“Simply the Best”

Ranked #29 of 138 Perugia B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Simply the Best”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Torre while touring Italy in May 2013. Don't forget to bring a GPS, because it is hard to find but well worth the effort. As so many other guests have stated, it was fabulous.
Anne is an amazing chef. She uses fresh ingredients and the presentation, texture and taste are perfect. I thought that she had studied in a famous Cordon Bleu school. But no, she is self taught and learned much from her mother. We mentioned that we were vegetarians with some additional diet restrictions. Anne was able to provide great meals that accommodated our diets for the other two days that we stayed. I can honestly say that they were the best meals that we had in Italy.
Francesco, Anne and Paulo are very genuine, open and honest people who do all they can to make your stay a pleasure. Francesco even phoned to Rome to ensure that the booking for our stay there was in order.
We stayed in the Serpeverde apartment. It is spacious, very tastefully decorated and comfortable - particularly with the terrace that overlooked two valleys and gave a view that went for miles.
One very pleasant surprise was a tour of Assisi and Perugia conducted by Paulo. We mentioned during our first evening at the Torre that we wanted to do some sightseeing. Paulo was not busy the following day and offered to serve as our guide. We took him up on his offer. Even though he had never done this before, he was great. We saw places that we would never have seen on our own (like a church within a church) and heard stories about many of the sights (like the golden angel that had been stolen by helicopter). He was able to explain about the sights and history of Umbria as if he had lived there all his life.
I can see why the Torre has been so highly rated by all who have stayed there. If you are visiting Umbria, the Torre is a MUST stop on your visit. You will not be disappointed.

3 Thank LikesG00dThings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nashville
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Torre Valbiancara for three nights recently. We stayed in the Tassorosso Room (Red Room), which is a 2-story apartment at the top of the tower. It was clean and extremely spacious, with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen and living room. As others have noted, Francesco is extremely hospitable and served delicious breakfasts consisting of fruit, yogurt parfait and a tasty assortment of breads and jams. Delicious cappuccino, too! It was very difficult for us to find, even with GPS! We were hopelessly lost on our first night and stopped at a restaurant for help. They were unfamiliar with the Torre but called them on our behalf. (Our cells don't work in Italy!) In a few minutes, Yasmen, a Torre employee, came to the restaurant so we could follow her! That was above and beyond the call of duty and very much appreciated. Unfortunately we never made it into central Perugia, but the location was a very good base for touring Umbria. It was a wonderful experience, and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a 2-story room at the top of the tower, choose the Tassorosso (Red) Room. But beware--y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgiaGail
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Torre Valbiancara for three nights in October 2013. We had a wonderful two bedroom apartment on the second floor of a medieval tower with a balcony overlooking the hills of Umbria. Francesco the owner went out of his way to make us comfortable. We had two excellent dinners as well.

It is a little difficult to find, but has good access to both Perugia and Assisi. Highly recommend if you are looking for an out of the way agriturismo that is relaxing and has gorgeous views.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SBTravelers1208
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I found this place via Tripadvisor, and booked it based on its' reviews. Let me just add that they are not lying, this place is seriously out of this world.

My husband and I stayed in the Slytherin apartment for three nights, the apartment was well equipped, beautifully decorated and very spacious. Francesco and Anne are amazing hosts, they shuttled us to and from Perugia everyday and even cooked dinner for us one of the nights that we stayed.

On that note, the food is incredible, they charge 25Euro per person for a full Italian dinner and this was some of the best food I had eaten in Italy.

The rate for the apartment is very reasonable and includes a generous Italian style breakfast; Fresh pastries, bread rolls, pancakes and a yoghurt parfait.

If you are looking for a romantic destination in Umbria, this is the place to stay. It is very private, beautiful and perfectly equipped for a weekend away. The panoramic views are also to die for. (If you want to see more http://gingamusings.com/2013/05/24/perugia-towers-thunder-and-terrific-tables-of-food/)

If you want to be able to see more of Umbria, I suggest you rent a car.

Thank you Francesco, Anne and Paul for an amazing stay! We will definitely be back!

3 Thank gingamusings
Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My husband and I spent three nights in the B&B. Actually it is a small apartment with a sitting room, dining room with small kitchen and two bedrooms. Though not big but very cosy and more than enough space for the two of us. There is a small balcony with panoramic view and Assisi is within our sight. The place is not easy to find but worth the effort. The surrounding is tranquil and beautiful. Francesco has put lots of effort in making the house , the garden and the apartment cosy and comfortable. It makes you feel like staying home instead of a B&B.
We initially only plan for dinner by Anna on the first night but ended up having dinner by her every night cos the food is so delicious and the dining warm is so warm and homely. The ingredients they used are simple but fresh and they use only organic ingredients. Francesco and Paulo have provided us with very good advice and tips in exploring the surrounding towns and area.
They have got very good neighours too. Lucas who lives next door provides them with salami, fresh vegetable etc. We were invited to have an evening drink and despite the language barrier we had a great time. Lucas' son, Nichola, even brought to their animal farm and showed us their goats and ducks. Every one of them has got its own name. Lucas even gave me three freshly laid eggs for my breakfast.
There is still so many good things to write about ..... you just have to go and stay there and experience yourself.
Almost forget to mention the lovely dog Nelson who always want to hug and kiss my husband....

1 Thank FC207
Casalecchio di Reno, Italy
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I found this B&B on TA Italian website after searching for a while for a 3-night accommodation in Perugia area during the New Year's celebrations. I decided to call Francesco, the owner, and he gave me immediately the impression of being a very straightforward person. His proposal turned out to be quite competitive in pricing considering that, despite of the economic slump, I had been dealing with outrageous quotes from other B&Bs. I admit that the mansion seemed to be too nice from the website pictures to be true therefore I was a little skeptical going like: 'Where's the catch?'. Well, Francesco proved to be exactly the person that I hoped and the place, guys, wow...
We were assigned the Grifondoro apartment, which is designed to fit 6 people but it was OK for 7 of us (2 families with 3 kids). It is a beautiful suite on two levels with 2 bathrooms, a very spacious living room with a kitchen and a fireplace, 2 bedrooms. It's part of the old building with the historical tower but it's been heavily and tastefully renovated so that you enjoy the warm ambiance created by the country style while you take advantage of the modern fittings (check out the jacuzzi and the rainshower). Francesco was very hospital and brisk in accommodating our requests. The first night we opted for having dinner at Torre Valbiancara as I was very intrigued by the enthusiastic reviews I had read on TA celebrating the cuisine of Anne, Francesco's French wife. Guys, another great experience. Very simple in terms of ingredients but super-tasteful. Not to mention how good was breakfast: yogurt with muesli and fruit, homemade panini with chocolate and sesame seeds, great pancakes, an amazing selection of organic jams, omelette on-demand. Overall it was a fantastic experience that I would warmly recommend.

Room Tip: Grifondoro is perfect for up to 6 people. Everything's there: a fireplace, two very modern bathr...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family