“deserves a higher rating”
Review of Albergo Morlacchi

Albergo Morlacchi
Ranked #14 of 65 Hotels in Perugia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This hotel is a gem in the heart of medieval Perugia.
The rooms are individually designed. Mine ,room 60 had a large comfortable double bed an antique writing desk, an antique wardrobe , an arm chair, a shuttered window and an en suite shower room. Decorated in rich velvets and voiles, it gave the impression of a sumptuous past.
The owner is a keen art collector and the hotel is furnished with beautiful pieces she has collected over the years and books in the sitting room act as reference to the art.
The breakfast is light, consisting of coffee or tea, juice, croissants and jams.
The family run hotel is friendly and welcoming ,the reception area is intimate and cosy.
The owners are happy to give advice and to store valuable in their safe.
The hotel was recommended to us by an Italian family and I cannot thank them enough for directing us to such a little gem in a safe, secluded, historic area.

Room Tip: I think all are equal number 60 and 62 are ovely
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel, right in the heart of Perugia. It's family owned and the owners are very friendly and welcoming. The inside is beautifully decorated with exceptional pieces of art (the owner's hobby is to collect them) and there's even a family dog!

The building is very tall and therefore there are many stairs up to the rooms, not easy in 35' heat with a huge suitcase! The rooms however, are lovingly decorated and unique (my friend's room was completely different to mine), they are also very spacious with en-suite bathrooms. My room had double windows, a huge double bed that was very comfortable and the pillows were super comfy. There was a desk, a TV, a super fan –no air conditioning; a huge antique wardrobe with a wonderful full length mirror! One of my pet hates in hotel rooms is that they either have no mirrors, or there mirror is very far away from the plug socket (I like to straighten my hair in the mirror), and I’m pleased to say this wasn't the case here. The bathroom was a good size and the hotel provided toiletries, a hairdryer and plenty of fresh, clean towels. The shower was hot and had good water pressure.
Breakfast was typically Italian with one croissant and one bun, a yoghurt, and plenty of jams, marmalades and chocolate spreads. Tea, coffee and juice was also available. This really wasn't for me as I don't really like sweet stuff and would have preferred cheese, meats and eggs, but I did eat it and it was fine.
My main downfall with this hotel is the sleep quality, which nobody else seems to mention in their reviews. Because of the hotel's location in the historic centre, the bells chime every hour, quarter past, half past and quarter to ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT. The first night they woke me at 6am, so not bad, on the second night I slept right through, but that's because I closed all windows, turned off the fan and put ear plugs in, I did wake up sweating however, but it was worth it for a good night's sleep.
As we only stayed here two nights I could cope with the bells, but not sure how I would fare with a week of it. But aside from the bells, a super hotel.

Room Tip: take ear plugs for the bells!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Basics100
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

This was the perfect location for being able to see Perugia and having access to transportation to see the sites. The hospitality was wonderful, they were always cheerful and happy to help in any way possible. We loved "Jesse" the dog, and felt so at home. Would recommend to anyone who is looking for quaint friendly clean and wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Upon my arrival in Perugia, I felt welcomed by Michele as his Dad took my luggage up to the room. Right away, you feel part of the place, which is more apartment style than Hotel. The location is great because it only requires navigation down one steep street; this will be a rarity in Perugia. It is also just off the Centre, with a nice pizza place next door. I found the room comfortable and I loved how the shower door kept the water in the shower :) The breakfast is wonderfully Italian, with the best blood orange juice I have ever tasted and custom made coffee, any style you like. If you have a mobility concern, just be aware there are many stairs, but you can always ask for a room on a lower level.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Nice rooms, worthy breakfast, painting on the walls, smiles that makes every morning really joyful. Incredibly warm and friendly atmosphere of comfort and coziness, and especially - the owners of the hotel. And of course their nice dog!
Want to come again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vs-versus
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel is small, intimate and run by the nicest Italian family I've ever met. Our rooms were clean, tidy and very functional - there was nothing missing. Breakfast is basic and all you need, but it's the friendliness of the staff (who are all related), and especially their beautiful dog 'Jessica' that makes it a real gem. Jessica was waiting for me every time I came 'home'.
They catered for our every need, were incredibly helpful and kind and also have the most gorgeous apartment for rent, which is just around the corner and next to the best Jazz shop in Town. Their location is superb, very central but far enough away from all the noise. Not only do I recommend this wonderful little place to all of you out there but I shall be going back myself.... and hopefully soon.
Michelle and Michael Graley

Room Tip: I stayed in room 63 - it was fabulous.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

The hotel is very tasteful and very well located. The rooms are comfortable and beautiful. The staff is very friendly, and the dog, Jessi, is the best guide to the city. I felt at home and would like to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo