“Good experience”

Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Basel
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good experience”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

When I stay in a hotel for work I judge hotels on four main things.

Internet speed/connectivity
Hotel provides a single Wi-Fi code which will work for the duration of your stay. If you check out a bit later on though you might need to ask for another. This was convenient and I didn't need to keep entering the code, and it worked on my phone AND laptop. Speed was fine for what I was doing though it did drop out a couple of times around 5.30pm-6pm, I guess this was when it was being hammered by guests. I was happy with this service.

Cleanliness
The room was modern and clean. Safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board provided as standard; not sure what the flat thing in the bathroom was that plugged in to the wall - from a distance I thought it was some kind of trouser press but it didn't open up and had no markings or buttons that I could see! I was given a smoking room at first but they were able to switch me to a non smoking room - make sure you specify this as this would be an altogether different review - the smoking room stank. I was happy with the room.

Noise/comfort
Pillows were a bit spongy and firm for my liking, I want to sink in to them. No noise from outside which is good because some hotels (much more expensive) are right on the tram tracks. Air conditioning worked fine and did not keep me awake.

Gym facilities
There is a gym in the basement with a reasonably modern Technogym Cross Trainer, Bike and Rowing Machine, there are also free weights, a bench, some mats and an ab cruncher. For those of you that like looking at yourself there are two mirrors, though they are not really high enough unless you are Warwick Davis. Towels and water are provided, I would have preferred water bottles than small cups because you can slot these in to the drinks holder on the machines (I took a stack of cups to make it tall enough to fit). There was music playing and also a mahoooosive TV and remote.

Overall
Good for a business traveller, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in an apartment twice for a month at a time, last year and now in 2013.
The staff are helpful. But. The internet is absolutely disgusting. The Lan drops out every 5 minutes and the wifi is just as bad. You can not make any reliable contact with the rest of the world. In the brief time the internet is working it is the slowest I have ever come across.
The carpet is disgusting ,not just my room but my colleagues. Ive seen cleaner carpet in an engine workshop. The so called double bed is just 2 singles pushed together which roll apart if you roll into the middle. The duvet is a small single and even tho I am a slim build leaves one or the other side of your body exposed. On requesting a double duvet I was told they are not available even tho in the studios they have a foldup double bed with a double duvet. The pots and pans which are necessary for a long stay are a hotch potch of rubbish with no lids. The single lounge chair is missing from my room. The once a week cleaning was done at 4 oclock on a Sunday. And the cleaning lady started at 9am. Ok so she was busy , but what about looking after your long term guests first. And our is a corporate account which one would think was worthy of protecting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Neville_j737
Adagio-Duty_Manager, Front Office Manager at Aparthotel Adagio Basel City, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest!

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay in our Rental Apartment. We are sorry that it did not meet your full expectations, and we would like to offer you a sincere apology.
It is right that we had several internet provider problems last weekend (11.10.-13.10.2013) and we could offer only slow speeded network connection for all our guests. On Monday morning our IT-specialists checked connection and broadband and we can inform you and all our guest that wlan/wifi download is 13,80Mbps and upload is 1,05Mbps. With wired/cabled connection we offer 1gbps connection. On peak periods bradband can be slower, depending usage of all our guests in hotel. We hope of fairness.
Regarding your room, facilities and room standard we feel sorry that you claim it now and not direct with us. Missing or broken equipment in kitchen or room can be placed or if necessary replaced everytime by our staff. Carpets are in all our guest rooms and we clean them carefully and if necessary with special machines.
Twin beds rooms are given only on special request, because we have only 8 of them in our apart hotel. If you ask after checkin for room change - it would be possible!
As you as frequent traveller in our apart hotel know - weekly room cleaning will provided every 7 days. If you arrived on a Sunday we will get room cleaning on a Sunday. With a small note to housekeeping or reception team we are always able to switch this date.
Rest assured that we will do everything we can to meet your expectations and to provide you with quality service in your next stay.

Yours faithfully,
Steffen Ruhland
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night. Rooms clean, modern and everything you could need. Also quite small and mine smelt of cigarettes.

Location great for Messe and good value.

Would recommend but not for a luxurious weekend stay.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank twinklation1980
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here in Aug 2013. Love the 'aparthotel' idea - so nice to have a small kitchen in which to have a few meals if choose to do so. Very clean hotel and spacious. Grocery store within 1 block.

