Basel Backpack
US$242
US$212
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Aparthotel Adagio Basel City(Basel)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$100
Adagio City
  • Fitness centre
Hotel Stuecki Basel(Basel)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$180
US$172
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hotel City Inn(Basel)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$111
Official Site
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe main train stationdorm roomyoga studiominute walknice place to staypublic transportfree travel cardmobility cardthe bushostelimac8chfwifieuswitzerlandcitykey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2014

In a ridiculously expensive country, Basel Back Pack is a catch.
We (two architects on a budget) were supposed to stay 1 day + 1 night to visit some architecturally interesting building in the city; we ended up staying for 3 days + 2 nights, and would gladly have stayed more if we had the time.
Staff was super friendly and used to architecture nerds like us; upon check in and the normal transportatin ticket all hotels in Basel give their guests, he also lended us some reference literature and maps for our trips around the city, along with a bunch of good tips of places to eat and drink.
The double room was quiet, clean and comfortable. The shared facilities (kitchen + toilet) really rely upon the civility of the other guests, but we were quite lucky and had a nice time there.
The building is a former industrial warehouse of sorts, restored into a trendy area, with a small local brewery right next door.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I've arrived at the hostel only to realise that I've made a booking for the following day instead of the current one. I was upset because I didn't want to pay extra for one day, I was taking the plane the next day and could not benefit of my original booking. Luckily the guy at the reception was really nice and he gave me a room for the day at no extra charge. Also I've booked a mixed room but since there were only men booking the room he gave a place in the women's bedroom. A very nice way to look after the customers. Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MarinaH773
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We were in Basel for a football match. Unfortunately the match date coincided with a Swiss watch convention, meaning there were literally no hotel rooms in the area, or within 20 miles. Everyone was having a nightmare.

There were no flights available to Basel, either, so we had flown into Zurich and then got a train to Basel. My own departing flight from Basel was the morning after the game at 7am. With all this in mind I decided to take a chance in arriving in Baselk with nowhere to stay and hopefully find somewhere with a cancellation available. At Basel station I went to the tourist help office and we tried many hotels. Nothing. We even tried the two hostels in Basel, but both of those were full. Then Basel backpack called me back to say they had a bed. I knew I’d be able to get 4 hours rest before rushing for the early flight back to London.

It’s located about 15 minutes walk from the main station. I rushed round there and was welcomed by a German guy (name escapes me) who liked to talk football. He was very helpful and still gave me the cheap rate for the room. He then even gave me a bottle of beer! Lovely guy. I went up to the dorm room and put my bag in the locker. The room was basic, but was what it was – a shared room with bathroom down the corridor housing a few showers. There’s a bar downstairs and courtyard. For a budget trip this is fine. Good value.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank FlatEricAscot
Reviewed 29 May 2013

There were 6 of us travelling on budget (aged between 25-56). Stayed for 1 night.

I couldn't comment on check in procedure as we arrived very late at night. Please note that the reception will be closed after 8pm, we informed our late arrival when we booked so we were given password to the key box and had no problem accessing the building.

We had to make our own beds, something my folks didn't get use to LOL but they got on with it.

Nice hot shower :)
The beds are comfortable and we had a good sleep.
Basel mobility-ticket is included in the price we paid.

Met the receptionist the next briefly to pay for the stay and he seems like a friendly guy.

The hostel is located in a nice area, handy from train station with shops and cafes around. Really like the small lane leading to the hostel, seems like a re-vamped warehouse area with high ceiling and big window spaces for cafe, a couple of shops and a yoga school.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I have nothing but high respect for this hostel. Very clean and tidy and very friendly staff during a very busy period. Plus I left some clothes on the floor due to a drunk and early start in the morning and they sent all the clothes back to my UK address, Cannot fault this place at all!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo