“The Best Lunch in Perugia”
Review of Ristorante Nana - CLOSED

Ristorante Nana
Price range: US$25 - US$43
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: An ancient XVI century church restored and transformed in an amazing restaurant, with a nice little garden to have summer nights dinners, a dehor in colorful Corso Cavour, an Illy bar room open all the day. At Nana's you'll find a well stocked wine cellar, the possibility to lunch and dinner in the romantic main room or to eat faster in the Illy bar room. Quality and courtesy are the distinctives in Restaurant Nana.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We found this restaurant by happenstance near the Archeological Museum. We ate in the fine dining room instead of the place next door served by the same kitchen. The meal was a simple one of a shared cold cuts and cheese plate (with nuts and pears) with oven-fresh bread, local olive oil, a glass of the house red wine, and then we both ordered the sorbet. The waitress had some difficulty explaining the four flavours of sorbet so the chef arrived and explained that it was (in excellent English) all four—and each was flavoured with an unusual fruit- herb combination from the garden (the chocolate with lavender was heaven. All local ingredients, all perfectly in balance, all so fresh. Moreover, the service was perfect too. When they realized we liked the dark bread, they just brought more. The chef came to chat and had worked in Canada and New Zealand, and made recommendations on his favourite restaurant in Victoria. I have simply never had a meal where absolutely everything was so fresh, burst in your mouth with flavour and in balance with everything else served. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Mary255060

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We found this restaurant by a friend recommendation and we thank them for letting us in on the secret. Parking was interesting as we found out through our first attempt to find this place. Our tip was to park on the bottom entrance and take the stairs up. But then once through the front door we were welcomed with such friendly people and beautiful atmosphere. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable. The menu was amazing! We all shared several pasta dishes and I tried the lentil soup which was delicious. My husband had veal cheek that was cooked for over 8 hours, it melted in your mouth. I had lamb that was cooked in a pretty package and tasted amazing. The dessert was a wonderful deconstructed tiramisu and a lovely molten chocolate cake called heart of chocolate, plus several flavors of homemade sorbets. The wine list is extensive and we took Luciano's suggestions and had the best meal in Perugia. We recommended it to everyone who asked.

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food, excellent local wine and the best Tiramisu ever. If you are in Perugia make sure you don't miss this. Lovely, friendly staff.

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Short menue, sufficient sized servings. The best meal I had in Umbria. A couple of mussel dishes, fish tartar. The tagliatelle in saffron ricotta sauce was devine. Do not miss the disassemled Tiramissu.

1  Thank AdamDa
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Last week I was complaining to an Italian acquaintance that for two weeks in Perugia I have not been able to find a restaurant that I really like. His immediate response was: "Go to Nana!"
And yes, I have found finally found that wonderful food, ambiance, service and wine I've been moaning about.

We went for diner one evening in the middle of the week and it had very few tables occupied. Already at first glance I liked what I saw: spacious, luminous, well decorated area with crisp linen and well polished antique sterling silverware on the tables. Our needs were immediately attended to: a glass decanter with water arrived promptly and without unnecessary hustling for bottled water. The owner, Luciano, chatted with us first, then send a waiter but kept an eye on our table, to make sure everything is OK.

We started with some pasta from the Primi Piatti, two types, including one with saffron and one with mozzarella, both absolutely delicious. The olive oil was not the strong one I have become accustomed to in this area, but quite delicate, mid way between light and fruity. Mercifully, the bread had salt, a rarity for Umbria where they have been making their bread without salt for several Centuries, due to a salt war they had with the Pope in mid 16th Century.

For main course I tried a bacala (cod) with vegetables, yummy and attractively presented, while my diner companion choose "maiale iberico", a roasted pork served on a bed of beans pesto and with some quinoa as side. We drank a Grechetto Colli Martiani, good with both fish and meat. I am not great for desert, but my partner highly approved of his frozen chocolate served from a glass jar with delicate biscuits. Portions are small but hey, this gives you an opportunity to taste more courses.
To top it all, we asked for and received some decaf espresso macchiatto (with a few drops of hot milk) and the bill for all this joy came to 89 Euros, everything included. This is expensive for Perugia, but not at all for NYC standards, especially when we are talking Haute Cuisine. We are definitely going back to Nana!

I have since found that the restaurant has also a covered garden and a bar.

2  Thank Oliver S