“Not a 3* hotel”

Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Basel
UK
“Not a 3* hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a budget hotel. The noise in the rooms was terrible. I could hear all night doors smashing, noise from the street, conversations and trolleys. The tv was volume controlled, and you could hardly listen to it due to the background noise. I had to put my radio on to go to sleep. The aircon was not working, i had to use both duvets. It was really a terrible experience. I would rather pay a little bit more and have a decent stay.

• Stayed October 2013
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Hotel City Inn Guest
Thank you for describing your inconvenience in our house. I’m very sorry that the service did not meet your expectations. It is extremely important for my team to offer all guests a perfect stay. Through constructive criticism we can guide improvements in this area immediately in the way.
Daniel Fankhauser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Urdorf, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed here one night as I had an early flight from Basel Airport. The entrance was a bit difficult to find, it appeared it shared the entrance with the Euler Hotel of the same group. I had a single room which was clean and nicely made and had all the facilities that I needed just for the 1 night stay. The TV was a bit complicated to handle, the light switches had a funny system, which also takes a moment to find out, but otherwise it's ok. I didn't sleep well as the noise of the main square and nearby station were not totally blocked out, but that must be quite a challenge, however the pillow was very soft and barely gave any support and this made me uncomfortable and wake up in the middle of the night. Check in staff was nice, attentive and friendly. Unfortunately the same can not be said of the gentleman on reception (who probably did the night shift) the next morning, tired, to the point and rather unhelpful.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room they have
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Hotel Euler-Guest
Thank you for describing your inconvenience in our house. I’m very sorry that the service did not meet your expectations. As a 4 star hotel it is extremely important for my team to offer all guests a perfect stay. Through constructive criticism we can guide improvements in this area immediately in the way.
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

At check-in the attendant demanded a security deposit of 900 CHF ($970 USD), after we had already paid 815.50 CHF for a stay of six nights. The staff member refused to budge and tried my Visa for 900 CHF, which declined. He then suggested that we would eat breakfasts and create a huge bill, leaving him to pay it. He was very rude and horrible to deal with. Eventually he agreed to accept a deposit of 400 CHF, which I still think was too much. Of course I complained the next day and the guy at the desk said that 200 CHF should have been the charge and he would refund 200 right away. We were given a free breakfast, but the staff member should have been made to apologise too. I saw him three additional times during our stay and he made no apology. A few days later, I was thinking about the room we had paid for - a Double Queen Economy. This is advertised on their website as 14 - 16 m2, with a rain shower. I realised that our room was much smaller, with a tiny closet-sized bathroom and a room just big enough for a double bed. I decided to discuss this with the manager and she exclaimed that she couldn't give the exact sizes for all of the rooms and the only difference was that ours was 0.8 m2 (13.2 m2) smaller than 14 m2. I said "No - you advertise a completely different bedroom with a photo of a very large bathroom with duel-faucets and a rain shower, in an advert that specifically says rain shower". I call this false advertising. Like the man on the first night we checked in, she was also very rude to deal with and argued with me for about 10 minutes before agreeing that "the room is not suitable for two persons, for six nights". She offered me a refund of 7.4% per day, which I had no choice but to accept. We had booked 44 days in advance, so the hotel could have made sure we had a decent room. GUESTS ARE NOT MADE TO FEEL WELCOME, BUT INSTEAD TO FEEL AS IF THEY ARE AN INCONVENIENCE. WE WERE SO GLAD TO LEAVE. BEWARE OF FALSE ADVERTISING AND DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Be sure to contact the manager and ask them to confirm the size of your room or you probably won'...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scarce_nz
Marie-France R, Deputy General Manager at Hotel City Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Hotel City Inn-Guest, I remember your case very well, as it was me you discussed with regarding the room size and advertising on our website. For the wrong deposit charge, made by our night auditor we apologized already twice times and offered you free breakfast for this, but once more I am truly sorry for this inconvenience.

For the explanation of size difference of 0.8 m2 I explained you on spot that we have 30 rooms and 30 different sizes, therefore we can not advertise the 100 % correct room size for every room. Otherwise we would have to put 30 different room descriptions on our website.

