“Good but overrated!”

Locanda del Cantiniere
Ranked #1 of 127 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We have been there trying different dishes with tartufo and tagliata but the value for money is not there. My recommendation is just the tagliata expensive but very good

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The ambiance was excellent, the service was excellent, the food was very good and beautifully presented...I had tartare of beef followed by strangozzi...both very good...I would recommend this place highly.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

This restaurant is nothing special...and overpriced compared to other restaurants in the area.
The antipasti we're fine, but nothing out of the ordinary - just meats and cheeses. The risotto was average not to be repeated. The tagliatelle of steak was overcooked and tough - very disappointing. Sure the atmosphere is elegant and the plates and tableware very nice - but who cares about all this...it is the food that is most important and the food was disappointing. Can't understand why so many people think this is a great place - can only think that they are catering to the tourist market - more style over substance -

1  Thank Tinkerbellina
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We arrived late in that restaurant but were offered to select our table anywhere. Two glasses of Prosecco were offered by the house. The food was delicious with local and homemade food (all different kinds of bread...) the staff (the owners essentially) were very attentive and dedicated.
At the end of the dinner, we asked if we could take our coffee outside on the terraced they opened the door straight away to let us enjoy that fresh evening outside.
When we went to pay, we were again offered two homemade digestives of our choice: try the chocolate one, although it sounds weird, you will not be disappointed !!!

1  Thank Claire E
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I visited the Locanda del Cantiniere at the recommendation of a friend (and budding gourmand), who lives in Umbria. As the name 'Locanda' suggests, the setting is a simple, rustic interior. There are some additional tables outside. Although the atmosphere is casual, the food is of a much higher standard than one might expect from the exterior.

I ordered the four-course Menu Degustazione which started with a mixed platter of local cheeses and meats. Some of the usual suspects (prosciutto, copacallo, etc.) were included, but also other items I was tasting for the first time. The best of the cheeses was a melted one wrapped in a bacon/lard slice and drizzled with honey. So filling was this starter, and the plate of tasty local breads, that I wondered how I would get through the next courses. (And ... I'd already had a hefty lunch at Porta Tessenaca, also reviewed here on TripAdvisor ....)

The Primi was a tagliatelli served with porcini mushrooms in a cream sauce. As good as it was, I only ate half of it, wanting to leave some room for the main course to follow.

The Secondi comprised succulent slivers of beef served quite rare and drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Rosemary.

Feeling full, I opted to forgo the desert course in favor of a home-made Limoncello digestif and a cafe espresso.

Regrettably, I think I was already too full to properly honor the possibilities this meal offered. The service was discrete but always warm and attentive. But I was sufficiently intrigued that I definately intend to go back to this restaurant the next time I visit Gubbio.

2  Thank NYCARCH01