“A restaurant nightmare”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“A restaurant nightmare”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I have just had a true restaurant nightmare. Having found our usual places closed for winter holidays we came across San Lorenzo. The menu looked interesting so we ventured in. We were relieved to find a few other diners at the back of the restaurant, and despite the chilly temperature in the dining room things began to look promising. The manager was then very helpful in selecting a rather nice bottle of wine from their extensive selection. But then the food arrived. A small plate of pasta that was supposed to have roasted tomato sauce, pesto and small squid, was dull with a tasteless sauce, tired squid and no sign of the pesto. A real miss. The main course did not fare much better. In the centre of a huge cold plate were some chickpeas with a tiny piece of cod that had been fried in black breadcrumbs. It was trying to be clever but tasted of cheap oil. The worst plate was the pudding. A tasting plate was offered promising panna cotta, tiramisu and a chocolate pudding. The panna cotta was an egg custard that had split, the tiramisu tasted frozen and shop bought and the chocolate cake was just nasty and artificial. But the worst shock of all came with the bill. We were charged 40 euros for our two puddings! When i complained about the price and the quality quite a scene broke out, with considerable abuse from the manager and a rant against english people. Eventually we paid for only one of the horrible puddings but we left with a very bad taste in our mouths. The worst restaurant experience I have ever had.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank rjac68

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Cape Town
“Close to the centre, but not aimed at the tourist market”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The best test of a restaurant is still the old one: do the locals eat here? By this criterion, this restaurant is good indeed: I was the only tourist there at lunch time, the other tables being occupied by professional types in suits as well as working men in dungarees. And once you've ordered, it's clear why: the portions are generous enough to satisfy a healthy appetite, and yet prepared with enough care to pass muster with anybody. I had an involtini of porcini, which was light and delicate, and a more robust spaghetti with melanzane and tomato, also excellent. I risked the tiramisu, which so often is a pre-prepared mass-produced cliche, but this one was as good as the rest of the meal: light and yet decadent. With coffee (double espresso), mineral water, two glasses of wine (the wine list is sensible and reasonably priced) and cover charge, the bill came to 34 euros, which I thought was very reasonable for such a meal. The service, though not effusive, was professional, prompt and friendly; the atmosphere is calm and relaxing, and the bathroom, though small, is clean and well kept. All in all, a welcome refuge from the bustle of the tourist area.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Nicholas6
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice restaurant in a nice city”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The review in one of our old Michelin guides made us decide to try it out. As we entered the restaurant for lunch we were directed to one of the four tables close to the entrance. We were the only guests and found ourselves in the good hands of a very kind waitress. She was attentive and nice. We selected two courses. The antipasti was really outstanding. After the first course the chef cook entered to work with his computer which was located just behind our table. My primi piatti was black ravioli, served not completely at the right temperature, but tasteful. The interior is nice, classic. Overall a very good restaurant which we will retry once we revisit Perugia.

2 Thank Rosita_Amsterdam
Zwevegem, Belgium
“Superb, excellent!”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I came in wearing shorts, as I thought it was a simple trattoria, the chef didn't mind! So i asked for a simple meal with just to starters...I got a prosseco as well, and even a superb appetizers (potatoe stuffed with truffels), as a first starter I had the black ravioli with lobster, and my second starter was a pasta with black truffel ant quail eggs...superb! Next day I went back my appetizers was a cauliflower soup with a freshly made mascarpone cheese...my starter this time was the grilled tuna wich blew me away, and then the ravioli with foie gras and duck...heavenly, they didnt mind that i was single, didnt mind that i drank only one or two glasse of wine! They also have a menu for 35 euro or so...he used to have a Michelin star, and you can see why! SUPERB!

• Visited June 2012
7 Thank Faustocoppi1953
glasgow
“Top notch!”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

One of the most enjoyable evenings on our trip to Italy!
The service and the atmosphere were unmatchable and the dinner has been superbe!

I had tagliolini al tartufi and they were amazing, I've never had such a delicious pasta in my life!

So, it has been the best dinner we have had in a while! Quality, service, value, food, everything was as good as you could ask for.
I would definitely recommend this to everyone who's traveling in Italy!

• Visited June 2012