I also admitted on spot that 13.2 m2 is not 14 m2, but how can we correct, respectively act, when you complain only 5 nights after check in? Talking to us at the beginning, we would have offered you a room change. But at this period, we were only able to give you a reduction, and offered you a 7.4 % off for a room with 5.8 % missing size. What more could we do?
Kind regards.
Marie-France Richert
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great location across the street from the train station. The room is small but newly decorated and very nice. Our room overlooked a quiet side street. In room air conditioning. Also included is a free ticket for the bus and tram lines, including a trip to the Basel airport. A five minute walk to the old town. There are many lovely parks, we even saw people swimming in the Rhine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Hotel City Inn Guest
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words. We hope to welcome you back again to the Hotel. In the meantime we wish you all the very best.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a fine 3star hotel right outside Basel train station. There are many tram and bus lines available that will get you anywhere in town and you can use all of them free of charge with the Mobility Ticket issued by all Basel hotels. A great service, which more cities should introduce!

Hotel City Inn shares its reception with the 4star Euler Hotel. This means excellent service for a budget price (well, for Swiss standards of course). The City Inn is in a building behind the Euler and this means that you will have to walk through corridors and stairways to get to your room. This did not bother us at all, as the friendly porter of Hotel Euler carried our bag for us.

Our room was of a fair size (could maybe have been bit bigger) but OK. The bathroom was also fine, though also on the small size (with a small sink). There was an airco, free and fast WIFI and a laptop sized safe. My partner twice banged her head on the open safe door (the room is on the small side, as I mentioned), so make sure to close it (also the porter banged his head).

I would happily recommand this hotel to friends and family and would for sure stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night on our way to Germany. We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 teenagers) We booked the family room. This was actually two rooms. The teens stayed on their side with two beds and we were on the other side with huge queen/king bed. Our two rooms were connected and we shared a big beautiful bathroom, with separate toilet, double basin and huge rain shower. Every room had own tv and aircon. Everything in the room and bathroom were modern and clean. The hotel is just across the Basel railway station, and across a tram stop. We opted for room only, and did not have breakfast at the hotel, although they do serve breakfast. At our room rate, breakfast was at an additional cost. When entering Hotel City Inn, you have to make use of Hotel Euler's reception desk, all worked absolutely fine, the reception and check inn staff were very friendly and helpfull and we had no problem to find the hotel. Will we stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank blackspaniel
dfankhauser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear City Inn Guest
Thank you for your great review. We are pleased you had an enjoable stay.
We are proud of our employees who every day make a great job.
Hopefully see you soon in Basel.
Kind regards.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We are a family of 4. The Family Suite consisted of 2 separate rooms and a very big bathroom. The suite was perfect for our family and the saving grace for the hotel as the staff and our initial contact with the hotel was anything but perfect.
The hotel is owned by the Hotel Euler, and you must check in through this hotel. Though it is mentioned on the website that you must check in through the Hotel Euler, it was not mentioned in my confirmation, and I had not read the website for those details. Both hotels are in a good location, by the Basel train station. It is easy to get to from the airport. However, the Hotel City Inn is not visible from the train station. Though there is a sign outside the Hotel Euler to check in for the Hotel City Inn, it is not very noticeable, and our family spent an inordinate amount of time walking around, dragging our luggage, looking for the Hotel City Inn entrance. Once we realized that we had to check in at another hotel, we were asked to wait for hotel staff to take us to our room as it was 'complicated' to find our room from the lobby. We waited close to 10 minutes for someone to take us. Upon asking if we could go to our room on our own after waiting several minutes, because our children were tired, we were told no. In actuality, we could have easily found our room by following the signs the hotel staff had put up. This was not a good impression.
However, the room itself made up for the frustrations we had with finding the place, and what we felt was an un-acommodating welcome staff. The suite was clean, big and air conditioned. I would return for the suite, not the service.

Room Tip: There is an option for breakfast, but it is very expensive for a typical European buffet. There is a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family