“Pay-by-view as a restaurant concept”
Review of Spillmann - CLOSED

Spillmann
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were invited here by friends for a birthday celebration and were lucky enough to get a table on the terrace for six - with a view onto the Rhein, where we "enjoyed" the concert on the river which was just starting up.

In fact, by the end of meal the children were saying that we should do this more often. It´s a relaxed atmosphere with summer cooking, so lots of salads, but also the usual European classics, and a reasonably priced wine list for summer drinking.

But to be honest, you´re paying for the view, so factor this in to your budget, but make the most of the summer - and ask for a table looking onto the river.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Disappointingly the weather is overcast and the weather threatening rain when we visit this well-established restaurant in a historic building overlooking the Rhine, so the open air terrace is closed. In fact, the Rhine is in full flood and fortunately the base of the building seems able to withstand the rushing waters, so even inside the view is compelling as tour boats struggle upstream and then roar downstream. The staff are typically efficient and not particularly friendly when we arrive for a late lunch, but the food is fine, if a bit pricey. We enjoy a medley of small open-faced sandwiches accompanied by the refreshing summer drink Aperol spritz. Total CHF 54.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Restaurant Spillman is located right on the banks of the river Rhine, which is a perfect location, it has lovely views and a rooftop terrace for use in the summer.

This is certainly a place to visit, a little expensive but so worthwhile, both the service and food was of exceptionally good quality.

Old Fashioned silver service by waiters who know their food and wines, superb service

My colleague and I both had the lobster, which was not fresh, but cooked to perfection, washed down with an excellent Chateauneuf du Pape, followed by local cheese board.

A really nice evening.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Average swiss cousine. nothing extraordinary. few options on the menu. the decorations and style seems a bit outdated, thats not normal in basel but it is in switzerland

Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I wanted a coffe with cake and sit near the nice view.

I had to sit (I stayed for one hour and a half) away from the windows looking at the river because they were reserved when I arrived...but they remained empty for all my stay even when i left...
I find this situation happens when who runs the restaurant gives no good criteria to the service team... Or they have no will to prepare a table twice in order to please more clients...

I waited little for the coffe and the cake, but no smiles or kindness signs... And he through coffe from the cup on the plate, a lot of it, quickly appologized but left my sugar humid floating on the plate.

The athmosphere is as silent as an abandoned place. Silent. Fortunately I was reading something on my phone.
One can here the coffe machine noises, the dry dishes put into place, a door opening and closing..

I stood up, put all my winter clothes to leave, and only then somebody came to me, in order to pay.

It is not a place where you'd like to leave a tip, frankly, after all.

I don't know who runs this place but some love is missing:
This is my suggestions for the owners:

@Some soft classical music would change so much the whole experience.
@all customers like that side of the restaurant, be nice an let the people enjoy.
@ express service can be found in macDonalds, order the service team to do their job with kindness..

Hope you people have a better experience!
Regards,