“Clean, Central, Safe”
Review of Ostello di Perugia

Ostello di Perugia
Ranked #44 of 111 Speciality Lodging in Perugia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

A really nice experience. We actually ended up staying longer than planned. The hostel is in the middle of the city center, but cheaper than the other hostels that are really far outside the city. We were surprised because of how big and clean it was. They have free wifi and a huge kitchen so we actually saved a lot of money having dinners there. It's not a party hostel, for sure. However, most of the guests seemed to be hanging out together on the terrace, or all eating dinner together before going out later. So, I would say that it has a very chill and communal vibe. We will definitely come back here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MarshalPearl

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This hostel is a complete joke. A week before we arrived, I got an email saying we couldn't come on our reserved day because they were booked out, even though I had a booking confirmation. I barely got that figured out with the girl on the phone, who barely spoke English. They don't let you in between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. for cleaning, which is super inconvenient, especially if you are arriving in Perugia around those times. When we checked in, thy first tried to pull the same crap that they had a week before, saying we couldn't get a room, but we showed them our reservation and they eventually backed down. They then tried to tell us we had reserved a public room, which we hadn't. We had booked a private room and were willing to pay the full price of the room. At this point, the psychotic Italian landlord (who is very old) started screaming at the girl checking us in in Italian, gesticulating at us in front of all of the guests. She tried refusing us the room, even though we were willing to pay for it in full. Eventually our saving grace, an American man named Daniel, got her to understand what was going on, and she stopped yelling, but continued to glare at us. We were finally given the room we had reserved, which was fine, but un-airconditioned in the July heat. This place needs a serious change of attitude if it expects to keep running. The attitude of the owner was unacceptable, and ruined our one day in Perugia. Side note: do NOT go to Perugia during the jazz festival! It is incredibly loud and crowded, and all of the hotels were booked out, which is hat led to us staying at the hostel in the first place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you expect a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank brownkatherine23
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I've been to perugia with two of my friends in july and we fell in love with this hostel!
We were welcomed nicely by the staff (the people there are so warmhearted and super friendly!!), and were overwhelmed by the view you have from there. the hostel has it's own terrace on the rooftop and you can see the complete landscape from there.
The house is an old palazzo and really pretty!

the ktichen facilities are good, but the bathrooms are not so clean and very dark.
the rooms are very simple, but the view is so amazing, you won't even notce that!

besides, the price performance ratio is great!
i would recommend this hostel to anyone, really!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hostel is in a very good location just near the center of the city but not hiding in somewhere you could not find. It will be easy for you to get there if you follow the direction they told you. Room is clean and comfortable, and has a very nice view from the window. Good wifi connection in the common room. Very big kitchen and cheap vending machine.
Perugia is the most beautiful city I've ever been in Italy! It worth you to escape the crowds and stay here for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Girls rooms can get very good view. Not sure about boys'.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hostel was a wonderful addition to our experience of Italy. The service was good, location and property could not be better. As English speakers, we appreciated the presence of staff who spoke English and that we were put in a room with other English speakers our age (student). Also great with no curfew

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I've never actually stayed in a hostel, so this being my first experience I can safely say I was impressed! I shared a room with two bunk beds, which sleeps four. The room was a decent size with a desk and chair and cupboard space to hang clothes and four sections for each resident to keep their belongings. The shared bathroom per floor had two toilets and up to 6 individual showers with fold-able doors. The people on reception are friendly and speak English, which is a plus. There is a wi-fi room with a beautiful view of the town, where you can sit and use your laptop. The kitchen is large with a vending machine (cheaper than outside) and utensils for you to use, should you choose to buy food and cook. There is also behind closed doors a beautiful large library with lots of Italian books and space to work. I was very impressed with the hostel, it was basic but very livable for my stay of 7 days. Only real tip: Rooms can get cold at night, so you may need an extra blanket, hoodie or sleeping socks, depending on the weather!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Cannot sing the praises of this Hostel enough. Perfect location- right off the Duomo square. Amazing, breathtaking panoramic views from my room and from the balcony in the Library downstairs. Quiet building, quiet surroundings (no bar or traffic noise!). The room I was given was huge, and had a table and chairs in the middle- quite a luxury compared to other, cramped and claustrophobic dorm rooms in the average youth hostel. The bathrooms are so immaculately clean. Yes, the hostel closes between 11 and 15.30, for cleaning. Sure, it shows! I also received the cleanest, crispest, most professionally-ironed sheets for my bedding ever.
And at a bargain price, compared to the fees in Florence or in other Italian hostels. 16 euros is nothing- I had to shell out 30 euros for a dirty room in Florence after staying at this place, and it hurt me to pay almost double for less quality, in a noisy location.
When you get to Via Bontempi 13, you will see the doorway with a sign that also identifies the Ostello as 'Centro Internazionale di Accoglienza per la Gioventu.' It is the same place.
It is true that the staff are not native or even fluent English speakers. So what? You are in Italy. Practice your Italian. The staff at this place are lovely, welcoming, and warm. They lent me an umbrella for the day as it was raining- that was a very nice touch.
And, unlike in other hostels I have stayed, internet was really free, included in the price of the room. Wi-fi did not work in the rooms, but it only means you get to use their lovely, frescoed Library downstairs, with awwsome views from the balcony.
Breakfast not included- why should it, at this bargain price? there are lots of bars nearby where you can get a cappuccino and a croissant for 2 euros.
I also felt very secure, they have a camera linking their front door with the desk upstairs.
I LOVE this hostel. Seriously- the cleanest bathrooms and bedlinen I have ever seen, plus the combination of different factors, mean I will always stay there whenever I am in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo