lard slice and drizzled with honey. So filling was this starter, and the plate of tasty local breads, that I wondered how I would get through the next courses. (And ... I'd already had a hefty lunch at Porta Tessenaca, also reviewed here on TripAdvisor ....)

The Primi was a tagliatelli served with porcini mushrooms in a cream sauce. As good as it was, I only ate half of it, wanting to leave some room for the main course to follow.

The Secondi comprised succulent slivers of beef served quite rare and drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Rosemary.

Feeling full, I opted to forgo the desert course in favor of a home-made Limoncello digestif and a cafe espresso.

Regrettably, I think I was already too full to properly honor the possibilities this meal offered. The service was discrete but always warm and attentive. But I was sufficiently intrigued that I definately intend to go back to this restaurant the next time I visit Gubbio.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank NYCARCH01
Palm Coast, Florida
“You had me at the bread basket... Loved lunch so much, we came back for dinner...”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is a lovely restaurant. We noticed it on Trip Advisor and visited it for lunch. We liked it so much my wife begged me to make dinner reservations, which I did. This is everything you would wish for in a small local trattoria: nice decor, everything made by hand, imaginative dishes, friendly service, caring people... (No, I'm not their mother... But, it really was that good.)

I mentioned the bread basket. Before we were served, they delivered a plate with roughly 5 different breads, all hand-made. There was a flatbread, a walnut biscuit, a cocoa roll (not sweet, just aromatic), poppy breadsticks and one more. All were beyond delicious. This is the first time, in a restaurant, I strongly considered asking for a doggy bag for the bread.

But on to the main courses. The menu is relatively limited. For lunch, we had the local pasta with truffles and porcini mushrooms. YUM! Washed down with some of the local Umbrian red wine (Double YUM). We tried to leave, but they served up two "on the house" homemade liqueurs, one a chocolate and one a cherry. Clearly, again, homemade.

So, back we came for dinner and we weren't disappointed. We started with the local appetizer plate. Multiple varieties of local hams, salami's, etc. Also, a baked local cheese. (Triple YUM). My wife had the steak, which was very good, not great (still, it was VERY good). I had pork medallions, served on top of a custard (yes, a custard). Outstanding! We were so stuffed, we couldn't eat the bread basket, this time.

But, that wasn't all. We tried to leave and they literally forced a dessert on us (It was delectable, so not much forcing was required.) and then served up three home made liqueurs (the ones from lunch plus a lemoncello). It was a really wonderful evening and, if we didn't have to leave Gubbio, I think we would have been looking for a way to have breakfast there.

I apologize for the length of this review, but that's my way of saying that this was a really great local restaurant run by very nice people who deserve to "make it". They made that day in Gubbio a very special one for us.

• Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
“Very rude service”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Two of my family members decided to stop in this restaurant for lunch while the rest of us did some sightseeing. After an hour or so, the three of us who had been sightseeing went back to the restaurant to wait for the other two to finish their lunch. There were NO other customers in the restaurant so we sat down at the adjoining table to wait for the two family members to finish their lunch. After about 5 minutes, a male waiter (or owner, I have no idea) came into the room and started yelling at us about dirtying the table and using the silverware at the tables which was simply untrue (we were just sitting there, not touching anything). He rudely started clearing away all of the tablecloths, napkins and silverware - all of which were still in their place because we had not touched them - and yelling at us. When we explained that we hadn't touched anything, he kept yelling at us. Obviously, we left. My sister insists that the female waitress had been very polite and friendly and so it is unfortunate that her male colleague was so rude. He could have handled the situation so much more professionally. I'm sure there are plenty of great restaurants in Gubbio who treat their customer with much more respect. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Locanda del Cantiniere.

• Visited July 2012
10 Thank Reneed586
Brussels
“Excellent food near the Cable transport”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Located next to the Cable transport way: Gubbio Centre -> SanUbaldo church on hill
Excellent food
Large choice of menu and extensive wine list, many from the region.
Would be the perfect place if the staff would be a little bit more friendly
Take care of starters because of large volumes (I would recommend buying one starter by two people)

• Visited July 2012