“Incredible meal experience in Perugia!”

Antica Trattoria San Lorenzo
Ranked #517 of 861 Restaurants in Perugia
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Tonight my friend and I returned from our second visit to L'Antica Trattoria San Lorenzo here in Perugia. We've been here for 2 weeks studying and have tried just about every restaurant in Perugia--and we're sad it took us so long to discover San Lorenzo! Everything about our experiences here has been wonderful: Chef Simone Ciccoti is incredibly welcoming and invested in his customers' experiences. The service was so attentive, kind, and helpful. My first visit I had the delicious Spaghetti with Basil Pesto and Squid, and the most recent visit I tried the Maccheroni with Tomato, Garlic and Olives. Both were absolutely delicious! Finished both meals with the chef's incredible version of Zuppa Inglese. Complimentary prosecco, appetizer and bread included with the coperto. And the price is incredible for the quality of food and service! There are many traditional Perugian/Umbrian restaurants in Perugia, but this is a more updated take on Italian cuisine--and very refreshing after 2 weeks of typical Italian cuisine. I could just go on about how wonderful this restaurant is. We're here for the rest of the week and hopefully will be back at least once more!

1  Thank RGNYC4690

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We had a fabulous experience here. This was easily one of the finest meals we had in Italy. The owner is very gracious and the food is wonderful! His wine parings were tremendous, and the price was much less than I would have thought. Great service, too. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We chose to go to ristorante San Lorenzo, as it had a Michelin guide mention. It was definitely not a mistake. Had a fantastic menu with very special (and certainly not touristy) degustation plates. The wine sommelier is simply amazing, her choices went just right with the plates and she offered a high quality service.

2  Thank Carlos_L93
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Surprisingly, this place was not full on the day we visited, while the places surrounding it (essentially bad pizza bars) were hopping with young students. It was only by chance we came across this wonderful restaurant. As you walk up towards the cathedral, it is a small doorway in an arch on your right of the cathedral/duomo. We were so delighted to find a place like this in Perugia. It is in the style of a relais & chateau michelin french restaurant but with none of the stuffiness. It is like they've built it into a cave, you have to step down 8 old stone steps, then another 5 to a room that is brightly lit & well decorated.
When we visited the menu was not in english but the staff speak english & translated it all. We were told the chef is the owner, and thats always a good thing so we opted for the taster menu with the matching drinks. In other places in Italy this would have been in the region of 100-150 euro. Here the prices were so low! It was 50euro for the taster menu and an extra 30 euro for the matching drinks. This restaurant offers amazing value for money!

It was an amazing experience. The waitress had a story to tell about each wine and each dish as they were served. Every singe thing was cooked to perfection. On a holiday you allow for good basic meals and maybe you'll find 1 place that does some dishes very well, but this place was an extra ordinary find. Not only from a foodie's perspective, but from a quality, provenance and value for money perspective.
By far, the best food i've ever eaten, and I eat out alot, at home & abroad.

1  Thank Margaret G
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I remembered antica trattoria san lorenzo from my last trip so we hopped in again! The friendly waitress showed us our table we received a glass of prossecco followed by a soup as starter, again full of flavour!
We ordered the tunna since I remembered it being great the last time and again, hallelujah grilled to perfection!
as a pasta dish I had the lobster ravioli with seafood and to finish we had the Giannina Stew with foie gras this all paired with excellent wines from the region!
I ll defenitely will be back!

1  Thank Faustocoppi1953