“Yet another Saturday lunch”
Review of Purefoy Arms

Purefoy Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
Purefoy Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$32 - US$44
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 5* Hotelier (Paul - Four Seasons, YTL Hotels) an award winning Chef (Dougie - Michelin red M, 2 AA Rosettes) along with front of house manager (Matt - Alfred's of Mayfair, The Bath Spa, The Gainsborough Bath Spa) have joined forces in the pursuit of turning a beautiful country pub into Gastro heaven. All classically trained and living for what they do, they are serving up stunning daily changing menus which are based around traditional classic French & English dishes, with Local ales, speciality lagers from as far flung destinations as Spain, Holland & Japan. A stunning array of wines selected from a number of distributors both local and nationwide and a carefully selected spirit list to compliment any London cocktail bar. All in the beautiful surroundings of the Hampshire countryside. Expect fine dining service and food by trained professionals with amazing people skills. Where possible only local and award winning produce is used, and as time goes by everything they intend to use will be either grown or made in house. Look out for their soon to be established vegetable & herb garden and their homemade ice creams. Expect wine and whisky tastings, along with exclusive and not to miss events. With heroes like Cesar Ritz & Auguste Escoffier, It's not hard to understand the dedication and passion that goes into everything they do. A lighter bar snack menu is available midweek in the designated lounge bar area, with a semi private dining room offering 6 course tasting menus for between 6-12 people when pre booked. A garden menu will also be available during the summer months. The garden area is also available to hire for private functions and weddings. Please not that last orders in the restaurant are 21:30 midweek and 22:00 Friday & Saturday
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Yet another Saturday lunch”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We felt obliged, having been so often to write another review. What a pleasure this place is to some other reviewers I would say of course it is Spanish, the chef is. If you cannot read the hand writing ask. James not the boss was cooking this time and the tapas were sublime. The cafe fondant my wife described as the best she had ever tasted. I am glad we shall not see one reviewer here ever again what a travesty of the truth. Any way go unless you do not like tapas and expect tapas to be big portions stick to Benidorm. One sherry one bottle of wine, one large whisky, six or seven tapas inc almonds, one pud one coffee £77 for two. Very good value we will go regularly even if its a moderate drive.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank PSandzillah

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch with friends”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Had a long relaxing sunday lunch in the atmospheric Purefoy arms. The staff were friendly and attentive. We sat in a very comfortable corner next to an open log fire and a candle lit our table. The restaurant was busy with customers at every table. The food was exceptional and delicious. I had razor clams with caramelised shallots and sherry sauce, followed by a roast pork dinner with a selection of vegetables and a monster yorkshire pudding and apple sauce. I had a sharing red apple tart tatin with homemade icecream that would have fed all four of us rather than the two. My husband had a glorious cheese board with superb accompaniments. Well done and thankyou to the hostess, chef and staff. We can't wait to come again when we are in the area.

• Visited February 2013
Tadley, United Kingdom
“Made our wedding day so so special!”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

When my now wife and I got engaged we searched for our ideal wedding reception location and found it in the Purefoy Arms. We went down and had some lunch and spoke to the owner Marie-Lou who put a menu together for us and when we returned for our taster there really wasn't anywhere else we could have had our reception, the food was stunning. The communication leading up to the day was very good and all of the staff at this pub are awesome and could not have been more helpful. The day went so well, we got lucky with the weather, and everybody that I have spoken to that attended our wedding absolutely loved the food, the atmosphere and we would wholeheartedly recommend this pub for any occasion.

Thank you to everyone at the Purefoy Arms.

• Visited September 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere, nice food, nice service.”
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday evening and although it was busy the staff were attentive and we were able to sit by a nice log burner and wait. We enjoyed the food - the leek, potato haddock and egg starter was a real winner, as was the cheese soufflé. They were willing to 'wiggle' the menu a little to accommodate tastes which is nice. There is a Catalan hint to some dishes and on the whole it is an interesting menu of elevated and altered pub type fayre. A nice experience.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Worse food ever”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I went with my wife to celebrate the Valentines day at this pub/restaurant and I will say it right now: I will not go there ever again. Not Recommended. The menu was hand-written and the words were difficult to make out. I had to guess what they meant. Not impressed at all. The food was completely tasteless. I must say I have never eaten anywhere where the food was that bad. The chef was too concerned with the presentation of the food rather then the taste. The soufflé, looked good, tasted ...mediocre. The truffle risotto was soaked in fat, covered in cheddar shavings and had tiny shavings of truffle. This was my wife's fate. I, on the other hand, chose the 'rare' pork pate and black pudding accompanied by some chutney. It sounded impressive and at after the first bite I realized that the combination was making me sick. I waited bravely for the cod. It looked good, again, but the flavors the chef was trying to mix were worlds apart. The bacon sauce accompanying the cod, was salty, the cod was tasteless and dry. The only good thing about the dinner was the wine and the decor. I don't know if this was a 'special' Valentines day menu, or the regular menu but I know that me and my wife did not sleep well at all because of the upset stomachs. The service was slow and no one bothered to ask if we liked the food or not. Perhaps the staff knew and were too embarrassed.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Olsi V
mrpusskins, Owner at Purefoy Arms, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Firstly I thank you for sharing your experience with us at The Purefoy Arms on Valentines evening

I will address each point in turn:

“the menus are hand written & difficult to make out, I had to guess what they meant”
the majority of our customer base are generally from the U.K and so we find English works extremely well. The joined up writing, I agree, can be a little tricky.
Our menu is changed daily, sometimes twice as we endeavour to promote fresh & seasonal produce to our customers. Would you prefer the laminated, typed menu seen in most chains?

“Fourme D'ambert souffle with toasted hazelnuts” - mediocre?
One of France's oldest cheeses from the Auvergne, a creamy rich blue cheese particularly suited for soufflés.. We have served this dish for the last two weeks (possible fifty or so) not one complaint..

“The truffle risotto was soaked in fat”
The “fat” was actually truffle oil & the cheddar shavings were in fact aged Parmesan (have you tried to shave Cheddar?)

“The rare breed pork terrine with black pudding, the combination made me feel sick”
The Purefoy Arms are not the first to serve this classic combination..
Pork with black pudding sauce – Heston Blumenthal
Denbighshire Pork with black pudding & Calvados jus - Alain Ducasse
Pork & black pudding sausage – Baker Boys
Pork & black pudding hotpot – Even Delia Smith is at it!!!
Go to the Ivy in London or The Wolsey & guess what they have got on their menu.. Pork & black pudding!!!

“Bacon sauce was salty, and the cod was tasteless and dry”
The cod had been poached beautifully in fish stock & was complemented by puy lentils,bacon.& salsa verdi. Again another classic combination, sadly not appreciated by your taste

I'm sorry you thought the service was slow. I stupidly assumed guests would enjoy the evening relaxed & not rushed on Valentines Day.
With your sophisticated palate & in-depth knowledge of food you may consider contacting the Sunday Times, I believe A.A. Gill may have just met his match.
One thing baffles me....Its clear everything was wrong, the food, the service, the menu etc. Why did you fail to mention any of this on the night when it could have been rectified.. Just a thought..

The only positive thing you wrote on your review was your promise of not returning.

Next time you decide to slate someone’s business on Trip Advisor I suggest you eat out somewhere other than The Chef & Brewer in Basingstoke.

Kindest regards