“Credit Card Payers Beware!”

Antica Trattoria San Lorenzo
Ranked #516 of 860 Restaurants in Perugia
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 January 2014

A complaint I have had about some restaurants in Italy was that their credit card machine was not working, so they required cash instead. This restaurant proved to be no exception, advertising on their door that they accepted the standard credit cards, but when trying to pay, "our credit card machine is broken" was their response. Generally, travelers to Italy are carrying euros around for smaller purchases, but when your meal with wine exceeds 150 euros, you would like to know in advance of their problem. We had the cash but those at other tables had to leave and find an ATM.
They should have told everyone upon arrival of their credit card problems.
We will not return.

1  Thank Philip C

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was staying at a wonderful hotel in Perugia and made this reservation from New York City before I left. During my trip, I found a few other restaurants that I wanted to try so I had to cancel this reservation. I asked the hotel to cancel the reservation for me - they told me that there was no record of the reservation. When I arrived back at the hotel after dinner, I received an email from the proprietor of the retaurant which translated as: The next time, remember to cancel the reservation, you rude person. Needless to say, I was angry. When I discussed this with the hotel, I was told that this guy has issues. Obviously… BTW, we had dinner at Ristorante Altromondo which was fabulous!

4  Thank LadyTravelerNYC
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I did not have to eat in this restaurant because of the scandalous offer of the owner/manager. I wanted to make a reservation directly there, I came 1hour and half before the wanted hour and to reserve a table for two they wanted reservation fees !!! Because they said they lost too much table during the last days. I traveled all over the world and never see something like this. Of course I told them and they said it is normal. Would have they ask for my credit card number if I wanted to reserve by phone?!!! These persons should not own a restaurant. Of course I refused and did not eat there.

2  Thank TravelerEU27
Reviewed 14 October 2013

excellent service, warm and welcoming atmosphere, exceptional food !!! reasonable pricing, amazing deserts :) we were more than happy there.

3  Thank canavaRoussos
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We have been to San Lorenzo for lunch before and remembered just how good it is. All we were looking for was a single course meal as we were eating out in the evening. Chef produces a single rectangular plate with a portion of meat (lamb in this case), some pasta and some vegetables. You have to pay cash and it costs just 15 Euros each. We were each given a complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a glass of prosecco. The total bill with a coffee and cover charge was 40 Euros. Service was excellent and it must be one of the best places to eat dinner in Perugia.

1  Thank Schulkx