Really? A minimum number of characters to submit a review?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eileen Z
Kenley
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Whoever would have thought I’d like a hotel with a grey-and-red colour-scheme? Well, surprisingly, I do. I like this stylish, modern, designer-ish place. I like it for its practicality, its location, its friendliness…

Practicality: it’s an apartment hotel, so you get a small studio flat – convertible bedroom/living room, bathroom, kitchen – all fully equipped, and well equipped (where else at this sort of price would you find an iron & board, cothes drying rack, bedside CD/radio, internet TV, safe, microwave, coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher…) It’s not luxurious, and the rooms are not enormous, but I’ve stayed here several times now, for two or three nights at a time, and it makes a great change from a conventional hotel. Some reviewers have complained about the edges of the folding bed (it folds up into the wall); I don’t agree, I don’t find them either dangerous or painful. The bedroom/living room, bathroom, kitchen are all mercifully well-lit – no depressing gloom here.

It is conveniently located for lots of things – you’ll have your own priorities in Basel, so I won’t attempt to list them. I will mention though that it is not on a train or tram route. That makes it quiet (actually most of the rooms face onto an internal courtyard, so they are even quieter). And there are trams and buses at each end of the street, literally at about a minute one way and a couple of minutes the other. There are plenty of places to eat, at various price points, nearby (this hotel does not have a restaurant). Step out of the front door, turn cross the road and turn right, and less than 100m away you’ll find the Rheinfelderhof restaurant on your left, which is an honest, old fashioned, traditional restaurant that provides some of the best value in town. And before you even get that far – almost opposite the hotel – you’ll pass a small food store, so you can stock up the kitchen (so long as you are not looking for fresh or perishable produce).

The staff have been unfailingly friendly. Not because they now recognise me, as I see different people every time; they just are smiling and helpful.

Breakfast is a buffet bar. Relatively limited – not four-star standard – but an adequate selection of hot and cold offerings, including pastries.

Any downsides? Well, I’d love proper clothes hangers instead of the moronic anti-theft ones. And the Accor loyalty points scheme is rubbish (definitely not a good reason for choosing this hotel) – I’d love a more rewarding scheme. But that is pretty much it.

I got very annoyed with this Adagio a few months ago when there were no non-German TV channels for an extended period. That was the single occasion on which the staff let down the hotel. But now there are over 100, in a range of languages – including several in English (most major UK terrestrial channels among others). And the TV can act as a web browser, though it is not much fun to use. Luckily you get free wifi, so that is no problem if you bring your own device. And, finally, like EVERY hotel in Basel, every guest gets a pass for unlimited free travel in Basel during their stay (I think that extends to your trip into the city from the airport or railway station, but you might want to check).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing inside for quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank macroKenley
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was in Basel for a conference but traveled there with my husband and two young children. On arrival we had an exceptionally friendly and helpful greeting from the gentleman at reception. The sofa bad was already made up for 2 to sleep when we entered. The set-up was perfect for 4 people and I was thrilled to see so many doors so we could close off the living room when the kids went to sleep. I was pleasantly surprised to see a dishwasher - didn't expect this at all, even a small one was a great help. And a full-sized refrigerator was great. It was great to have a tub for bathing the kids but the separate shower was very small and there was no place inside the shower to place soap/shampoo/shower gel. I wound up putting my toiletries on the sink and reaching out for them, but then a lot of water got on the floor - so that was a poor design. Other than that, the room was entirely very clean and I was pleased with the space. There were a number of closet areas. And they provided a vacuum and charger converter. I did notice 2 light bulbs were out but I didn't bother to complain. In fact, the loss of light made no difference and I only noticed because I was confused by light switches that didn't seem to do anything. My husband also noticed a socket at the entrance to the room that was pulled out of the wall a bit. Concerned that we'd be blamed, he told reception right away - they fixed it the next day and even left a note to make us aware that they did. Also - I didn't notice it at first but my husband saw that there was a drying rack in the wall over the tub. This was convenient for clothes that couldn't go in the dryer. I have to say - after living in this hotel for 5 days, I now know what it would be like to live in an Ikea catalog - all the furnishings seemed to be straight from Ikea. But it was comfortable enough nonetheless.

We also used the laundry facility - it was small with just a few machines, but thankfully empty so we had no problems time-wise. It was quite expensive to do our laundry (12 CHF washer+dryer) but what a pleasure to have clean clothes after a week of traveling and we weren't done with our travels yet. There is also an exercise room that looked clean and adequate to get a work out done it, but we did not take advantage of it. All in all, I can't complain about this centrally located, comfortable, clean hotel with excellent service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family