“average”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Average swiss cousine. nothing extraordinary. few options on the menu. the decorations and style seems a bit outdated, thats not normal in basel but it is in switzerland

Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I wanted a coffe with cake and sit near the nice view.

I had to sit (I stayed for one hour and a half) away from the windows looking at the river because they were reserved when I arrived...but they remained empty for all my stay even when i left...
I find this situation happens when who runs the restaurant gives no good criteria to the service team... Or they have no will to prepare a table twice in order to please more clients...

I waited little for the coffe and the cake, but no smiles or kindness signs... And he through coffe from the cup on the plate, a lot of it, quickly appologized but left my sugar humid floating on the plate.

The athmosphere is as silent as an abandoned place. Silent. Fortunately I was reading something on my phone.
One can here the coffe machine noises, the dry dishes put into place, a door opening and closing..

I stood up, put all my winter clothes to leave, and only then somebody came to me, in order to pay.

It is not a place where you'd like to leave a tip, frankly, after all.

I don't know who runs this place but some love is missing:
This is my suggestions for the owners:

@Some soft classical music would change so much the whole experience.
@all customers like that side of the restaurant, be nice an let the people enjoy.
@ express service can be found in macDonalds, order the service team to do their job with kindness..

Hope you people have a better experience!
Regards,
VM

Reviewed 1 January 2013

The restaurant has is has a tea room (front of house) and more formal restaurant at the back. We had a window table with a great view over th river Rhyne. We had a great lunch. I had the traditional seasonal game with spaetzle, which was very good and filling. My partner had the smoked fish salad which was also delicious. Service was affable and quite funny in a way. The table was properly set with linen tablecloth, napkins, and all the paraphernalia. Good choice for when in the city centre.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I dined on the terrace, with fine open view. It's a medium-low priced restaurant, with basic but very kind service. Indoor seating looked nice and old fashion -in a good way. Food was fine -a safe choice if you're in town.

2  Thank Hedin
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Perfect timing for us to get a table by a window for a view of the river and bridge. We watched the passing boats and people crossing the bridge. It was a perfect break from museums and shopping in Basel. We enjoyed afternoon coffee and wonderful desserts (apple torte and strawberry torte).

1  Thank ThePBR